Hello from Nashville, TN

Hello from Nashville, TN

Mount Juliet, TN · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Hey guys,

I'm Charlie and live right outside of Nashville. I absolutely love thrills, excitement and new things like unusual food and travelling.

I'm going to be a first time father in August! My brother-in-law is too (we married twins). We're both brand new at real estate, but this is what we want to do. I like risks, learning, innovating. (And I hope to get back to Costa Rica soon).

So I just want to be involved in the BP and RE community. I'm looking to learn, help others, and be helped. I believe in the "Givers gain philosphy" or as Zig says “You can have everything in life that you want if you just give enough other people what they want.”

I do have a question. When I learned how to play poker, I read Doyle Brunson's book - which is like the texas-holdem bible. When i used to play video games, I would find the cornerstone strategy book. And ESPN just had an article about Bill Walsh's "Finding the Winning Edge" - which a lot of football coaches consider THE football anthology/bible.

Question: Is there a book or person that is the authority on RE investing? Or just a must-read book?

Thanks guys,
I hope I can be an asset to you all.

Charlie

0Reply
17 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Commercial Landlord · Oshkosh, WI · Member since 2013 · 299 posts · 88 votes
    13y

    Welcome to BP Charles. Good to have you here I am about 2 hours north of you on the Ohio river.

  • Mount Juliet, TN · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Thanks for the welcome William.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets Charlie Madison!

    As for the authoritative person or book - that would be me!

    Just kidding :)

    In this industry - you are going to find a hundred guys claiming to be the best, the guru, the pro. The thing is - a lot of them are and a lot are just scammers.

    BiggerPockets is designed to bypass that and connect real investors with other real investors. We all learn and grow together.

    That's not to say there isn't good advice out there. I'm a book-o-holic and when I started I read more than a hundred books on real estate and I still read at least one new one each month.

    I'd say "Rich Dad Poor Dad" is generally universally agreed to be one of the most foundational - though it's heavy on motivation and extremely light on real world advice.

    Do you know what area of investing you want to get into? I'd focus on finding one niche that you absolutely love -then find well-received books in that niche. You can do a search (top right of this screen) for different topics, such as books, as well.

    Finally - check out the BiggerPockets Top Twenty Real Estate Books on Amazon.

    Welcome!

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2009 · 483 posts · 228 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Charlie Madison:

    Question: Is there a book or person that is the authority on RE investing? Or just a must-read book?

    Thanks guys,
    I hope I can be an asset to you all.

    Charlie

    Welcome to BP Charlie, what Ave of Real Estate are you looking to get into?

    I would recommend "My Life & 1000 Houses" and "Rich dad Poor Dad" for starters. Sadly in RE there is no 1 book that has all the answers.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Welcome to the premier real estate investing community, Charlie. There are so many ways to profit in real estate that there is no single book that can adequately cover it all. The entire body of content here at BP comes as close as any other source for completeness. 4 years ago I determined to read 10 REI books in 4 months. Along the way, I discovered BiggerPockets and changed course. It was the right adjustment for me.

  • Mount Juliet, TN · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Thanks for the welcome guys. And you ask a good question - what niche do I want to focus on. I don't even know all the possibilities yet.

    If you were getting started again, what niche would you focus on? What would you do for your first 90 days?

    My uneducated goal right now: My partner and I have a plan of 1 residential wholesale every 2 months, and 1 residential rehab every 6 months - for this year.

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2009 · 483 posts · 228 votes
    13y

    if you are looking for some great rehab and rental properties check out my site and subscribe.

    If I were to do this business over I would have jumped right into wholesaling and rehabs. No one ever told me you could do rehabs on a subject to or even do "light rehabs" that don't require much money or work. Also I would have started my LLC so I could have built up my line of credit by now.

    I had a partner but me and him split ways. It's hard to work with someone when you both have different speeds and different business ethics.

  • Electrical Contractor · Smyrna, TN · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    Welcome to BP Charlie! I just joined this site myself about a week ago. There is a ton of good reading on this forum, I have found it to be much better than any book I have read. Good luck and hopefully we will cross paths sometime soon!

  • Mount Juliet, TN · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    @Wayne - thanks so much. That is really good information. "Going to look more int 'subject to' and 'light rehabs'.

    @Jeffrey, thanks. I plan on visiting the REIN and meetup groups over the next few months. So we might meet at one of those. If you're going to go to one, let me know on here, and I'll be looking for you.

  • Real Estate Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2008 · 443 posts · 91 votes
    13y

    Charlie,

    One book that really changed my life and the way I look at my business is the E -myth. Its not real estate related but it really opened my eyes up to how to run and approach my real estate investing business.

    Its a quick read and will help you focus on the right things in your business when your first starting out which is really important.

    I wish someone had pointed this book out me when I first started.

  • Mount Juliet, TN · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Thanks Brian for the reply (sorry for my late-thanks). I agree emyth is an amazing book.

    In RE, what do you think the 2-3 most important things are starting out (current goal: wholesale 6, rehab 2 in the first 12 months)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.