Starting out in Cambridge

Starting out in Cambridge

Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello Everyone,

I am a Ph.D. student in Cambridge and I am preparing to start investing in Real Estate in a few years. Given my anticipated situation I think house hacking and renting multi family properties would be the best fit. My purpose for investing in real estate is to generate a source of passive income and to act as a hedge as I pursue a career in academia. My goal is to produce $3,500/month in passive income in 25 years.

The current plan is a follows

  • Years: 2020-2027, Occupation: Graduate student, Location: Cambridge
  • Goal: Prepare to purchase and renovate a small (~$100,000) duplex in 2027.
  • Steps:
    • Do lots of general research and networking
    • Save $38,000 to invest in the property
      • $20,000 for the down payment
      • $10,000 for renovations
      • $8,000 for expenses during vacancy.

  • Years: 2027-2030, Occupation: Post Doc, Location: TBD
  • Goal: House hack property. Get property to cash flow or at least set it so that it will cash flow when both units are rented.
  • Good Outcome: Property cash flows, hire property manager
  • Bad Outcome: Property does not and will not cash flow, Sell
  • Years: 2030-2035, Occupation: Untenured Professor, Location: TBD
  • Goal: House hack second duplex, purchase third rental property.
  • Good Outcome: Both properties cash flow, continue to grow portfolio as time and funding allow.
  • Fair Outcome: One property cash flows, move into non-cash flowing property.
  • Poor Outcome: None of my properties so far have cash flowed, reevaluate my buy-and-hold strategy.
  • Year: 2035-, Occupation: Tenured Professor, Location TBD
  • Goal: Steadily grow my portfolio as time and financing allow.

I have a few specific questions about this plan.

The first 15 years are slow because I am assuming, as a researcher vying for a faculty position, I will have no time and no money. However, I do not know if this assumption is accurate. If anyone started their investing journey while climbing the academia ladder I would love to hear about your experience and how you balanced research and investing.

Would I be better off just saving my money until I earn a tenured position?I would definitely have a higher salary and supposedly have more time but 15 years is a long time to wait before I start making mistakes.

Is it viable to hire a property manager for a single (<$100,000 duplex?) If not what would my options be for the property after my post doc. Does a rental property even make sense if I plan to sell it after only two years?

Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated,

Best,

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

New Bedford, MA · Member since 2017 · 72 posts · 15 votes
6y

Hi Harrison,

Welcome or rei and best of luck with your goals. I 100% agree with Jaron also keep in mind properties in Cambridge start at $700k and that’s without renovation cost. I just priced a 2 family, off street parking for 4 cars, one parking permit, needs work but functional $1.2mil.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Harrison Young $100K duplex in Cambridge Massachusetts??

     It's important to plan for the future but a lot can change in the timeline you described. The market you're looking in may change as well as your living situation. I'd focus on a niche and look for DEALS that match it. Don't waste time discussing PM, renovation costs, and cash-flow unless you're  actively looking at property and making offers. Continue to save for a down payment while in school and keep reading and educating your self along the way. 

    2020 has been an economic roller coaster so embrace it and keep up the good work. 

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thank you Jaron for your reply. By the time I am ready to buy anything I will have moved out of Massachusetts to (hopefully) a less expensive market. It makes sense that there is are diminishing returns to planning so far ahead with so many unknowns and at this stage acquiring general knowledge is more valuable. 

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2017 · 72 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    Hi Harrison,

    Welcome or rei and best of luck with your goals. I 100% agree with Jaron also keep in mind properties in Cambridge start at $700k and that’s without renovation cost. I just priced a 2 family, off street parking for 4 cars, one parking permit, needs work but functional $1.2mil.

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @John Silva Wow! I knew they were pricey. One of my best friends lives in Cambridge and works at Harvard. He told me without roommates, partners, or hitting the lotto he will never be able to buy. He lived in Jamaica Hills before that and couldn't buy in that neighborhood either. I told him to get married and start saving! 

  • Specialist · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 399 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    Welcome aboard @Harrison Young

    Planning is good and necessary but so much (everything) can change in a 7-15-year horizon that I think it would be more beneficial to focus on one step at a time, and re-assess each time. I'm sure if you look at your post in 15 years, you'll realize that nothing happened as you expected (and not for the worse, just differently).

    So learn as much as you can about real estate investing today, save money so you can start investing at some point, meet people and grow your network, and see where it leads you.

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thanks for John your reply. My post was a little unclear, I do not intend to buy a property until I move out of Cambridge in 6 or so years. I do not know what market I will end up moving into but hopefully it will be less expensive. Otherwise I will have to push things back. 

    In 2027 I will be moving to a new market (could be anywhere in the USA) for around 2 years and move again (also could be anywhere) before I establish a permanent residence.

    I understand that I have a lot to learn between now and then but in your opinion would it make more sense to start renting-and-holding once I stop moving around?

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Nick Peters Thank you for your feedback. I agree, the general consensus is this far out plans are fun but not effective. I will focus on learning, saving, and connecting. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.