Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Off Topic
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Aubrey Ford
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Votes |
Purchasing community well

Aubrey Ford
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Atlanta
Posted

So one of the properties I own gets it water from a community well. The well serves about 74 properties (some lots are vacant)  of which currently 40 are paying and the owner estimates as many as 18 may be stealing water. She wants to sell the 1/2 acre and the two wells that feed the community as her husband who passed away set it all up and maintained it,  I don't think she has been keeping up. She says she just doesn't want to deal with it anymore as she is elderly and its a hassle for her. Claims she would make me a great deal to get rid of it... I am skeptical, but doing as much due diligence as I can. Its not really my wheelhouse. 

I am just starting the investigation to figure out if this could be profitable. These are the few numbers I have (purely based on first conversation) 

Her operating costs are about $900-$1000/month. about $450 for the county to come inspect once a month, costs of upkeep, meter reading, invoicing etc.  She says the average water bill is about $40/month which equates to Gross income of about $1800/month currently. Taxes run about $600 a year.  

I think she does not want the hassle of finding/fixing the water thieves to make the business worth keeping. But I think if I can solve the water stealing problems, this could make some good profits. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

Loading replies...