Newbie Here to Learn How To Help Parents With Rental Properties

Newbie Here to Learn How To Help Parents With Rental Properties

Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hello Everyone,

I am here to learn as much as I can about rental properties -- more so about property taxes, land value, zoning, redlining and more. As well as more on Whole Sale properties and flipping homes.

My parents have owned multiple single family homes in Michigan all my life.  In 02, my father passed and my mother who never handled the business side/management side  - took over and since then we have had some losses and issues.

I have lived out of state since undergrad - but recently moved back home to help my mother and before I head back to school for my Doctorate. 

I have so many questions about home values, property taxes, state equalized value, zoning and assessing to purchase properties.

The homes were all purchased cash - and my father was a jack of all trades --  and had a small business an electrian and contractor - in addition to working and retiring from GM as a Master Electrian. 

The homes are all in low-income areas - but very close to the city area in our town.  Some are "Section-8" -- and a few are not.

It seems like the homes have not increased in value even though they have all had updates and well-kept.  Some sites say they were worth at one point 80K+ - then a few years later they were 25K - even though they had improvements.

I plan on getting an appraisal done for each and updating the Parcel info with the assessor - since they are all incorrect.

I also want to purchase a few wholesale homes in next year - but I am not sure if the area they are in - even though close to the downtown area are worth it - since they seem to be in historically red-lined areas.  I would love to learn about taking equity out of rental properties and the best practices for doing so.

Whew! That's a lot -- but I just wanted to get it out there -- so I can make sure I can find the resources and advice I need.

Thanks in advance!

1Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Greater Lansing Area, MI · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 55 votes
6y

Hi @Deanna J., where in Michigan are you focusing? Prior to paying for appraisals, you could also work with a real estate agent who may be willing to provide area comps, to at least let you know if you're going to be in the ballpark of where you think the values should be.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Forney, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 399 votes
    6y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets! Truly nice to meet you. Good luck going forward! 😁Hope the best for your mother and you on the properties.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Plymouth, MI · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 37 votes
    6y

    Welcome to BP! Good luck with your ventures into this industry!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Deanna J.:

    Hello Everyone,

    I am here to learn as much as I can about rental properties -- more so about property taxes, land value, zoning, redlining and more. As well as more on Whole Sale properties and flipping homes.

    My parents have owned multiple single family homes in Michigan all my life.  In 02, my father passed and my mother who never handled the business side/management side  - took over and since then we have had some losses and issues.

    I have lived out of state since undergrad - but recently moved back home to help my mother and before I head back to school for my Doctorate. 

    I have so many questions about home values, property taxes, state equalized value, zoning and assessing to purchase properties.

    The homes were all purchased cash - and my father was a jack of all trades --  and had a small business an electrian and contractor - in addition to working and retiring from GM as a Master Electrian. 

    The homes are all in low-income areas - but very close to the city area in our town.  Some are "Section-8" -- and a few are not.

    It seems like the homes have not increased in value even though they have all had updates and well-kept.  Some sites say they were worth at one point 80K+ - then a few years later they were 25K - even though they had improvements.

    I plan on getting an appraisal done for each and updating the Parcel info with the assessor - since they are all incorrect.

    I also want to purchase a few wholesale homes in next year - but I am not sure if the area they are in - even though close to the downtown area are worth it - since they seem to be in historically red-lined areas.  I would love to learn about taking equity out of rental properties and the best practices for doing so.

    Whew! That's a lot -- but I just wanted to get it out there -- so I can make sure I can find the resources and advice I need.

    Thanks in advance!

     Welcome abaord Deanna.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greater Lansing Area, MI · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 55 votes
    6y

    Hi @Deanna J., where in Michigan are you focusing? Prior to paying for appraisals, you could also work with a real estate agent who may be willing to provide area comps, to at least let you know if you're going to be in the ballpark of where you think the values should be.

  • Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    6y
    Originally posted by @Emily B.:

    Hi @Deanna J., where in Michigan are you focusing? Prior to paying for appraisals, you could also work with a real estate agent who may be willing to provide area comps, to at least let you know if you're going to be in the ballpark of where you think the values should be.

    HI Emily,

    Thanks for responding! I really appreciate it.  Saginaw, Flint, Bay City, Midland area.  I am open.  Our properties are in Saginaw and Flint - but I would be open to other areas as well.

    And thanks for the tip! I will start researching and asking around for realtor suggestions - I can reach out to.

  • Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    And thanks to everyone for the very warm and helpful welcome!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.