New Member/Investor in Southern California

New Member/Investor in Southern California

Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 29 votes

After spending about a week reading many (thats an understatement) posts on BiggerPockets, I finally decided today was the day I sign up and move our relationship to the next step.

I have always been interested in the possibilities Real Estate can provide. In December 2009 I purchased my first home, lived in it for 2 years while doing minor rehab and now I am renting it.

I found BiggerPockets because of a man named Danny Johnson who is on here. I stumbled upon his blog (luckily). I hope you do not mind my reference to you, but thank you.

With that said, I am Eric Hettena and I truly thank you all who have posted questions, ideas, input and suggestions on this site. You have all aided in my abilities to pursue my dreams.

I plan to market, market, market and find motivated sellers to purchase, rehab and flip single family homes in Los Angeles, CA. Get in, get out and go to the next.

Cheers

Eric Hettena

0Reply
26 views

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Upland, CA · Member since 2013 · 42 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Welcome Eric. I'm new here too. I am located in the inland Empire. Doing my best to make my dreams a reality. Good luck and hope things develop for you. I

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Eric Hettena Welcome to BP! Have you filled out the keyword alerts yet? That helps find what you're interested in, be it people, areas, types of property, etc. We are in O.C., and there's not a lot here, but it seems when we do look online for deals, they're all in L.A.! However; we don't know that area well enough to know what areas are most marketable, values, etc.

    Cory Rogers Welcome to BP to you too. Maybe you can upload a profile pic? How's things over in the Inland Empire? I know there were some really great buys sometime back.

  • Bondurant, IA · Member since 2012 · 13 posts · 18 votes
    13y

    Welcome aboard, Eric! You have come to the right place, for sure!

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 29 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Cory Rogers:
    Welcome Eric. I'm new here too. I am located in the inland Empire. Doing my best to make my dreams a reality. Good luck and hope things develop for you. I

    That is fantastic. Keep your dreams alive. I know you can reach them. Represent the 909 and the IE.

    I will keep my eye on your progress on here and wish you all the best.

    Thank you for welcoming me.

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 29 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Karen Margrave:
    Eric Hettena Welcome to BP! Have you filled out the keyword alerts yet? That helps find what you're interested in, be it people, areas, types of property, etc. We are in O.C., and there's not a lot here, but it seems when we do look online for deals, they're all in L.A.! However; we don't know that area well enough to know what areas are most marketable, values, etc.

    Cory Rogers Welcome to BP to you too. Maybe you can upload a profile pic? How's things over in the Inland Empire? I know there were some really great buys sometime back.

    Karen thank you for the great welcome and the reccomendation to check out the keyword alerts. I will do that for sure.

    I have a feeling your going to get a new deal very soon in the O.C. I do love that area. We will keep in touch my fellow So Cal BiggerPockets'er.

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 29 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Matt Sheridan:
    Welcome aboard, Eric! You have come to the right place, for sure!

    Matt thank you. I hope all is well with you.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2012 · 233 posts · 45 votes
    13y

    Hey Eric,

    Welcome ! You have made the right choice. BP has so much great information. I'm in Santa Barbara ( expensive market ) which is close to La. Let me know if you need anything! Welcome again and have a good day

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 29 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Tony Cavalli:
    Hey Eric,

    Welcome ! You have made the right choice. BP has so much great information. I'm in Santa Barbara ( expensive market ) which is close to La. Let me know if you need anything! Welcome again and have a good day

    I love Santa Barbara, gorgeous area. Thank you for extending an offer to help me. I very well might take you up on that one day.

    I am not sure if there is a specific area to post my daily activities, but I thought it would be fun to share what I am up to.

    Each night I plan out what I want to accomplish the following day. I do still have a full time job so time management will be the toughest battle, but not a concern.

    Today my focus is on calling Title/Escrow companies to build a relationship, but ultimately I want an Abesentee Owners list they can provide me. If they want my business, I want their lists. Sounds fair.

    I am definitely open to any recommendations on companies I should call. For now, I googled companies and going to spend the next 30 minutes calling them.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Eric Hettena welcome to BiggerPockets! I'm also a big fan of Danny Johnson's blog! He's a bright guy!

    If you haven't yet, be sure to read through:

    1.) Check out our "Start Here" page
    2.) Check out "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing."

    Also - I'd definitely recommend (if you don't have it yet) the new flipping book from BiggerPockets, as it will help a lot with these questions. We released the first ever major book last week from BiggerPockets, "The Book on Flipping Houses" along with "The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs." You may want to check those out here - they are both excellent!

    Seeya around the site!

    Oh - also - be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts for some of the topics you are knowledgeable about, or other topics that interest you (like Flip, Los Angeles, Rehab, etc ) so you'll be notified that those words were mentioned in the forums and can jump into those conversations! It's also an awesome way to meet new people from your area when they introduce themselves to this forum!

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2010 · 328 posts · 182 votes
    13y

    Hey Eric.

    I certainly don't mind being mentioned when it is a compliment. :)

    Same to you, @Brandon_Turner.

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 29 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Brandon Turner:
    Hey Eric Hettena welcome to BiggerPockets! I'm also a big fan of Danny Johnson's blog! He's a bright guy!

    If you haven't yet, be sure to read through:

    1.) Check out our "Start Here" page
    2.) Check out "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing."

    Also - I'd definitely recommend (if you don't have it yet) the new flipping book from BiggerPockets, as it will help a lot with these questions. We released the first ever major book last week from BiggerPockets, "The Book on Flipping Houses" along with "The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs." You may want to check those out here - they are both excellent!

    Seeya around the site!

    Oh - also - be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts for some of the topics you are knowledgeable about, or other topics that interest you (like Flip, Los Angeles, Rehab, etc ) so you'll be notified that those words were mentioned in the forums and can jump into those conversations! It's also an awesome way to meet new people from your area when they introduce themselves to this forum!

    Brandon

    Thank you for welcoming me and providing me with some great rescources to make my experience here the best it can be.

    Eric

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 29 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Danny Johnson:
    Hey Eric.

    I certainly don't mind being mentioned when it is a compliment. :)

    Same to you, @Brandon_Turner.

    Danny

    Thank you so much for stopping by my introduction post and taking the time to stop by.

    Eric

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 29 votes
    13y

    After some substantial reading and a quick crash course in as much info I can collect on REI, I knew at some point action had to be taken to put some of the things I was learning into real life scenarios.

    I made a goal to send out my first, and not last, direct mail campaign by the end of this month. Pleasingly, last Thursday my first batch was mailed out. When I woke up today I knew the countdown started and someone was opening their mail to find my letter.

    Excitingly, today I have received 2 calls. The first, not a lead in any shape or form, but the second call was much more interesting, though only promising at best.

    I am looking at the property tomorrow, although I suspect, based mostly on instinct, that this will not be a deal.

    It's definitely nice to see the knowledge I have gathered here at Bigger Pockets, and elsewhere, turn into being one step closer to my goal.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.