New to Real Estate and the Denver Area

New to Real Estate and the Denver Area

Rental Property Investor · Kansas City Area · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 6 votes

Hi everyone! 

My name is Dalton and I'm new to Bigger Pockets and real estate in general. I just graduated in May from Kansas State in Industrial Engineering and I'm moving in July to the Denver, Colorado area, so it's a totally new market for me. I'm in the early phases now of educating myself and saving for my first property but ultimately I'd like to be involved in buy and hold rentals of multi-family homes. My goal is to have my first property 1 year after moving, so by July of 2019. I'm excited to learn as much as possible and connect with others on Bigger Pockets. I'd love to hear from you about any advice or strategies you use or just your story in real estate. 

Thanks

3Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 3 votes
8y

Welcome Dalton! 

I'm in the same boat - new to BP & real estate - but have been here in Colorado (lived/worked in Colorado Springs, but work in Denver now) for the past few years. You're going to LOVE it! Yeah, it's expensive, but there's so much to do and explore. There is definitely a reason that people are flocking here from all over!

I look forward to hopefully seeing you at some BP events in the future!

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Welcome Dalton! 

    I'm in the same boat - new to BP & real estate - but have been here in Colorado (lived/worked in Colorado Springs, but work in Denver now) for the past few years. You're going to LOVE it! Yeah, it's expensive, but there's so much to do and explore. There is definitely a reason that people are flocking here from all over!

    I look forward to hopefully seeing you at some BP events in the future!

  • Dan MackinBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Erie, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 512 votes
    8y

    Welcome @Dalton Toelkes. Like AJ said you are coming here for the right reason, but it will be an interesting market compared to where you are. The best way to dig in here is to come out to the meetups and get to know folks. Feel free to send me a message and we could grab a drink when you get to town. I can give you the realities of getting into multis right now.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP. There is another person with your last name who is also a member - @Dave Toelkes - perhaps you know each other already.,.

  • Real Estate Broker · Palm Springs, CA · Member since 2016 · 43 posts · 19 votes
    8y
    Awesome, I’ll be moving to the Fort Collins area within the next few months and am looking forward to diving into the local investment scene!
  • Rental Property Investor · Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    Hi Dalton and all. I just moved my family in to Castle Rock and my wife and I are anticipating getting out first multi-family before the end of the summer. We plan to start investing in FL because of our network on the ground there. However, it would be great to start finding deals in CO as well. Can’t wait to start going to meet ups. If anyone hears or knows of any, please let us know!
  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 145 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    @Dalton Toelkes hi and welcome to biggerpockets. One of the best investments you can begin is with house hacking which is you live in one and rent out the other. May even be able to live for free or at least very little. Not to mention attaining equity at the same time in your property. Congrats on graduating that in itself is a great accomplishment! Good luck in RE

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 545 posts · 386 votes
    8y

    Welcome to the BP community @Dalton Toelkes! I am pretty new to BP and real estate investing as well. You are in a great market to get started! Best of luck.

  • Dan MackinBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Erie, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 512 votes
    8y
  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Dalton Toelkes Welcome to BP family! You'll find a ton of great resources here. Also, in addition to reading books and listening to podcast, I'd strongly encourage you join meetup site and find local REI groups. Networking is essential in real estate or any other business for that matter. It allows you to meet like-minded individuals and potentially future partners and/or team members to work with.

    Best of luck!

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Dan Mackin:

    Just gonna tag some of the other new folks in this thread so they see the meetup announcement

    @Dalton Toelkes


    @AJ Weigand

    Hope you guys will come.  It's a great networking opportunity!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    @Dalton Toelkes

    Welcome to the BP family! Glad you joined the best real estate investing website! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best!

  • James CarlsonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Dalton Toelkes

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets and to Denver. Great beer, legal weed, nearby mountains and 300 days of sunshine. It's a great place to live right now. I spent four years in Lawrence, Kansas so I know Manhattan decently well. I think you'll be pretty happy with the Mile High City.

    I'd echo the suggestion that you come to the BP meetup tonight. (I'd say the same for @AJ Weigand.) It's a great place to meet a bunch of people at various stages of their investment lives.

    Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.