Hi from NOVA/DMV, but looking to invest in South Carolina

Hi from NOVA/DMV, but looking to invest in South Carolina

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Selena Mc. here! Recently separated Air Force veteran living in the DMV area, but looking to purchase properties in SC, specifically in the Columbia and Sumter areas. My husband and I grew up at Shaw AFB so we are familiar with the area. We purchased our primary residence in Oct 2016 and that's the extent of my real estate endeavors.

This year I decided that I wanted to purchase my 1st investment property by the time I turn 40 (in 6 years). Then after a couple of weeks, I decided that I wanted to purchase my 1st investment property within 1 year...NOW I'm currently applying for a HELOC so I can purchase my 1st property in the next couple of months!

My overall goal with real estate investing is financial freedom. I want to retire in my early 50s (if not sooner) and travel the world. I think I can obtain that through buy and hold multi-family properties.

I don't remember exactly how I came across BiggerPockets, but this is my 1st forum post, I'm listening to the BP podcasts, watching BP webinars, and I'm reading The Book on Rental Property Investing.

While I'm waiting on the HELOC approval, I'm not sure if I should be making contact with local realtors, property managers, etc. in SC so that I have a team in place once I have funds in hand. Another obstacle I have is my spouse. He isn't 100% on board, but he is s..l..o..w..l..y..coming along.

Looking forward to FINALLY jumping in and ultimately changing my future.

1Reply
17 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • BiggerPockets Support · Manila, Philippines · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Selena McLean-Hudson

    Welcome to the BiggerPockets community!
    Glad to have you with us.

    BiggerPockets
  • Andrew R. LucasBusiness Member
    Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2016 · 675 posts · 320 votes
    7y

    @Selena McLean-Hudson thank you and your family for your Service!  I'll say that Columbia/Sumter are excellent areas to settle down after service.  Our communities are made up of a lot of service members.  

    Welcome to BP land!  You will find tons of great contacts in these forums.  Keep asking questions are reading previous posts and you'll learn a lot. 

    I'd say get that approval and then you'll know what you are looking for.  Its hard to build a "team" when your not sure of your capabilities yet. 

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    Welcome to the forum. Are you and your husband active or prior military?

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Matthew Chalfant Thx! We are both prior service. Me- Air Force & him - Air Guard.

  • Investor · Parker, CO · Member since 2016 · 550 posts · 389 votes
    7y

    @Selena McLean-Hudson Love it! Congrats on taking bold action. Just show your husband the numbers and I bet you he'll come around! Haha. There are quite a few of us in the military that are investing in real estate, so feel to reach out. Let me know if I can be of any help. Cheers!! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.