Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
How to Introduce Yourself to the BiggerPockets Community

Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Posted Jan 30 2013, 14:32

Here are some guidelines to help you with your introduction post here in the BiggerPockets New Member Introductions forum. Please follow the following approach to introducing yourself:

1. Please try and mention where you're from in your post titles.
It helps our members to network with one another.
e.g. Newbie from Lawrence, Kansas

Many of our members have set up keyword alerts to help them find other members in their area. By including your location in your title/post, you'll allow our system to notify your peers of your post so they can jump in and start networking with you.

For a tutorial on our keyword alerts click here

2. In making your introduction, tell us a bit about yourself.
Things that you might want to share include: your real name, your background in real estate, where you're from, what you do, what your goals are in real estate, and how you came to join BiggerPockets.

3. Once you've introduced yourself, please check back with your post.
Our members go out of their way to welcome you to the site, ask you questions, etc. The forum loses steam when new members get a great welcome, but never come back to follow up with the questions/comments posed to them by others.

By default, when you post a new topic, you're automatically subscribed to it, and will get notifications of replies by email. Just jump in when you get those emails and meet your new friends.

4. Reciprocate and welcome other new members to the site.
Not only is this a great way to start networking, but it helps generate "positive mojo
."

5. Please do not use your introduction as a sales pitch!
Any sales pitches need to be in the appropriate areas of the site - our Marketplace. Introductions are a place to share with others who you are.

You should not use your introduction to sell your company or business to us. To find out more about our rules, please see our forum rules

6. Don't just stop engaging after introducing yourself.
Have fun, ask questions, network, and learn!! Those members who are active -- both newbie and experienced -- tend to attract large networks of colleagues, partners, and business opportunities. By staying active and visible here on the forums, you'll gain exposure to the largest community online of real estate investors and aficionados -- good things typically come to those that do.

Good luck!

MODERATOR: PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR OWN INTRO HERE. PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick O'Neill
  • Contractor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jan 12 2015, 13:47

Thanks @Joshua Dorkin for the helpful advice and for suggestions to do as far as followup actions. 

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Tim Davis
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Quincy, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Quincy, IL
Replied Jan 22 2015, 07:42

Thanks Joshua.  I appreciate the tips and incorporated them into my introduction.  I look forward to hearing more from you on this site.

Topic locked
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Justin Wragg
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Replied Feb 10 2015, 15:03

Thank you for posting this!

Topic locked
Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Altoona , PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Altoona , PA
Replied Feb 19 2015, 17:46

I'm new to investing and I would like to own a duplex buy the end of the year. I live in the Altoona , pa. 16601 area. Anyone out there I can chat with in this area would be great . I would greatly appreciate any help with this 

From anyone. Thank you

George

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Dale Robertson
  • Homeowner
  • Springtown, TX
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Springtown, TX
Replied Feb 19 2015, 20:08

I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm a retired military guy who served in both US Marines and US Navy as an enlisted and later retired as Naval Supply Officer.  Recently had new addition to family, wasn't suppose to be able have kids however God knows best. Not sure what is the best or first step, but willing to learn and provide for family and support military population.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
William Allen
  • Investor / Wholesaler
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Investor / Wholesaler
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Feb 20 2015, 03:49

@Account Closed 

Welcome to the site. I recommend reading the first post in this thread and start your own thread in the new member introduction section. You will get the correct response in there and make the moderators happy. 

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Davon Lowery
  • Investor
  • Whitttier, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Whitttier, CA
Replied Mar 3 2015, 00:22

I think these are the most awkward moments; but, if we just let go and have fun with it, all will turn out just fine.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Melvin H.
  • Investor
  • Los Angelos, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angelos, CA
Replied Mar 11 2015, 14:35

Another Great post! I always take valuable lessons from your posts @Joshua Dorkin

Keep up the good work!

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Jul 28 2020, 09:28
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

Great post. I noticed this shortly after posting my introduction this morning..could have done the tell us a bit about yourself more, but I'm here to stay and will be working on that in my profile so not a lost cause. But I definitely like this post because it gives a great template to introduce yourself.

The “I’m here to stay” part of that post somehow was forgotten by this “Account Closed” individual ;)

Maybe that was just wishful thinking ... 

Topic locked