New investor in Northeast WI - Closing on first duplex next week

New investor in Northeast WI - Closing on first duplex next week

Rental Property Investor · Fond du Lac, WI · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Hi All,

I am from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin/Fox Cities area and am newer to BP. I got into RE investing this past summer and haven't looked back (daily podcast binges and all). 

I close on my first duplex property next week and am already hunting for the next deal. I am a buy and hold investor and intend to do all of the landlording until I scale and meet/exceed my income goals.

I am interested in hearing your deal-finding strategies and always open to suggestions. Currently, I'm employing direct-mail/driving for dollars and have started building some relationships with agents and other local investors.

Books I've read so far: ABC's of Real Estate Investing, HOLD, 4-Hour Workweek, Finding and Funding Great Deals. Feel free to recommend some!

I am open to and looking forward to connecting with other investors, lenders, contractors, agents, etc.

Let's make 2020 a great year!

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Neenah, WI · Member since 2019 · 154 posts · 105 votes
6y

Hi @Matt Wise

Welcome to BP.  I am in Neenah and always looking to chat or meetup with other local investors. 

I would also recommend attending some of the local meetups like WiscoREIA in Appleton or Green Bay.

Scott Rogers

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Neenah, WI · Member since 2019 · 154 posts · 105 votes
    6y

    Hi @Matt Wise

    Welcome to BP.  I am in Neenah and always looking to chat or meetup with other local investors. 

    I would also recommend attending some of the local meetups like WiscoREIA in Appleton or Green Bay.

    Scott Rogers

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Appleton, WI · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    Like Scott said, Wiscoreia.com  has been a huge help for many investors.  You should check them out. 

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Hi Matt,

    Welcome to BP! I’ve been investing for a few years and have been very fortunate to get great advice and learn from others here on BP! I have used the same tactics for finding deals that you mentioned. I’ve also called or emailed for rent ads on craigslist. I’m upfront with a short message that I’m looking to buy if they’re interested in selling and have started working with a few investors looking to start selling. I’ve also gotten lists from the assessor here in Appleton and have done mailings that way as well.

    I hope Rich Dad Poor Dad is on your reading list as well! Good luck to you and feel free to reach out if I can help in any way! I currently own 8 duplexes, would like to get to 12 but if it wasn’t for all the great help and advice from BiggerPockets members, I’d still be at only 1 duplex!

    Take care,

    Kathy

  • Jeff CichockiBusiness Member
    Lender · All 50 States · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 250 votes
    6y

    Hey Matt,

    Congrats on the duplex. As Scott & Jason have already mentioned, your local REIA's are great place to meet and network with other investors on the same journey as you. You'll find others who are newer to game and those that are quite seasoned there. Real estate investing is a lot easier when we all work together and push deals back and forth at each other.

    Hope to see you at one of the upcoming meetings.

    Best REI Funding4.36 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Oconomowoc, WI · Member since 2016 · 996 posts · 431 votes
    6y

    Hi Matt,

    Congratulations on making the awesome leap and buying your first property! I second everyone's mention of the local REIA up there for networking. Since you are a buy and hold investor, I also recommend checking out the Fox Valley Apt Association. They have great education at their local meetings and awesome membership for networking. Someone always seems to know something for sale or someone who can get you what you need at the moment.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fond du Lac, WI · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    All, thank you so much for the warm welcome and helpful suggestions! I look forward to networking at the local REIA meetings (Appleton) and taking it to the next level. My goal is another 2 multi-family properties in 2020 and continuing to scale from there. Again, thanks for your time and responses!

    Matt

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.