Newbie Veteran from Huntsville, AL!

Newbie Veteran from Huntsville, AL!

Rental Property Investor · AL · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes

Hello BP community! My name is Jose Maldonado. I just finished my 4 year enlistment in the U.S. Navy and will be returning to my hometown of Madison, AL. 

I fell in love with REI when I worked for Wells Fargo and met many people in the industry. After 4 years of listening to podcasts and reading as many books as possible, I am ready to jump in. My goal is to use the VA loan to house hack a Multi-Family property in the Huntsville/Madison area. If I could do that for my first deal, I think I'll be on solid ground.

I love helping, teaching, and learning from others. If you have any questions or suggestions, please reach out to me. Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from you guys! 

1Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 37 votes
7y
@Jose Maldonado awesome! I’m thinking about doing the same thing with my VA loan but in Birmingham. Been lookin at both areas for months now and haven’t seen much as far as 2/3/4 units for sale though. Most of what I‘ve seen In HuntsvIlle were 4 plexes around brandontown/oakwood but have read on here thats not a great area so be prepared for a search. Will be interesting to hear others opinions. Good luck and keep us updated!
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 37 votes
    7y
    @Jose Maldonado awesome! I’m thinking about doing the same thing with my VA loan but in Birmingham. Been lookin at both areas for months now and haven’t seen much as far as 2/3/4 units for sale though. Most of what I‘ve seen In HuntsvIlle were 4 plexes around brandontown/oakwood but have read on here thats not a great area so be prepared for a search. Will be interesting to hear others opinions. Good luck and keep us updated!
  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 110 votes
    7y

    Hello @Jose Maldonado,

    Welcome to BP! Thanks for your service to the country.  I am an investor here in the Huntsville area.  Your plan sounds pretty solid.  If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

    -Tim

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Jose Maldonado Thank you for your service! Congratulations on deciding to start investing so early in life! You're definitely on the right path to progress! 

    Best!

  • Professional · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    Thanks for your service Jose.

    You have chosen a great area and house hacking is a win 99 out of 100 times in my book.

    Do keep in mind however that the VA is very particular about property conditions for their appraisals. It may be a tougher negotiation on price as the seller would likely need to make repairs to meet VA appraisal conditions prior to the loan closing.

    Good luck and you are welcomed to message me if I can help in any way.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 231 posts · 191 votes
    7y

    @Jose Maldonado 

    I have a great agent if you're looking for contacts.  My partners and I are focused on multi family in the city, shoot me a PM and we can discuss further.

    Bravo on starting your new adventure, and thank you for your service!

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Jose Maldonado

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.

  • Rental Property Investor · AL · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

    @Trey Crusey thanks for the heads up! I definitely did not know about those areas!

    @Tim White thank you! I’m glad to see there’s successful investors in my area. Gives me motivation and confidence. If I have any questions, I’ll contact you.

    @Jason Grey for sure! I think I will search for mostly move-in ready properties as they are less hassle. Even if I have to pay a little more, at least I will be living in a better property. I hope your investing is going well in the area!

  • Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Hello! @Jose Maldonado

    Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

    I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

    First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

    The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

    The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent.

    There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

    I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jose Maldonado:

    Hello BP community! My name is Jose Maldonado. I just finished my 4 year enlistment in the U.S. Navy and will be returning to my hometown of Madison, AL. 

    I fell in love with REI when I worked for Wells Fargo and met many people in the industry. After 4 years of listening to podcasts and reading as many books as possible, I am ready to jump in. My goal is to use the VA loan to house hack a Multi-Family property in the Huntsville/Madison area. If I could do that for my first deal, I think I'll be on solid ground.

    I love helping, teaching, and learning from others. If you have any questions or suggestions, please reach out to me. Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from you guys! 

     Welcome to the site Jose.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.