Newbie here looking to start my investment journey

Newbie here looking to start my investment journey

New to Real Estate · NJ · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 6 votes

Hey all,

Heres my story...

So i think im doing the back***wards but lucked into a 3 unit househack then found this website last week.  So I i'm 37 and was tired of renting so i decided to start looking for a condo about 45 minutes from work to be closer to family.  I looked for a year and found jacksquat.  After talking with my brother in law he told me i was being a moron and if iw as going to buy with the hours i work i should be as close as possible to work.  So i started looking in Bergen County NJ.  I was not looking for an investment infact it never crossed my mind, I just wanted a place for me and my future wife (if i ever find one).  I realized that my monthly payments for a condo and a single family was the same and shifted my focus.  Then i realized that some mulit families were comparable to the single families i was looking at.  My budget was 500k so i had some choices.  I had the towns i dreamed of but were out of my budget for the most part.

Then my agent sent me a listing for 500k in a town i thought i could never afford.  I went to look at it and every unit needed a full upgrade/facelift.  Being an Engineer and having done house renovations with my dad i knew what i was looking at in renovations (about 40k with the labor being done by me and my dad).  The house was an estate sale on the market for over 270 days and was built in 1928.

In mid Febuary Ioffered 435 and insisted in an inspection they were fine with the price but did not want an inspection.  So the deal was lost.  At the end of April during the height of the pandemic in North Jersey the house came back on the market and i immediatly jumped on it and offered 420 with an inspection.  They came back at 425 and are ok with the inspection.  Jump forward im about to close on Tuesday.

The house was assessed for the mortgage at 500k and was told by my agent and my own research that the house could be assessed after renovations at around 600k.  I feel like i lucked into a great deal.  

I plan on house hacking.  The one bedroom will go for 1500 and the 2 bedroom 2500 with mortgage taxes and insurance at 2500 a month.  The house has plenty of Hospitals/Universities in the area and a 20 minute train and bus ride to NYC with stops right in the middle of town.


Like i said i just found this site last week and i feel like i went around this backwards. Id appreciate any help. After finding this and reading the basics i feel like i could use this house to BRRR. I just started reading it and plan to use it to buy more multifamilies and holding them and renting them.

A few questions i have are:

1. What other books would you reccomend to gain more info and knowledge

2. What other expenses should i be looking at

3. Where can i look to start networking around here (Bergen County, NJ/North NJ)

4. I plan on self managing for now and found Cozy but is that the best app/site to use?  What forms do i need?

5. Also any info i can get to find a way to find a mentor or a group to help guide me would be awesome.  I like having multiple ways to gather info and help to properly make a plan.

I really wish i found this site sooner and was able to collect the info and make a plan before i bought it, I feel like im playing catchup and dont like that feeling.

Thank you for reading and any info you provide.

Giancarlo

1Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    6y

    Hey!!  That sounds like a decent deal, especially for a first deal and house hack!  Good work!

    1. BRRRR book by David Greene, Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner , book on property management Brandon and Heather Turner- all great books that will help you with your initial journey into being an onsite landlord!

    2. Vacancy, insurance, deferred maintenance, etc.  MUCH more info in the rental property book

    3. Try the EVENTS tab under NETWORKING above, search meetup.com as well

    4. You will need state specific forms, BP has some, your agent might also have some.  Otherwise you will have to use a boilerplate NJ one and tweak it to your liking or have your lawyer draft some for you.

    5. Good ideas!  When you start networking locally, that would be the first place to look!

    Good luck out there!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Collingswood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 116 votes
    6y

    @Giancarlo Rodrigues Congrats on your first deal! I hope everything works out the way you have planned.

    I’m a newbie too but some books that have helped me out are The Millionaire Real Estate Investor, Build a Rental Empire, & Investing in Duplexes, Triplexes and Quads.

    Check out meetup.com and search for real estate investment groups near you. I have gone to a few different meet ups in my area and they all have helped me out tremendously! It’s great to actually get out there and talk to other investors that have experience and are doing deals.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Giancarlo Rodrigues

    Welcome to the BP family! Great that you joined the site! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
    Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.