Newbie investor in Atlanta, Georgia

Newbie investor in Atlanta, Georgia

New to Real Estate · Nairobi, Kenya · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes

Hi BP members,

My name is Carolyn Footitt. I'm brand new to BP and FI. My husband and I are expats living in Kenya. I'm originally from the US (and my husband is British). We stumbled across FI a few months ago, and we've just been binge-listening to the podcasts and reading through the guides and forums on BP ever since. We're looking to get into real estate investing in the US and the UK as a pathway to FI.

Mindy and Scott's episode on how to buy your first home was hands-down the most helpful resource we've found on how to get started. I've since gotten pre-approved for my very first mortgage, and now have enough money for a down payment (or hopefully two). I'm looking at Atlanta specifically, because I have family there, I went to school there, and we fly into Atlanta when we visit the US. Plus it sounds like there are great investment opportunities there!

We're looking forward to making our first deal and learning from the collective knowledge of everyone here!

Cheers!

P.S. if there's any other expat out there who wants to invest in real estate in the US but is running into major problems trying to get pre-approved because you don't have a W-2 and lenders don't know how to read expat tax returns, message me! I've now gone through the entire process and know how to make it slightly less painful.

1Reply
23 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 139 posts · 90 votes
    6y

    @Carolyn Footitt - what an awesome journey! And how exciting knowing that it's just beginning. What areas of Atlanta were you interested in? I have some suggestions based on the preferred asset class and price point...

  • Hartland, MI · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets Carolyn! Best of luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2018 · 70 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    @Chad Carrodus what are some good zip codes in Atlanta for flipping. I’m moving there next month and plan to drive the areas below if you have any guidance on where to focus first. Online 30318 looks to be booming but not wanting to get into any heavy to the studs projects until I learn the market better any advice would help. 30040,30041,30318,30022,30004,30519,30518,30096,30043,30127,30066,30062,30032

  • Kingsland, TX · Member since 2018 · 164 posts · 86 votes
    6y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets!

  • Brenden MitchumBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
    6y

    Hey @Carolyn Footitt, welcome to the BP community!

    I, too, sort of stumbled into REI through podcasts about FI. Please let me know if you have any questions about the Atlanta area or could use some boots on the ground here!

  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 139 posts · 90 votes
    6y

    @Justin Miles - congrats on the move! Atlanta develops in a sprawling pattern, expanding even further and further outside of the Perimeter. With that being said, what are your goals and objectives? Based on that, I can recommend accordingly. Shoot me a message if you'd like to hop on a call.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.