New Investor/RE Broker in Portland, OR

New Investor/RE Broker in Portland, OR

Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 22 votes

Hi All, I'd like to introduce myself as a new BP member, investor and licensed Oregon broker living in Portland. I've been listening to the podcasts for about a year and half, and have taken the time to educate myself with many of the suggested books that come up in the podcast. Never before have I taken an instant understanding of a business and the numbers involved like I have with Real Estate investing. I've been an entrepreneur for years, and have a successful event production business specializing in audiovisual technology and logistics. Using my business and entrepreneurial experience, I plan to use my license to broker my own deals, as well as other investors and even retail clients in and around the Portland metro. I also plan to buy long term rentals in Indianapolis - a city I am very familiar with, having lived there for 15 years. Looking forward to being an active contributor to the forums now. Also, for anyone in Portland, I'll be at the Bigger Pockets happy hour tomorrow (Thursday 11/29 4:30P-6:30P) hosted by RareBird Real Estate. Come and say hi. 

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 15 votes
7y

Hey @Jarrin Benson! Congrats on getting licensed in Oregon. Happy to touch base as you fine tune your goals for Indy!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Jarrin Benson Welcome to BP and congratulations on diving in. I think you're smart to be looking at Indianapolis. I've been active there since 2010 and it has been great. Like with any market though, it has good areas and bad areas. A lot of new investors, especially out of state,  have been burned by buying in rough, low end neighborhoods because of the cheap homes. Be sure you are buying a good class of property in stable neighborhoods and you can do very well. Feel free to reach out if you want some insight.

  • Lender · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 496 posts · 296 votes
    7y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets @Jarrin Benson! Would love to talk to you about Indianapolis. We are buying in Pittsburgh right now, Indianapolis is our next location to build a team.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    Hey @Jarrin Benson! Congrats on getting licensed in Oregon. Happy to touch base as you fine tune your goals for Indy!

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 22 votes
    7y
    @Jesse Rivera hi Jesse, I’m planning to come to your meetup next week and will introduce myself. I feel like I have a pretty good insight on what’s going on in Indy right now.
  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Hello! @Jarrin Benson

    Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

    I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

    First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

    The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

    The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent.

    There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

    I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2013 · 412 posts · 219 votes
    7y

    Hey Jarrin, 

    Welcome to BP! What a cool entry to real estate...my family has a couple of budding sound engineers who are learning their craft so it’s good to hear there are opportunities out there in the industry. Your business background will be incredibly helpful to you. Lots of agents treat real estate like a hobby instead of a business and have no idea about budgets, P&Ls, cash-flow, or even that they have to pay taxes on their commissions! By having a solid business base-I’m sure you’ll do great for yourself and your clients. 

    I’ll see you around the meetups and the forum!

    Mathew

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Jarrin Benson

    Welcome to BP.

  • Realtor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 357 posts · 259 votes
    7y

    @Jarrin Benson welcome! I'll be at the RareBird event this evening so maybe we'll run into one another there!

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 22 votes
    7y
    Mathew, I started out as an audio engineer myself. Let me know if I can help your people navigate the local production market. All of my work is national and international, but I do know some great Portland companies to work with. 


    Originally posted by @Mathew Wray:

    Hey Jarrin, 

    Welcome to BP! What a cool entry to real estate...my family has a couple of budding sound engineers who are learning their craft so it’s good to hear there are opportunities out there in the industry. Your business background will be incredibly helpful to you. Lots of agents treat real estate like a hobby instead of a business and have no idea about budgets, P&Ls, cash-flow, or even that they have to pay taxes on their commissions! By having a solid business base-I’m sure you’ll do great for yourself and your clients. 

    I’ll see you around the meetups and the forum!

    Mathew

  • Lender · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2013 · 496 posts · 296 votes
    7y

    @Jarrin Benson, I look forward to meeting you!

  • Max FeinbergPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2017 · 150 posts · 70 votes
    7y
    @Jarrin Benson Welcome to BP!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.