Grant, Drone Pilot, Recent Grad, RE Newbie, St. Louis, Missouri

Grant, Drone Pilot, Recent Grad, RE Newbie, St. Louis, Missouri

St. Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 17 votes

Evening,

Hope everyone is having a great labor day weekend, have been using mine to learn about real estate, even tried finding and evaluating a property today. My name is Grant Hosticka recently graduated this spring from Indiana State with a degree in Unmanned Systems and a certificate in GIS and now work as a drone pilot for Ameren in the St. Louis/ St. Charles area.

In my first few months of adulthood have made a successful effort to spend less then I make and start to build my savings through following a monthly budget. I enjoy flipping different items (computers, cameras, shoes, tickets to name a few) and providing drone services as a way to earn some extra income.

I have little to no experience in real estate but after digesting many podcasts (how I heard of bigger pockets) and books post-graduation I definitely think it is something I need to learn about to start building wealth long-term. My goal is financial freedom, and being able to do what I want when I want. Few things I would love to hear from you (if applicable)...

1. Any questions about drones (or video making/editing) I might be able to help you out with.

2. Advice for a recent college grad... what do you wish someone would have told you?

3. If you're in the St. Charles/St. Louis area... Would love to meet up for a cup of coffee or some food!

4. Podcast Recommendations (besides the wonderful BiggerPockets offerings)


0Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Anthony McEvoyPro Member
    Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2018 · 160 posts · 114 votes
    8y

    @Grant H.:  Welcome to bigger pockets!

    1. - I'll send you a private message - I would love to hear more of your story.  I see you have a link to your company in your profile.  I received my FAA license last year and have been dabbling in it myself!

    2. - Read or "Read" [aka listen to audible books], listen to podcasts, and network - which it sounds like you are already doing.

    3. - I assume you mean St. Charles, MO.  I live near St. Charles, IL.  But hey... I make my way to the St. Louis area at times.  I will connect with you if I am in the area.  Likewise if you make your way to the Chicago/East-Central IL area.

    4. - I went back and listened to #AskBP podcasts - there's a 100 of them.  I also listen to general investing podcasts.  As you may have heard, it is recommended not to have all of your 'eggs in one basket'.  "The Investors Podcast" is one that I listen to.  In addition, I listen to Bloomberg podcasts - especially the Business of Sports.  I am interested in sports and business... so its a perfect combination!  Many concepts and topics carry over to other industries including real estate.  Finally, read the Bigger Pockets show notes... when they have a guest on who also has a podcast, they list it in there as well as their blogs.

    Best of luck!

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 17 votes
    8y
    @Anthony McEvoy Ironicaly grew up right next to St Charles IL and now live in St Charles MO. It’s funny the similarities between the Missouri and Illinois versions of St. Charles both have the big river and have development occurring. Appreciate the tips, hadn’t thought of the show notes even though that’s right in front of me.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.