Learning learning learning. Ready to roll.

Learning learning learning. Ready to roll.

Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 3 votes

Hey all! I am 36, with a degree as Medical Doctor, never getting into practice. I've been working for the last 2.5 years behind a desk, and I had become trapped in position, until recently becoming interested in real estate, and finally seeing a way out. My dad died of COVID in January 2021. He is an immigrant from Guyana, the hardest worker I have ever known. His blood and sweat decorate everything we have at home.

I held a Zoom wake service for my father after his passing, reconnected with a lot of family I barely knew, and they shared sweet stories of my father in his younger days. They were all so sweet. One cousin I re-connected with, he recently reposted a post by thachnguyen, which I then saw, and which sparked me on this quest for real estate knowledge. This was probably a month ago. Two days ago, a different cousin and I got to talking about education and college, and I brought up Rich Dad Poor Dad, which I only read less than a week ago. He sent me the link of the BiggerPockets episode with Robert Kiyosaki. That episode sparked me to watch a bunch of other BiggerPockets episodes, including how to buy a rental property in 90 days, and then the BRRRR episode. Needless to say, I'm beyond excited to learn more, figure out the process, gain confidence, find a core 4, learn more, study more, and I feel that the wheels are finally on track and I have direction and purpose. Thank you to everyone who did this first, and for the invaluable lessons that I could not find in my years of study prior. I'm ready to devote my energy to the process, and I'm ready to change the future for my family. Thanks all.

-Chris

2Reply
13 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan GuentherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Longmont, CO · Member since 2019 · 548 posts · 271 votes
    4y

    @Christopher Dudhnath

    Welcome to the BiggerPockets community! No matter where you stand in your real estate investing journey, BiggerPockets is the ultimate resource for all of your investing needs. I’d suggest starting out by networking with as many other investors as possible and being an active participant in the forums.

    If you haven’t already subscribed to the BiggerPockets podcasts, do that ASAP. Look for meetups in your area (virtual) on Meetup.com or FB Groups, attend free webinars, start reading as much as possible on any and all topics related to investing and real estate. Use the forums to help you search for the answers to all of your questions. If you can’t find your answers, then create your own post!

    Feel free to reach out if you want more specific advice.

    Good luck and get educated!

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Love it. Thank you for the advice!

  • Developer · Houston TX · Member since 2018 · 423 posts · 400 votes
    4y

    @Christopher Dudhnath

    First wanted to say my condolences to you and your family. Real estate is a great investment tool to get ahead and set yourself up for a great retirement. You are on the right path. Keep learning, go to meetups, listen to BP podcasts. Real Estate has so many different ways to make money. Check the different ways from listening to others on the podcast share their experiences then find that one that you really like and double down. If you are in a high tax bracket you can use RE in ways to help reduce your taxes. Whichever avenue you take enjoy it and don't stop learning. Welcome to BP.

    Best of Luck 

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Christopher Dudhnath

    It’s nice to have you here!

    This is a great forum with very knowledgeable members that will help to guide you in the right direction.

    The site has quite a few tools that can be helpful for new members. For example, if you are looking to connect with other members near you, want to learn from people in a specific area you’d like to invest in, or have a desire to find people interested in certain topics, you could use the search feature here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users


    I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that may be of interest: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    4y

    @Christopher Dudhnath, welcome to the BP community!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.