If you got rich as a REI what would you then do?

If you got rich as a REI what would you then do?

Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2009 · 32 posts · 1 vote

Say you did REI for a while, made big money, and were able to retire. What would you like to do with your time and money? I'd like to travel more.

0Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
17y

I'm fairly happy with my situation. I did make a lot of money in RE. As many know , I retired at 29 and raised 6 kids. I did travel and play a lot. Boring. We just finished our 24th cruise and I've been to most countries. We already have our 25th and 26th cruise reserved.26th will be a 27 day cruise!! So, I got back into real estate, and have been buying and building like crazy for last couple years. All of this goes into trusts for my grand kids and future generations. My early history is related in the Meet The Investor section of BP and also in a book I wrote and have given to many BP members. Rich.

See this reply in the discussion

41 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    I'm fairly happy with my situation. I did make a lot of money in RE. As many know , I retired at 29 and raised 6 kids. I did travel and play a lot. Boring. We just finished our 24th cruise and I've been to most countries. We already have our 25th and 26th cruise reserved.26th will be a 27 day cruise!! So, I got back into real estate, and have been buying and building like crazy for last couple years. All of this goes into trusts for my grand kids and future generations. My early history is related in the Meet The Investor section of BP and also in a book I wrote and have given to many BP members. Rich.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Rich Weese:
    I'm fairly happy with my situation. I did make a lot of money in RE. As many know , I retired at 29 and raised 6 kids. I did travel and play a lot. Boring. We just finished our 24th cruise and I've been to most countries. We already have our 25th and 26th cruise reserved.26th will be a 27 day cruise!! So, I got back into real estate, and have been buying and building like crazy for last couple years. All of this goes into trusts for my grand kids and future generations. My early history is related in the Meet The Investor section of BP and also in a book I wrote and have given to many BP members. Rich.


    Hey can I have a copy of your book :mrgreen:
  • Aurora, IL · Member since 2008 · 153 posts · 20 votes
    17y

    me too lol....I'd sit back and enjoy it for a little while (Lord knows i'd worked my butt off to earn it). I'm sure I would get bored and have to find something to do.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2008 · 553 posts · 20 votes
    17y

    Matt,

    I'd probably do some traveling spend a lot of time studying subjects that interest me maybe go back to school but, I've never really needed someone to tell me what books to read. I have always found immersing myself in something and speaking with successful individuals in the industry to be what I enjoy.

    Practice some philanthropy.

    I'm particularly interested in patients, cosmology, particle physics and especially alternative energy.

    Maybe settle down find a good women have a couple children.

    Actually this is more of what I am planning on doing in five years than what I would do if but, guess the only difference between a goal and a dream is the PLAN!

    Best, Lee

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    As Rich said, being retired is B O R I N G! I can't do it. You can only play so much and that gets to be routine. So, my path was to build my business to the point that I could semi-retire and work just the amount that I want to (typically about 12-16 hours each week).

    What do I like to do? Go camping; mountain biking; scuba diving; motorcycle riding; snow boarding, etc.

    Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    To those asking about book, pm me.(after becoming a colleague)

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    I think I would spend some time painting more. A passion of mine I don't have much time to do anymore . I also think it wouldn't be long before I'd look for a way to turn my hobby into a money maker. ..I belive everyone needs something productive to do everyday to live a happier, longer life.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    I would go to Disneyland!

    (Oh wait, already been there plus that comment is played out although it was too tempting to not plug it here)

  • Real Estate Investor · Miami Lakes, FL · Member since 2009 · 1 post · 0 votes
    17y

    I would definitely travel more and maybe study something in a foreign country for a few months, nothing heavy just something different. Then back to creating a legacy for the grandchildren.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Anderson, SC · Member since 2008 · 350 posts · 70 votes
    17y

    Keep on doing the same thing but at a slower pace. I would get bored if I retired completely.

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 716 posts · 41 votes
    17y

    I haven't gone to 'work' in a long time. I go to 'play' everyday. That is not to say I am retired, I just really enjoy my life and what I do each day.

    Thus, "if I got rich" I would keep doing the same thing.

    Not to go all philosophical on you, but I have never believed 'rich' or 'successful' to be defined by the amount of money in my pocket or bank account. To me it is family, health, happiness, and enjoying what one does.

  • Real Estate Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2009 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    17y

    I'm planning on retiring to Marco Island in Florida, playing lots of golf, traveling with my wife and making more money in RE.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
    17y

    My goal is to be in a position to give a house a year away to someone who really needs, and deserves it.

    Other than that, money does not change anything for me. I would just keep investing and helping others.

    There is nothing on this planet I would rather do than what I am doing right now!

    - Harrison Painter

  • Real Estate Investor · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    I've had the money and I've been broke. Having money is much more fun, but it doesn't make you any smarter or healthier or more respected.
    Someone once said , " Just do the work and the money will follow". "Then take it and do as much good with it as you can" !! You'll be happy

  • sandy, OR · Member since 2009 · 18 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    fishing, fishing and.... oh yeah, more fishing. spend more time with my wife and kids and id probably go to school to do me some learnin'. i have so many interests i could definitely kill some time in a class room.

  • Commercial Real Estate Agent · Encino - Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 123 posts · 11 votes
    17y

    For me if...no no WHEN i become successful i'd like to:

    Fight: I'm an amature MMA fighter and I don't get to train a lot cause i work so much

    Learn: Stocks, Hedgefunds, IPO's, REITS

    Camp: i love the mountains and the wilderness and the smokey smell of the campfire on your clothes the next morning.

    Give my girlfriend the life of her dreams and raise some hellspawns (aka kids)

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    17y

    Most people retire and die from boredom. I would keep doing real estate. Thats really all I know how to do......

    I someday plan to go to college and just take the classes I want to.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2008 · 340 posts · 34 votes
    17y

    Go back to school and get my a Master’s in History or International Relations
    Volunteer more
    Become more politically involved at the grass roots level
    Travel like crazy
    Ride motorcycles all over the place (like Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman have done)

    However, I doubt I’d ever FULLY retire. Doing deals is too much fun.

  • Select a State · Member since 2009 · 156 posts · 17 votes
    17y

    Travel more
    Eat out more/better restaurants
    Donate more
    Summer home
    Ski/golf more/better places
    Cook better food

  • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2009 · 20 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    I'd do more of the volunteer work that I like doing. I really believe I've found my purpose in life, and I want to pursue that full time.

    I calculate that I only need $1.5M more to retire. No problem!

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    17y

    First I would sleep.. Then I would hunt, fish and when I got bored with that, I would figure out what type of business's that are needed to bring my community back and then start those business's.

  • Note Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 42 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    I would definitely continue investing, I feel like its a game and I always liked a new challenge.

    Home school my children so we could travel worldwide--I would invest overseas too.

    Adopt children--give them a loving home the opportunity for a better quality of life.

    Mentor people who want more but can't find their way--make their dreams come true.

  • Real Estate Investor · Calgary · Member since 2008 · 92 posts · 3 votes
    17y

    Make higher goals.

  • Developer · Waikoloa, HI · Member since 2009 · 82 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    I would travel to places I have never been and to places that I have been in the past to see the changes. I would find ways to create more jobs for people. I would create foundations to help people to be financially secure. I would find ways to teach financial education in our schools. I would help family and friends on how to create financial freedom.

  • Bailey, CO · Member since 2009 · 36 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    I will definitely enjoy of what I have earned from my hard work in REI, like travel, have wonderful time with my family I'll give what ever they ask for.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.