New Member in Wilmington, DE.

New Member in Wilmington, DE.

Rental Property Investor · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 5 votes

Hello everyone, my name is Scott Lewis and I’m excited to be a new member of the BiggerPockets community! I currently live in Wilmington, DE where I work full-time as a research scientist. My wife and I are in the pursuit of financial independence and believe real estate will help us get there. I am fortunate to have an amazing family and they are my biggest inspiration for securing our financial future.

I'm a real estate investor looking to build passive income through a portfolio of buy-and-hold rentals over the next 7 years. I want to add at least one more small multifamily to my portfolio in the next year. I plan to invest in C or B class properties in B class neighborhoods and focus on:

- Primary: Small multifamily within a 12 hour drive of Wilmington, DE.

- Secondary: SFR. Ideally with forced appreciation, so some form of fixer-upper, pre-foreclosure, or REO that I could BRRRR. These would need to be in or near Wilmington, DE.

I'm still relatively new to the game, owning half of one investment property. I thoroughly enjoy reading about real estate investing and analyzing deals. Over the last several months, I've spent many hours reading BiggerPockets forums and blog posts, listened to 40 or so pre-selected podcasts, and attended a couple webinars. My biggest challenge is analysis paralysis (eg. CapEx estimation for holding properties long-term). look forward to meeting others on BiggerPockets, learning more, and helping others as I gain more experience.

Extended Background

I grew up in Kentucky and went to the University of Kentucky (Go Cats!) in Lexington, KY for my B.S. and Ph.D. degrees in chemical engineering.

Being financially independent played a major role in selecting where I went to school, the cars I've bought (I dislike non-performing assets), my housing decisions, and my savings. I began maxing out my tax-advantaged retirement contributions in 2007 while in grad school and have taken advantage of every tax-advantaged retirement account I can since then. In 2008, while still in school, I also did what could be considered a "house hack" when I bought a foreclosed townhouse, financed through a conventional mortgage and a family loan, and rented out 3 of the 4 bedrooms to some friends. I actually just sold the townhouse recently, after some family members were finished living in it. Unfortunately, they trashed the place, which had quite a negative impact on the ROI, but the good times I had there and lessons I learned from it were worth it.

I moved to Delaware in 2011 and rented for a couple years. My wife and I bought a house in Wilmington in 2013. Our realtor discussed some real estate investment opportunities and helped us find a short sale we were able to go in on with a partner in June 2015 to flip and make a small profit. Going into it, I was mainly looking to gain experience and work with a mentor, so my wife and I were delighted to make a profit. We then took the proceeds and went in on a deal our realtor helped us find with another partner on a 9 unit apartment building in downtown Wilmington in 2016. It’s been a learning experience, too, and has been a little bit of a rough start. After purchase, about half of the tenants said they were on the way out, but the property management company did a good job getting more tenants in.

My wife and I have two children, born less than one month ago. We both enjoy our jobs, but we want to have financial independence since some things are outside of our control and we want to be able to spend as much time with our children as possible.

3Reply
97 views

Most Popular Reply

Tax CPA · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 215 posts · 186 votes
8y

@Scott Lewis Welcome to BP! Awesome to get started with a house hack! BP has an abundance of resources to keep you growing:

Some of my favorite resources:

If you haven’t already listened to the podcasts I’d start there.

Podcasts

Episode 108 - Grant Cardone... Just listen…

Episode 283 Paul Thompson - Quite a new episode but I would think everyone would agree this is a top episode. Mainly, the systems implemented are fascinating (VA, automated offers, etc.) Plus...escape velocity...

Episode 113 – Jay Papasan - Very practical slow and steady advice

Episode 221 - Tim Shiner - his concept of equity build up and "shearing the sheep" shows some of the flexibility of real estate vs a 401k

Last but not least, I also recommend all the tax advice given by my fellow CPAs on the BP Podcast.

Amanda Han

Brandon Hall

Tax Reform Update – Brandon Hall and Amanda Han

Linda Weygant

Guides

Ultimate Beginners Guide

Forum Stickies

BP Calculators or spreadsheets uploaded by members

My Favorite Books

I have to say all of the BP books…right? :)

The Millionaire Next Door

The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

What Every Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow

Hope this information can give you a good start. Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets @Scott Lewis. There aren't too many other Wilmington, DE investors on here who are super active. That having been said BP is a great place to learn about real estate in general, but for Wilmington specific things I really suggest you join the DelREIA facebook group.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Thanks, @James Masotti! I'll check it out.

  • None · Member since 2018 · 125 posts · 46 votes
    8y

    Welcome @Scott Lewis! I am also new to the BiggerPockets community from Delaware. Good to see another DE member!

  • Tax CPA · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 215 posts · 186 votes
    8y

    @Scott Lewis Welcome to BP! Awesome to get started with a house hack! BP has an abundance of resources to keep you growing:

    Some of my favorite resources:

    If you haven’t already listened to the podcasts I’d start there.

    Podcasts

    Episode 108 - Grant Cardone... Just listen…

    Episode 283 Paul Thompson - Quite a new episode but I would think everyone would agree this is a top episode. Mainly, the systems implemented are fascinating (VA, automated offers, etc.) Plus...escape velocity...

    Episode 113 – Jay Papasan - Very practical slow and steady advice

    Episode 221 - Tim Shiner - his concept of equity build up and "shearing the sheep" shows some of the flexibility of real estate vs a 401k

    Last but not least, I also recommend all the tax advice given by my fellow CPAs on the BP Podcast.

    Amanda Han

    Brandon Hall

    Tax Reform Update – Brandon Hall and Amanda Han

    Linda Weygant

    Guides

    Ultimate Beginners Guide

    Forum Stickies

    BP Calculators or spreadsheets uploaded by members

    My Favorite Books

    I have to say all of the BP books…right? :)

    The Millionaire Next Door

    The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

    What Every Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow

    Hope this information can give you a good start. Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Welcome Scott!  I'm a new(ish) member here from Wilmington as well. There might not be many Wilmington investors on BP, but @James Masotti is very knowledable and always very helpful on the forums.

  • Multifamily investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 281 posts · 521 votes
    8y

    Welcome @Scott Lewis! Analysis paralysis can be tough. I'd try and team up with a more experience investor, or use a mentor to guide you. Generally speaking, I am working with a property management company with over 40 years of experience and they help me putting a budget/CapEx for every deal, so finding one can greatly increase your confidence that you are doing the right thing.

  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matt Dixon:

    Welcome Scott!  I'm a new(ish) member here from Wilmington as well. There might not be many Wilmington investors on BP, but @James Masotti is very knowledable and always very helpful on the forums.

     I think very knowledgeable is being to generous with my knowledge of Wilmington...opinionated might be a better term to more accurately describe it :-)

  • Rental Property Investor · New Castle, DE · Member since 2016 · 376 posts · 158 votes
    8y

    @Scott Lewis ... Welcome to BP and congrats on the twins :) I've been on the site for a couple of years. Trying to get past the analysis paralysis and let my brain soak in as much information that it can. Well wishes to all of us DE REI!!!

  • Investor · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2015 · 130 posts · 84 votes
    8y

    @Scott Lewis

    Welcome!  I am located in the suburbs of Wilmington.  I have wholesaled and flipped properties in the past.  My wife and I purchased our first rental at the beginning of this year.  If you have any questions please feel free to reach out!

  • Wilmington, DE · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Welcome to the group @Scott Lewis! I am a local investor in Wilmington, DE as well and have loved every minute of investing in real estate thus far. My ultimate goal is to invest into multifamily unit buildings to create long term, passive income to be able to truly become financially independent. Let's connect, I'd love to catch up.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed Hooray for FI! Sounds good.

  • Investor · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2013 · 394 posts · 123 votes
    8y

    Welcome @Scott Lewis.  Consider joining the Wilmington landlord group at www.gwhp dot com.  Most knowledgable group in the area for landlording in Wilm and N. DE.  Meet once a month at Iron Hill on the Riverfront for lunch.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Thanks, @Eric Armstrong! I just checked out the site and will find some time to check out one of the monthly meetings.

  • Hockessin, DE · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    @Scott Lewis I agree with Eric regarding the group meeting once a month. Those are the real guys to speak with in the area. That being said, just find an area that cash flows and take the plunge. The more deals you do the more people you’ll come in contact with you would have otherwise never known.
  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Hi everyone im also from wilm,de. Join bp a lil bit ago. A lil bit about me i got more  into realestate when i came across David L. I bought his re mentor training on multifamily properties, went to the boot camp and other events, also i join the delreia. Im in the process of rebuilding my credit so in the mean time, im practicing and trying to get better with underwriting, i plan on investing in de or somewhere that isnt to far for me to drive. But just wanted to say it nice to see people from our area.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Delaware County, PA · Member since 2009 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    I am a 14 year RE investor, but newer to Wilmington. Flipped one in Hedgeville earlier this year, and settle to purchase my first rental tomorrow.

    I've done my own research, but does anyone on BP rent on the Upper East Side?  to give an impression on rent income and finding tenants?

    Its a: 3/1 row, unfinished basement with W/D.  Has or will have: newer windows, heater, plumbing, and electric. New flooring and paint throughout.  Rear fenced yard. On street parking. Eat in kitchen and large LR. Close to park and trails. 

    We are attentive landlords who are choosy about tenants, looking for long term renters. I'm willing to renovate a bit to attract the best rents and the best tenants.

    Thoughts or questions?

    Thanks in advance. 

  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jeannette C:

    I am a 14 year RE investor, but newer to Wilmington. Flipped one in Hedgeville earlier this year, and settle to purchase my first rental tomorrow.

    I've done my own research, but does anyone on BP rent on the Upper East Side?  to give an impression on rent income and finding tenants?

    Its a: 3/1 row, unfinished basement with W/D.  Has or will have: newer windows, heater, plumbing, and electric. New flooring and paint throughout.  Rear fenced yard. On street parking. Eat in kitchen and large LR. Close to park and trails. 

    We are attentive landlords who are choosy about tenants, looking for long term renters. I'm willing to renovate a bit to attract the best rents and the best tenants.

    Thoughts or questions?

    Thanks in advance. 

    The upper east side that is north of Riverview Cemetery (34th St) is fine. And streets lower than that on the east side, that aren't in Midtown Brandywine, have historically been a challenge. If I were looking at properties on the east side I would, personally put greater emphasis to the east side addresses within 3 blocks the BPG revitalization of Market St, since this technically falls into the City's master revitalization plants. Upper East side is not part of redevelopment so it doesn't have any economic incentives or drivers going on there to help turn the neighborhood. 

    But again...just my own personal $0.02

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Delaware County, PA · Member since 2009 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Thanks James. This is near Walnut & 14th,  just east of Lawyers Row. While it's still rough, it's not far from improving areas and revitalization efforts.

    While that was definitely a factor, it's still a gamble if the city improvements will translate into appreciation for me. Would be great, but not counting on it.  

    Since the home was renovated thoroughly in the past decade, its mechanicals & shell are all updated if not new, it doesnt need much to be rent ready.  Cash flow should work nicely. That was the clincher. 

    When I started learning Wilmington, I had higher hopes than this area ...I do hope to move on up!  Thanks for your input.

  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jeannette C:

    Thanks James. This is near Walnut & 14th,  just east of Lawyers Row. While it's still rough, it's not far from improving areas and revitalization efforts.

    While that was definitely a factor, it's still a gamble if the city improvements will translate into appreciation for me. Would be great, but not counting on it.  

    Since the home was renovated thoroughly in the past decade, its mechanicals & shell are all updated if not new, it doesnt need much to be rent ready.  Cash flow should work nicely. That was the clincher. 

    When I started learning Wilmington, I had higher hopes than this area ...I do hope to move on up!  Thanks for your input.

     14th/15th/16th and Walnut you're probably still okay.   Every block you go lower than that though you're values start dropping very very quickly. 

    It's a weird pocket that's not really part of the main element of Midtown Brandywine, but it's not really part of the east side either. As a result it can have a bit of an identify crisis for realtors when they have a client who says they want to be in a particular neighborhood and at a particular price point...these properties may not pop up on someone's radar. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.