My fiancé and I are looking to get started in real estate investing through buying a duplex and renting it out. Looking for ideas for how to fund the buying of our first duplex! We are looking in the Columbus, Ohio area. We would love any advice in getting the process started!
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y
@Danielle Reymann Congratulations! Columbus is a great place to invest. My first purchase was a duplex just north of The Ohio State University. Now I own 14 units in the Columbus area. I am happy to help you get started.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y
@Danielle Reymann Congratulations! Columbus is a great place to invest. My first purchase was a duplex just north of The Ohio State University. Now I own 14 units in the Columbus area. I am happy to help you get started.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 664 votes
6y
@Danielle Reymann Awesome you and your husband are interested in RE!
When I first started I knew that I didn't want to pay for rent or a mortgage. I bought a SFH and rented out the bedrooms, or house-hacked. I think that's a good starting place for any new investor.
You could do this buy getting a multifamily property, which is nice because you can still get residential loans on up to 4 units.
Or you can get creative. I'm working with one investor now that is turning a SFH into a 2 unit Airbnb and from the pro forma it looks like he'll easily live for free and then see very handsome returns.
Best of luck and if you need anything would love to be of assistance to you.
@Harvey Yergin IV thanks for getting back to us. I grew up in Columbus and know the area pretty well. We just bought our first single family home Merrion Village and are saving to buy our second property which we plan to be a duplex. We would love any advice about locating funds and analyzing properties. Thanks again!
@Austin Steed thanks for getting back to us. We just bought our first single family home Merrion Village and are planning to rent a room out in Airbnb to get started. We are saving to buy our second property which we plan to be a duplex. Let us know if you have any recommendations or advice that can help us get jump started. Thanks again!
Yes, we have thought about a private money lender but don’t really now how to go about that process to find that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 218 posts · 134 votes
6y
@Danielle Reymann Welcome to BP! If you have questions about private money, I can't recommend enough "Raising private capital" by Matt Faircloth. I would also suggest reaching out to some hard money lenders to get an idea of their terms and requirements. If are interested in any specific referrals, message me and I would be happy to share the contacts I have!
Lender · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 148 votes
6y
@Danielle Reymann Friends and family are a good place to start (unless you don't want to partner with them for specific reasons). Local real estate meet ups are a fantastic way to network quickly. Many times there are private lenders at those meet ups.