Hello! Newbie from SoCal!

Hello! Newbie from SoCal!

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hello everyone!

My name is Eric, and I am slowly starting my education on real estate investing, starting with Brandon's book about rental properties. I've been listening to the podcasts non-stop at work and trying to find other materials to accelerate the process. I have much to learn, but just from what I've heard on the podcasts and read in books so far, house hacking sounds like my starting point. I currently still live at home so it would be a perfect transition into the real estate world, in my opinion, and would give me a chance to learn how to landlord. I am saving as much money as possible, but a FHA loan sounds right up my alley. Actually, Brandon laid out a 7 year example plan (1,000,000$)in his book for rental properties which clicked right off the bat and really kind of solidified how I would want to get started. I know for a fact I don't really want to mess with flips, or massive complexes. Anywhooooo, I guess I have just a couple questions.

1. What are some good reading/listening materials for the FINANCE side specifically, of all this? (I know rich dad poor dad has been mentioned quite a bit, just looking for a solid selection)

2. My first property goal would be either a duplex, or a triplex, based on your experience how much capital/reserves should I save before considering a purchase? 

Thank you for you time and I look forward to connecting with everyone!

1Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Eric Kotzman

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    This is a great place to learn and network. A lot of forum members are very knowledgeable in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate sales, wholesaling, flipping, rentals, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

    Discounts on some products and services are offered to BP members: https://www.biggerpockets.com/perks/pro

    If you haven’t been to it already, you might want to check out the BP blog: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/

    The site has quite a few tools that can be helpful for new members. I like the search features: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search

    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Eric Kotzman:

    Hello everyone!

    My name is Eric, and I am slowly starting my education on real estate investing, starting with Brandon's book about rental properties. I've been listening to the podcasts non-stop at work and trying to find other materials to accelerate the process. I have much to learn, but just from what I've heard on the podcasts and read in books so far, house hacking sounds like my starting point. I currently still live at home so it would be a perfect transition into the real estate world, in my opinion, and would give me a chance to learn how to landlord. I am saving as much money as possible, but a FHA loan sounds right up my alley. Actually, Brandon laid out a 7 year example plan (1,000,000$)in his book for rental properties which clicked right off the bat and really kind of solidified how I would want to get started. I know for a fact I don't really want to mess with flips, or massive complexes. Anywhooooo, I guess I have just a couple questions.

    1. What are some good reading/listening materials for the FINANCE side specifically, of all this? (I know rich dad poor dad has been mentioned quite a bit, just looking for a solid selection)

    2. My first property goal would be either a duplex, or a triplex, based on your experience how much capital/reserves should I save before considering a purchase? 

    Thank you for you time and I look forward to connecting with everyone!

     Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.