Do you suffer in silence at work to be a "good employee?"

Do you suffer in silence at work to be a "good employee?"

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 24 votes

In an environment with few defined benefits, zero pensions and crappy 401ks when will we begin to value productive employees?

My sister and I were discussing work ethic. She is salaried and ask to work seventy hour weeks while her company is going through rough times. Meanwhile, it is their policy that upon separation all employees lose their benefits the following day at midnight.

Also, when a parent requires a few hours to pick up a child or attend a school function what is the first question?

"Sure, but when will you be able to make up that time?"

Internal reaction: You @#$%
External reaction: I will look at my schedule and get back to you
about the logistics.

If morale is tanking and I truly value a company, I will voice my concerns. Also, there are limits to my time:
Do not expect an email returned in an hour if it's after business.
Do not call me on the weekend or send me updates when on
vacation.
Just because I have a smartphone doesn't mean we need to
communicate 24/7

I value my time and a balanced work relationship is very important.

What's your experience?

0Reply
14 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    I don't know. I haven't worked full time at a job in 3 years now. I think it would kill me anymore. I do remember it sucking though.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 24 votes
    16y

    Tim,

    I hear you. Freelancing/investing and other means really open a tidal pool of methods. It's about what's best for personal preference.

    At one undergraduate position a few librarians were steadily employed with the same branch for 40 years. That would work very badly with my own philosophy.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    16y

    In my younger days I walked from several jobs that didn't appreciate me or treat me right. That road led to self-employment.

    The work is harder, the pay often low for the hours put in, my retirement is not guaranteed, my silent partner (the government) is greedy and corrupt, and the people I work with (tradesmen, etc.) and for (tenants) range from injuriously stupid to outright evil.

    If I could go back and become a pipe-smoking, tenured, co-ed chasing, leather-elbow-patched college professor I'd certainly be tempted.

    But alas, here I am griping on BP while my tenured friends contemplate which European country to tour during their three month summer vacation........

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    16y

    There's a reason why I'm self employed. I don't grovel well.

    However, for those who work for a living: in this economy, if you've got a job you might want to hang on to it.

    Nobody is going to pay you to have fun, and nobody is going to keep an employee who isn't generating income for the company.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2009 · 263 posts · 92 votes
    16y

    David, I will take a shot at this since I have been through this in the past.

    I personally view my working for a company as a relationship. It can end at any time, depending on your partner the benefits will change, some take little work, some a lot of work, some can keep going in your absence, some grind to a halt. The first thing you have to determine is what financial situation are you in. If you decide to leave can you afford to be out of work and cover expenses. It is always best to find another job prior to leaving the last from a recruiters stand point.

    As for benefits, again I go with my relationship analogy. Due you continue to buy your ex girlfriend/boyfriend stuff? I will probably draw some fire from this next statement but I will take it. When you are hired they detail your job description and requirements, if I'm asked to do anything outside my job requirements I want to know what is in it for me If I am asked to cover the work load of someone who was fired, I want to know what is in it for me (days off, pay, promotion, great challenge) Probably the most important question I ask besides how much does the position pay is, Walk me through a normal day for someone working in this position.

    My background is I have worked for numerous large multi-national organizations. Due to cutbacks, layoffs, firings I've had to due all my work and another persons for months while not going over 40 hours a week. If I truly like a company, am happy working there, know that this is temporary and not an indication of poor management throughout the company and that I can benefit from it than I would stick it out.

    You can always work on building outside or residual income through RE and continue work. Regarding the personal phone, I never give work my mobile number. If they give me a mobile phone there is an agreement when they can call me.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 24 votes
    16y

    P NW:

    I like your statement and agree that work should be valuable to the employer.

    As such, my general question is when employees require "give" due to family or other circumstances does the relationship seem skewed?

    Time is the investment. You are correct that if no money is made by the company you are let go.

    At the end of it all, do you look back at 70 hour weeks at salary and think it equitable?

    It is a question for the self employed as well because it rests on a soft spot for many - setting boundaries. If a client is expecting rapid turn around meanwhile all of my requests are going "unheard" that's the same type of inbalance.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    16y

    It really depends on the situation and what each party is getting out of it...

    I did the 80-hour per week thing at a full-time job for several years. I answered email 24 hours/day, I had phone conferences during my (very infrequent) vacations, I flew overseas on a couple hours notice, I worked weekends/holidays, etc. The company I worked for took complete advantage of me and my time, and asked for absolutely ridiculous dedication.

    Did I ever complain? Absolutely not...

    I worked with some of the brightest, most innovative and most influential people in the world and made enough money in a couple years to retire.

    It was a win/win situation...

    I'm guessing that most people out there would have loved to have had the opportunity I had, and wouldn't have complained about it for a second.

    So, it really depends on the situation and what both parties are getting out of it...

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 24 votes
    16y

    J Scott:

    Great response. What I hear is that the bargain was worth it for you.

    Though the time was a huge investment you feel the interaction with top talent allowed you to develop and become financially secure.

    If this is the case, it is a win-win situation. As long as there is a value other than a diminished salary due to unpaid overages - in your case exposure to influential "movers" - the utility can be found.

    In my case, however, the client was barely organized, complained instead of "managed," and was largely ineffective. A different scenario altogether.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.