New to REI in Oregon, and the Pacific NW!!!

New to REI in Oregon, and the Pacific NW!!!

Aurora, OR · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 8 votes

Hello beautiful minded people of Bigger Pockets!,


I'm super new to REI and I've been bit hard by the RE Bug. My wife (Nicole) and I have found that we're not spending the time that we want with our kids (Wylla, 21months & Westyn, 3months) nor doing the things we enjoy in life.

I currently work as a full-time Operations Manager for a Business Solutions, Equipment, Chemical and Paper company off of Swan Island which keeps me pretty busy. But on my commutes to and from work, on my breaks and lunches, and on my weekends when the kids aren't up I'm studying like a mad man, shoot, even when the kids are up I'm usually sitting in front of the computer with them on my lap as I explain to them the various ways to buy and finance real estate (getting them started.

  • I've read 10+ books this year so far. (Almost all of the BP published ones plus a few others)
  • Attended the majority of the webinars that BP puts on in the last couple months.
  • Finally signed up for PRO! (YAY to Calculators!)
  • Analyzing deals to the best of my abilities. (Going to go look at a couple. Wish me luck!)

My initial strategy is that I want to Fix n' Flip via Private, Hard, or Partnerships to acquire capital and then invest in buy and hold or do the BRRR where/when possible. My target niche for fix and flip will be SFR 2bd, 1-2bath acquired through MLS, REO's, and Targeted direct marketing. When reinvesting the gains from that my intention is to invest in Multi-Family homes leading up to the eventual apartment complexes and storage facilities.

Although, Nicole and Myself own our home I don't have a lot of actual RE experience, nor do I have a ton of capital, but I do have a ton of willingness to research, and hustle. My work career also brings 14+ years of management experience dealing with various vendors, employees, projects, etc. As far as RE I feel I "know" a lot for where I'm at, but am not exactly comfortable with that knowledge. I've found a few potential deals but haven't pulled the trigger yet because I don't have every aspect quite lined up as of yet. (Think good plan vs perfect plan). I've met with portfolio lenders for the refi aspect and feel confident in a BRRR if the property is good that I would get lending after seasoning. I need to still flesh out the who, what, where, how of private/hard/partnership financing for that initial purchase and rehab funding. I also need to connect with Contractors in the Portland/Salem and surrounding areas that are familiar with working with REI's.

Aright everyone, looking forward to the upcoming relationships, exchanges, and partnerships that being apart of this community will foster. 

Have a great Easter weekend!

2Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael S.Pro Member
Biggerpockets Support · Las Pinas, Metro Manila · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

You're off to a great start Jay and welcome to the BP community 

BiggerPockets
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael S.Pro Member
    Biggerpockets Support · Las Pinas, Metro Manila · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    You're off to a great start Jay and welcome to the BP community 

    BiggerPockets
  • Aurora, OR · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Thanks Michael!

  • Real Estate Agent · West Linn, OR · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 38 votes
    8y

    Hi Jay, happy hunting! I grew up in Canby, hoping to talk my wife into moving around that area. We bought a foreclosure in Canby about 3 years ago, it's been a great rental. We used a cash out refinance on our personal residents to get the down payment. Now we have a good size line of credit on it we use to purchase investments.

    Hard to find the perfect deal in this market, but I see listings that can make a profit, they go pretty fast though haha

  • Attorney · Wilsonville, OR · Member since 2017 · 504 posts · 411 votes
    8y

    Welcome @Jay Krietzman 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP @Jay Krietzman! Research is great! Hustle is better! Action is king. Good luck in your REI journey!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.