Dodged a bullet: Sex offender next door

Dodged a bullet: Sex offender next door

Real Estate Investor · Rantoul, IL · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 9 votes

I have been working on acquiring properties in my area to fix and flip. I came across a really sweet deal. 3 Bed 2 bath, 2014 sq feet, fenced yard, 2 car garage, etc. It was a foreclosure going for about 24,900 in almost move in ready condition. I thought I had hit the jackpot since I have a friend who was looking for a home for him and his family. It seemed to good to be true. Then tonight I was checking the sex offender registry for the area (i have two small children, I like to know if a registered offender lives near me and where). Just for kicks, I put in the address of the property I was working on. Imagine my shock when I learned that a registered sex offender lived right next door to the property. I immediately contacted the agent and withdrew my offer, explaining my reasoning.

What are everyones thoughts on a situation like this? Has anyone ever run into this? What would you have done?

0Reply
8 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2012 · 83 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    Hmmmm...... you would be surprised, that some do not consider sex offender as reasoning to withdraw an offer, besides.... try looking at each neighbors background through public records. On the flip side folks always move. There are crazies EVERYWHERE!

  • Real Estate Broker · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2012 · 83 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    Just to piggy back you did what you felt comfortable with though.

  • Wholesaler · Washington, D.C · Member since 2011 · 449 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    I would do what I feel is right. I personally think you did the right thing, prioritizing safety over anything else. I would have done the same if I was in your position.

    I'm sure more sweet deals will come your way...that just wasn't worth the risk of putting your family's friend in such an uncertain situation, especially when you knew something could go wrong.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 17 votes
    12y
    Way to do your due diligence! This is something I would not have thought of. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Real Estate Investor in Training · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2011 · 54 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    Agree with Jane , would have never thought of doing this , but will certainly add to the repertoire.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.