Illegal duplex in Miami needing to be reclassified

Illegal duplex in Miami needing to be reclassified

Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 2 votes

Hello fellow BPer's! I'm in search of my first deal and came across a property that is currently listed as a single family home on my local property appraiser, however appears that the home was illegally converted to a duplex at some time (which is very common here in Miami). The funny thing is that it's in a area that is actually zoned for duplexes. The asking price looks good although I could use the "illegal conversion" as negotiation to get the price down ever more. Property appears to being cash flowing nicely although I'm still punching the numbers.

My question is to anyone who has gone thru the process of reclassifying their property from single family to a duplex (especially in South Florida). Not sure what to expect for timeline and cost. Seems like I would be able to do so as long as the units have been properly modified per local building codes.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!! 

1Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 · 52 posts · 40 votes
6y

Ahh..the joys of investing in Miami. Seems like EVERY Miami home has some sort of illegal efficiency or multifamily conversion. 

I'm not too versed on the subject but a couple things I would definitely look out for. Is your specific lot zoned duplex? Also a lot of these illegal conversions are done with such shoddy work it's possible you may have to re-do everything (electrical, plumbing, etc). Permitting for all of this may take awhile depending on which office you need to go to. If it's the building department office in Brickell it is an absolute nightmare and took me 2 months just to get my windows permitted! Goodluck and would love to hear updates on the process as this seems to be a common problem in South Florida

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 52 posts · 40 votes
    6y

    Ahh..the joys of investing in Miami. Seems like EVERY Miami home has some sort of illegal efficiency or multifamily conversion. 

    I'm not too versed on the subject but a couple things I would definitely look out for. Is your specific lot zoned duplex? Also a lot of these illegal conversions are done with such shoddy work it's possible you may have to re-do everything (electrical, plumbing, etc). Permitting for all of this may take awhile depending on which office you need to go to. If it's the building department office in Brickell it is an absolute nightmare and took me 2 months just to get my windows permitted! Goodluck and would love to hear updates on the process as this seems to be a common problem in South Florida

  • Real Estate Consultant · Seattle WA | Miami FL &|Ft. Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2019 · 95 posts · 29 votes
    6y

    @John Kihm

    Great question John!!

    @Sean Howell is right. It is extremely common to come across here. The general consensus about those type of properties seems to be that most purchasers ignore it being illegally converted however I would advise to always do things above board and the right way. Last thing that you want to deal with is code violations and a headache of potentially having to demolish past work!

    I work with another investor who has gone through the ropes though I think. Let me reach out to him so we can discuss it during our call on Thursday!

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 506 posts · 205 votes
    6y

    If you are verifying on Miami-Dade property appraiser site, that is frequently wrong. Go to the local jurisdiction office (e.g. Miami) and double check what it is & historically has been. If it has ever had two stoves on the property card - it was at some point a legal duplex = you could be grandfathered in. Verify with the city though! Best of luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.