Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
Hey everyone, my name is Matthew Mehaffey i'm in the Atlanta area and I am a newbie to the real estate game. I have been thinking about investing in real estate (rental properties to be exact) for a while now and i'm curious where is a good place to start?
Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 5 votes
7y
Hey Matthew! Welcome to the wonderful world of Wonka...I mean, Real Estate Investing! You are in the best spot here at BP! Listen to the podcasts (the one they posted this week with the lady who has 35 units and started off on a $20k/yr living wage with two kids is amazing!) You might also google local real estate meetup groups in ATL; surround yourself with other like minded folks. Are you currently a home owner? I got my start by using my FHA loan (3.5% down payment) to buy myself a condo after college. I rented out a room and even Airbnb'd my room in order to pay off student loans and save money for another property. There are many ways to start your journey...the question is what are your specific goals?
Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 5 votes
7y
Hey Matthew! Welcome to the wonderful world of Wonka...I mean, Real Estate Investing! You are in the best spot here at BP! Listen to the podcasts (the one they posted this week with the lady who has 35 units and started off on a $20k/yr living wage with two kids is amazing!) You might also google local real estate meetup groups in ATL; surround yourself with other like minded folks. Are you currently a home owner? I got my start by using my FHA loan (3.5% down payment) to buy myself a condo after college. I rented out a room and even Airbnb'd my room in order to pay off student loans and save money for another property. There are many ways to start your journey...the question is what are your specific goals?
Welcome! A few things I would recommend as starting out would be
Read/Listen to an audio book or two
If you're here I'm assuming you've listened to a few podcasts? If so, continue to do so. And if not, listen to the bigger pockets podcast
Start getting very familiar with Zillow, Trulia, LoopNet, Realtor etc. all those real estate websites and become familiar with looking at homes, the terminology, pricing areas in ATL out, and learning what stuff looks like.
Feel free to reach out to me with any other questions you may have related to anything!
Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
7y
@Patrick Perez Thank you for this great information. I will definitely listen to that one. I am currently renting an apartment right now so when I buy I'll be a first time home buyer. I will also look for good real estate meet up groups. Thanks again.
Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
7y
@Evan Parker Thank you for this great information. I'm pretty familiar with those websites except for LoopNet I just recently started on that one. Since you are in the Atlanta area do you have any recommendations a good realtor?
@Evan Parker Thank you for this great information. I'm pretty familiar with those websites except for LoopNet I just recently started on that one. Since you are in the Atlanta area do you have any recommendations a good realtor?
Yes I recommend @Mitch Messer, very knowledgeable and he has a mailing list that he sends out often with great properties on it. And where he may not be able to help directly, he may know someone he can put you in contact with.