Newbie ready for action in Newport News, VA

Newbie ready for action in Newport News, VA

Investor · Newport News, VA · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes

Greetings to all! My name is Tara Bennett. My husband and I purchased a home last year and set a goal to start searching for rental properties in March/April this year. I started researching different topics (auctions, short sales, beginners guides to real estate) and found a youtube video where the guy mentioned biggerpockets.com about a billion times. I had to check it out. I've been listening to podcasts and reading nonstop (before work, after work, during breaks and lunches) since I found the site . I can't get enough!! I am so grateful for the wealth of information that you have provided to me already and can't wait to land my first deal.

My goal is to have enough cash flow to quit my job and be more available for our children. My current schedule (along with online class) doesn't leave me with much time for extra-curricular activities. I love to travel and be around my family and I am not currently able to accomplish that doing what I do for a living.

I would like to start wholesaling as quickly as possible. I listened to podcast 25 yesterday and Matt Whiteside intruduced me to deedgrabbing. I plan on getting leads from the list of properties with back taxes and driving for dollars this week. If anyone has any suggestions or tips please send them my way!!

I'm putting @Brandon Turner 's " How to Quit Your Job in Less Than Six Months Using Real Estate Investing" to the test. I can't wait to celebrate with you all when I make it happen. Talk to you soon!

0Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Fairfax, VA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 54 votes
8y

Welcome to BP @Tara Bennett!!! Looking forward to hearing your about your journey, please continue to keep us updated! We are familiar with the Newport News area so if  you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out! 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP @Tara Bennett I am also new to the site and to the world of REI so I don't have much advice to offer. But, your enthusiasm sounds infectious! Go get em! (I am a SAHM hoping to use REI to retire my husband in the next 3-5 years so that we can spend more time together as a family. I can totally relate to your "why".

  • Investor · Newport News, VA · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thanks for your reply @Rose Nielsen. I wish you success in whatever goals you have set for your family. Don't let anything get in your way!!

  • Fairfax, VA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 54 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP @Tara Bennett!!! Looking forward to hearing your about your journey, please continue to keep us updated! We are familiar with the Newport News area so if  you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out! 

  • Investor · Newport News, VA · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Bobby Montagne for your offer for assistance!! I'll make sure to post updates in the forums and ask questions as they arise.

  • Wholesaler · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    @Tara Bennett - welcome! I'm just starting out as well - made an offer yesterday and plan to make at least two more this week. Let me know if I can help or if you want to connect over coffee. Check out the local REIs - PREIA tomorrow and TRIG on 20 March - links below.

    https://www.meetup.com/va-preia/?_cookie-check=0dJ...

    https://www.trigofva.com/default.aspx

  • Investor · Newport News, VA · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    You are AWESOME @Cameron Peters !!! I knew about the TRIG meeting later this month but had no idea about the one tomorrow. I wanted to be able to go to a meetup before the 20th so this was right on time! Are you going to the PREIA meeting?

  • Wholesaler · Hampton Roads, VA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    @Tara Bennett - I will be at PREIA tomorrow - I will look for you to say hello.

  • Rental Property Investor · Newport News, VA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    Welcome Tara!

    I am fairly new into REI as well. You are definitely on the right track and BiggerPockets isn't anything less than the best to help get started. I too have been attending every webinar, reading books, listening to podcasts, and reading the forums. I will also encourage you to just message someone and start a conversation. I did with one investor from Norfolk, and now I am partnering with him for my first flip. I think this business requires us to be bold and not afraid!

    I will be at the PREIA meet up tomorrow as well, and hopefully get to meet you! I love the energy!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.