Astoria, Hoboken, Jersey City (Multi Family) Duplex, Fourplex

Astoria, Hoboken, Jersey City (Multi Family) Duplex, Fourplex

Plainview, NY · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 7 votes

Hi there-

I am very interested in getting into the RE industry, more specifically, in the niche of buying to live in AND rent a multi family duplex-fourplex in the surrounding NYC areas. I am someone who really wants to grasp a good understanding of the markets, research, and management. Any recommendations, connections, or insight would be unbelievable and appreciated greatly. Thank you and if I could add any value to you, I would be more than happy to!

Best,

Bryan 

1Reply
12 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    Hi @Bryan Fried and welcome! I started really becoming interested in REI about 18 months ago and like many others.. stumbled on BiggerPockets. I closed on my first multi family a couple months ago - I'll live in one unit and rent the other two once we finish renovating.

    For me... the BP podcasts were invaluable to building the knowledge that would eventually give me the confidence to start making offers.  I listened to every episode over the course of several months, tried to be active (or at least read) in the forums, and went to local meetups.

    It took a good 4-6 months of consistent, focused effort to feel like I could have an intelligent conversation about investing.  I've still only brushed the surface and have a ton to learn but for me personally... that was the first real "hump" to overcome. I credit a lot to the BP community but you'll definitely get out what you put in.  

    Good luck!

  • Plainview, NY · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    @Jordan Gregg. Thank you for your response and warm welcome! I really appreciate all of this.

    I've been listening to the podcasts myself and yes, they have been a great source of information. I need to be more active in the forums and attend some meetups in the area, great advice! I know it is a slow and steady process that needs to be handled with care and I look forward to the learnings to come.

    Congratulations on your first closing and best of luck in the coming months.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2014 · 60 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    Welcome @Bryan Fried

    How did you pick these 3 insanely expensive places to live?  This coming from someone who has lived in all 3!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y

    Welcome to the site @Bryan Fried

  • Plainview, NY · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Thank you for the warm welcome @Account Closed!

    I work in Manhattan, and see myself staying here for a long time. (Born & raised on LI, family still here, etc.). I would like to start off with a live in/rental property and those surrounding areas all fit my interests in location. I understand the high cost with all 3, a risk I am willing to take for the reward!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.