What Do You Think is the Most Important Skill in Life

What Do You Think is the Most Important Skill in Life

Lender · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2012 · 714 posts · 169 votes

According to an article in Forbes.com, the most important life skill could surprise you. I always take online reports, surveys, and the like with a grain of salt, but because this article was written based on someone’s opinion, I decided to take a peek. I was actually quite surprised by the answer to the question posed in the title, and for this reason wanted to share.

According to Maryling Yu, the most important skill in life is mastering your emotions. Or as Yu puts it, “getting happy and staying happy.” I guess in many aspects this is true, and there are two good points in the article. One is about choosing to be happy despite the circumstances. The other point is about not letting others “own” your emotions, for example when you say that someone else made you mad.

But in business it’s difficult for me to pinpoint just one skill that could be the most “important” skill. In business, no matter what career path one could take, there are so many important skills that are necessary for success such as good relationship building skills, technological know-how, etc. But in Yu’s article she makes a clever point about your emotions being at the base of all of these other skills. That when you’re happy, it’s easier to do all the things effortlessly, which are required for success.

Did the answer to this question surprise you? What would your own answer be to the question, “What could be the most important skill in life?”

Read the entire article here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/sungardas/2013/12/19/the-most-important-skill-in-life-its-not-what-you-think/

Posted by Corey Curwick Dutton

0Reply
8 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2013 · 336 posts · 54 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed The most important skill IMHO is not the same for everyone. It really depends on the person, their morals and values, and goals in life. Can you define happiness for you and I, will it be the same, or maybe it will be much different. Happiness is very important in life, I have read several books with this concept; The Millionaire Mind and How to win friends and influence people. Both of these books have really changed my perception of life and interaction with others. Even with the examples in both books, not everyone defined happiness as being important but most did. I can't wait to see other's thoughts.

  • Investor · Northridge, CA · Member since 2012 · 249 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    Great question, it made me think quiet a bit.

    I would personally say the most important skill is being able to adapt. Everything changes around us (from real estate markets, to people behavior...etc) and I noticed the people I look up to are the ones that adapt real quick.

    A close second (and third) in my book would be patience & persistence.

  • Lender · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2012 · 714 posts · 169 votes
    12y

    Thanks for your comments. Loved this article and wanted to share...

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    this sums it up for me :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.