Newbie Investor in Los Angeles Area

Newbie Investor in Los Angeles Area

Rental Property Investor · Burbank, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes

Hi All!

My boyfriend and I have just started the journey of getting into Real Estate Investing! 

A little bit about us; my corporate job shut down their US office this summer so I found myself without a job and a search for purpose/passion in my life. I am now studying for my Real Estate License, listening to several investing podcasts, & currently reading "The Book on Rental Property Investing". My boyfriend works in the film industry building sets & props and used to help build houses before that. 

Our goal is to first find a duplex in the LA area to renovate and house hack. After that we would either like to invest in bigger rental properties (in state or out of state) or get into house flipping. Probably both down the line, but we haven't quite decided what the second step will be yet. 

I am looking forward to making connections and learning a lot from this community! 

Best,

Kate

1Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
6y

@Kate Bogart welcome to BP. Don't worry about the second step. Just do your best to successfully complete your first step. You will learn so much on your first deal it will help you decide a path for the future. 

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nate ShieldsPro Member
    Lender · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 148 votes
    6y

    Hi Kate! Welcome to BP. It's a great place to learn, network, and grow. If I can help in any way, just let me know.

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 189 votes
    6y

    Welcome @Kate Bogart! I love house hacking. I started w/ a 2br condo when I was in college and so many of my other real estate friends started that way as well.

    Please let me know what I can be a resource for. I do like Burbank and North/East Hollywood quite a bit for the long run as the streaming war heats up with Netflix and Disney taking up more offices creating more jobs that will help lift the residential market as well.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Kate Bogart welcome to BP. Don't worry about the second step. Just do your best to successfully complete your first step. You will learn so much on your first deal it will help you decide a path for the future. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Burbank, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Nate Shields thanks so much, I appreciate it!

  • Rental Property Investor · Burbank, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Jason Hsiao thanks Jason! Very good point about Disney & Netflix! I kind of ruled my area out right off the bat bc of price but maybe I’ll give it a look!

  • Rental Property Investor · Burbank, CA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Ned Carey thanks Ned, I really appreciate your advice. I was worried about not having that 10 yr plan all figured out but I think you’re right! After the first try I’ll get a better idea of how we want to move forward.

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 189 votes
    6y

    Have you looked into or consider FHA loans @Kate Bogart? If you are house hacking that could be a good way to put down only 3.5% instead of the traditional 20

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Kate Bogart I am reminded of the boxer Mike Tyson's quote "everybody has a plan until the get punched in the face." You may get hit in the face a few times on your first deal. But those will be learning lessons, that will help you on future deals. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Jason Hsiao hey Jason do you do fix and flips in the LA area?

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 189 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Trevor Phillips:

    @Jason Hsiao hey Jason do you do fix and flips in the LA area?

    Not typically but happy to take a look.

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 576 posts · 307 votes
    6y

    Hey Kate, have you considered doing anything out of state? After you do your first duplex house hack you should consider San Antonio, Texas. Great market for California investors and you'll be able to get quite a few properties under your belt with how inexpensive they are.

  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Hey @Kate Bogart, welcome to BiggerPockets community!

    Your first post was 6 months ago.  How are you now? Hope you are safe and had your license!  Anyway, great to have you here in BiggerPockets site and you are in the right place to connect with other Real Estate investors.  Just keep connecting and build your profile/network and never stop learning.  Sharing with you some of my recommendations too:

            1. Subscribe to the BiggerPockets Money and Rookie Podcasts

            2. Attend the FREE WEBINARS

            3. Attend a Meetup in Your Area

            4. Purchase the Beginner Books: How to Invest in Real Estate, Set for Life, The House Hacking Strategy

            5. Peruse the forums! Ask questions! Answer Questions!

    Good luck in your REI journey. Please stay safe and healthy for now. See you around the forums!

    Best regards,

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.