Hello All! Noob from the wonderful San Francisco Bay Area!

Hello All! Noob from the wonderful San Francisco Bay Area!

Stockton, CA · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hi, hi.

My name is Kelley and I stumbled across this site in my quest to look up info on some of the "guru's" and other folks promoting instruction, coaching, or an unsupported cd/cassette course. And by unsupported, I mean - if I'm going to pay $500 for your course, the least you can do is staff people to field questions to people who are looking to gain info and wisdom from your course. :-)

As I began to read some of the threads, I found that I may not have to resort to some of the things I was going to do (pay $1,000 for another "guru's course, $97/month for "personal" coaching, and the like).

I will say that my mother is a realtor, and has wanted to dabble in RE investing. So, when I say, hey, mom, what about this? Or this?' there's always the negatives as to why I shouldn't and why she isn't doing that. SO...I am absolutely gripped with fear when I see something interesting (tax liens, REO, FSBO, no money down, etc.), and know there'll be a reasonable sounding concept as to why I shouldn't.

I'm scared. Scared of succeeding and/or failing and/or prison. But this is something that I want to do. I haven't any people with whom I know who are interested in RE, my mother, the agent, isn't exactly helpful, and I haven't a ton of money left for investment because of the useless courses I've purchased.

I do hope to come across positive people, and people who've done this work, and would like to assist some of us who want to learn by doing. In return, I'd give gratitude and my first-born. (well, maybe not my first born, but am open to the thought... :-) j/k)

Need help.

Didn't mean to turn this into a Dr. Phil moment. My apologies. :-)

I look forward to interacting with many of you.

Kelley

0Reply
7 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Kelley Sullivan Welcome to BP! you can STOP paying the outrageous fees for gurus, and dig into the FREE, Bigger Pockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing! The link is at the top of the page. Also, fill out a keyword alert, top right...under the blue banner, maybe by your area, new investor, newbie, or ? whatever you want to be notified of.

    Just dig in, and you'll learn. Also, watch your local market. Your mom should be able to do that with you. Maybe you can get her to take you to check out properties, go to Open Houses, etc. Maybe you can work as an assistant or ?? Lots of ways to break into the business. Have fun!

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Welcome to BP Kelley! Don't worry about prison, it isn't really that bad...just kidding (I mean I wouldn't know). Fear is very natural when considering taking risks, we have all been there. In fact, I believe that is why so many people end up paying so much money for those courses, it helps ease their fears more than anything else.

    I agree with Karen, you should start learning your local market conditions. See how long houses stay on the market in different areas, find out what other investors are doing and how much they are paying...all of this will come in handy when you are ready to make your first investment.

    Also, start saving money! Put as much money aside as you can. Real estate investing is much easier to get into when you have your personal finances in line and have money to put to use, so make whatever changes you can to allow you to save more money.

    I don't want to flood you with advice and scare you off. The forums and blogs are filled with great people and great advice, so start learning (for FREE)!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.