Newbie in Lancaster, CA

Newbie in Lancaster, CA

Lancaster, CA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hello, my name is Nick Knight and I am moving out of my house and am looking to rent my single family home out and begin my landlording career. There is a lot to consider and my basic math on the income/expenses seems to show that I wont have an income from the property and all of my gain will be in equity. But I am a bit worried about the possibility of the housing market tanking in the next few years and than taking even more years to recover. I'm not currently interested in making any direct income as of yet and any profits would be saved for future real estate endeavors and cushion for repairs/maintenance. I am interested in managing the property myself but that leads to its own hassle, but oddly the reason I want to go into landlording. The most difficult task I foresee for myself is just finding a tenant, screening, showings, and placing the tenant in the home as I'll be living about 1.5 hours away (2+ hours pending the Los Angeles traffic) and work a full time job. I will be taking on this endeavor completely solo as well.

Knowing all this and based on an estimate of what I would make if I sold now makes it even more difficult as to what path to take. Sell now and save for a better property and lose out on any possible equity gain but avoid a possible housing market tanking or rent in the hopes of making a lil something and some equity at the risk of losing equity but not much else. The home after all would be getting paid for by the rent at least.

I am interested in feedback and I have a lot of questions, several that I cant seem to find an answer for in books or internet. Would be great too, to hear from people in the Antelope Valley area that could give me insight on the market.

Thank you all for reading and for any comments, suggestions and greetings.

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Marlon FongPro Member
BiggerPockets Support · Bridge City, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 367 votes
7y

Hey Nick.  Welcome and Good Luck! BP is a great place to learn and get assistance.

BiggerPockets
See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Marlon FongPro Member
    BiggerPockets Support · Bridge City, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 367 votes
    7y

    Hey Nick.  Welcome and Good Luck! BP is a great place to learn and get assistance.

    BiggerPockets
  • Realtor · Palmdale, CA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Hi Nick,

    As a local myself, I’d be more than happy to give you some free insight. Not only have I been a resident of the Antelope Valley for 26 years, but I’ve also been selling homes in the area for the last 17+ years.

    Although you can expect some dips along the path, over the course of the long term, real estate has always (historically) gone up. If you plan on holding on to the property for a substantial amount of time, the more immediate valleys may prove to be inconsequential to your long-term strategy.

    On the other hand, if you plan on holding for a relatively short spell, knowing the direction of the market’s more immediate future would be imperative.

    Feel free to give me a call when you have a chance. I won’t try to sell you anything; the information will be free of charge. All that I ask is that you remember me in the future, should you decide to sell or purchase additional property in the area.

    My contact information can be found in my profile. I look forward to speaking with you. Thanks, Nick!

  • Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 685 posts · 334 votes
    7y

    Having given this idea some thought, you have not provided enjoying information for me to make a sound decision.

    For what it’s worth, you may have equity today, but it may be non-existent tomorrow. 

     Although banking on equity is a bad strategy, I would hate to see you have no equity and no cash flow one day. 

    Do your homework here, take some time to understand the different business models that exist and ask all the questions you have along the way.

    #DUXOV

  • Jill DeWitPro Member
    Investor · Scottsdale AZ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 423 votes
    7y

    Hey @Nick Knight and welcome to Bigger Pockets! Bigger Pockets is a great place to network, learn about the real estate investing business, and get deals done correctly. Congrats and I wish you tons of success. 

  • Lancaster, CA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    @Marlon Fong thank you, i look forward to it!
  • Lancaster, CA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    @Anthony Sumbry Thank you, and i totally agree with you, its just that im in the position of sell now for decent return or keep and hope for more. To build more upon my original post, i didnt go into details as it was ny introduction and not sure how far I could go asking my questions. I have taken note and as i requested I have questions to ask for people familiar with my area. Plwase be expecting a call.
  • Lancaster, CA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    @David G you have hit the nail on the head and state exactly my concern. I see your area is close to mine. May i contact you for guidance?
  • Lancaster, CA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    @Jill DeWit thank you, i am looking forward to it!
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Nick Knight

    Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here!

    Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 685 posts · 334 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nick Knight:
    @David G you have hit the nail on the head and state exactly my concern. I see your area is close to mine. May i contact you for guidance?

     Feel free to reach out and we can exchange phone numbers. I’m here to help, free of charge! 

  • Lancaster, CA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    @Dmitriy Fomichenko Thank you you will read through everything you provided, i appreciate it.
  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Hello! @Nick Knight

    Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

    I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

    First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

    The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

    The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent.

    There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

    I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.