How can I find an honest and moral adviser/mentor?

How can I find an honest and moral adviser/mentor?

New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 20 votes

DISCLAIMER: I'm not asking for a mentor here but for an advice on how to find one!

Hi all, very first post here but a long time reader. Please bear with me...

I live in Brooklyn, NY, I'm in my late thirties and I've always stayed away from anything related to finances, investment and money in general because I've felt it was smelling dishonesty, fraud, "stabbing in the back" etc. I'm not saying it does! But this is how I've always felt about it.  

      I'm an electronics technician and a sound engineer (and a musician, of course), and both of these professions are creative and I love them, but they are very stupid from an investor's perspective where numbers rule, because they don't bring a good quality of life and you just work for your boss etc, etc.... 

But recently I've been hit by a series of tragic events, including death of my dear wife due to a disease, and my own health starting going downhill in spite of my best attempts to live a healthy lifestyle. Loss of my wife, the person I love the most, was especially devastating. And my health going down is a step away from being unable to work and there's no "disability" for my condition whatsoever. 

As a result of this, I'm looking for a way to invest in real estate so that I can survive without a day job. At first, it looks like a "Mission Impossible" for me. But I'm a die-hard. My financial goals are not terribly high - at least 1k monthly net cash flow. You may say it's quite low... indeed so. But I'm thinking of relocating overseas where life is cheaper, while having a rental property in the US.   

I've started researching the subject (mostly on BiggerPockets :-) ) and my first reaction was to turn to a TurnKey provider since there's no way for a non-money oriented mind like mine to learn this tricky business myself. But after researching two of TK providers closely, I've learned that with TK providers you can expect either or both: ripped-off-profit or poor quality of service. They have to make their cut not matter what, and they do it by above mentioned means. Period. 

Therefore, the only solution I see is to get in touch with a seasoned investor with high morals, honesty and ethics for a help with my first property or two. For a fee, of course. We'd need to get to know each other, I'd need to vet the person carefully and, hopefully, become friends. The investor would have his money-making machine in place with all proper connections. So a property acquired and managed for me would not be any different from his normal routine for himself.  And hopefully, his true intentions would be to help another fellow human being from the bottom of his heart rather than ripping me off. 

Do you think my goals of finding such a person (or a group) achievable? If so, were can I actually find such people, ESPECIALLY IF LOOKING FOR A MENTOR IS PROHIBITED ON THIS FORUM?

4Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y

YOu should be looking at buying GREAT performing notes.... NOT the asset.. owning the asset and living off shore is not a good play in my mind.. BE the BANK... let someone else deal with the day to day tenant etc.. and just ACH your payments into your account... 1000 a month is 100k in cash more or less  EASY EASY EASY .,,

See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    I must add that I'm looking to invest out of state.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Stan C.

    Sorry to hear about your loss...

    I am not a turnkey provider and I never worked with a turnkey provider...however, I would have to suspect that not all of them are there to rip you off or provide a poor quality of service.

    You have to be realistic with your rate of return when working with a turnkey provider.
    You should expect a higher rate of return than investing in treasuries
    however you should expect a lower rate of return than if you were to invest in real estate yourself.

    Onto tips for finding a mentor - You may want to attend a couple local real estate networking events. There are a lot here in NYC. At these events you will find investors of all levels(those who have decades of experience and some who never did a deal).
    You can find local real estate networking events through the events section here at BP or on meetup.com

    While you can find a mentor who would teach for free - you should find a mentor who charges a fee or asks you to do something in return(ultimately time is money...)

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    @Basit Siddiqi

    I was unable to find a good TK provider. They either add 30-40% to the cost of property they sell, or promise to squeeze rehab into unrealistically low total cost where they take their cuts by doing very poor quality renovations or management or providing questionable location. My BS alarm went off big time. If you know a good TK provider that you've dealt with yourself - please share it.  

    I'm looking at at least 10-12% net return, taking into account lots of hidden costs. 

    Thanks for an advice on local networking events. I will try to look for those. However, since most likely I will be investing in out of state (nearby states: CT or PA) or Mid-West, i doubt the local investors would discuss out-of-state properties, would they?

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Stan C.

    I invest without the use of a Turnkey provider so I can't provide any recommendations. 
    I think with any profession you research - you will find those who act unethically but you can also find those that are good. With that said - I personally am not sure you can find consistent annual returns of 10%-12% with Turnkey.

    Real estate networking events here in NYC range in many sizes. Some are as little as 10 people while others can attract 100+ people.
    Many NYC investors understand that investing in this city is hard and look for investing out of state. You won't know what it's like without going to one of them.

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    This is a short version of my original question: No Real Estate Investment experience, forced to start it due to health and other issues but hard to find trustable partner/teacher/mentor. 

    Can anyone add anything to what was already suggested by other people above?  Maybe direct recommendations?  Most likely I will need to invest out of state.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    So far I’ve invested in turnkey and bought one on my own, all out of state in Cleveland and memphis. I just calculated my overall blended ROI for the first 6 months and it’s 12 percent. This doesn’t include equity pay down, or tax benefits. Simply cash I’ve made divided by cash I’ve invested. Now I your returns are achievable for turnkey and definitely without. You want to invest in A and B areas in a rent range of 750-1100 (in my opinion) because you want to avoid the Low end and the high end (very high end).
  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Hey Stan. I'm a little late to the thread, but I'd be curious which turnkey providers you met and what numbers or data they showed you to show those levels of markups. I've always bought turnkeys for myself and I know for a fact there are some great ones out there. The prices of their property are level with the offering itself...the property prices may be higher than neighboring properties but it's because they are fully rehabbed/redeveloped and the price is consistent with the quality. Lots of turnkeys do great quality work too. You don't have to share names on the thread but if you want to message me and we can talk more or... just in case turnkeys are of interest, then I wouldn't want you to rule good ones out by accident.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    YOu should be looking at buying GREAT performing notes.... NOT the asset.. owning the asset and living off shore is not a good play in my mind.. BE the BANK... let someone else deal with the day to day tenant etc.. and just ACH your payments into your account... 1000 a month is 100k in cash more or less  EASY EASY EASY .,,

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    for the most part, successful people aren't out to get you. Most of them want to help you actually

    In fact, it's never been easier to find these people before either. They write books, ebooks, podcasts, blogs, and make videos to teach you everything they know and in many cases it's all free.

    Finding a mentor is a weird topic, no one is out there looking to teach a stranger for free. What they will gladly do is teach their friend who happens to have similar ambition and aligned goals absolutely for free.

    What you need a friend who can grow with you, should be just a little ahead of you, and has a similar plan as you. This should be fairly easy to find. You just have to participate in the circles they hang out in, like BP, reach out to people, try to be organic.

    If you just want to hire a mentor you can do that as well, but I think you'll find it much more expensive and much less valuable. organic friendships where people grow together is the most productive relationship imo

  • Chico, CA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    YOu should be looking at buying GREAT performing notes.... NOT the asset.. owning the asset and living off shore is not a good play in my mind.. BE the BANK... let someone else deal with the day to day tenant etc.. and just ACH your payments into your account... 1000 a month is 100k in cash more or less  EASY EASY EASY .,,

     Hi Jay - I’ve been chasing you through the forum a lot lately! Take this the right way - you’re a great free education!

    In any event - would you point me in a direction to learn more about notes? 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tim Connaughton:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    YOu should be looking at buying GREAT performing notes.... NOT the asset.. owning the asset and living off shore is not a good play in my mind.. BE the BANK... let someone else deal with the day to day tenant etc.. and just ACH your payments into your account... 1000 a month is 100k in cash more or less  EASY EASY EASY .,,

     Hi Jay - I’ve been chasing you through the forum a lot lately! Take this the right way - you’re a great free education!

    In any event - would you point me in a direction to learn more about notes? 

     Tim U can PM me and I can give you a few leads... if you wish. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 15 votes
    8y
    I'm sorry for the loss of your sweet wife. I can't even imagine. I think the only way to find a mentor is to personally connect with people. Go to your local reia meetings. Find a bigger pocket meet up. Connect with local investors. People in this industry are typically honest and giving. Get out of your comfort zone, off the internet and out of the house! This is hard for me as It's not easy to talk to new people. The more I do it, the more I enjoy it and the easier it becomes. Good luck!
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Stan C.:

    How can I find an honest and moral adviser/mentor? is the wrong question. The right question is how can you ad value to an experienced Real Estate Investor? You give them that & you'll receive mentorship in return.

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    I'd APPERSIATE IF TK PROVIDERS WOULD NOT REPLY TO MY THREAD. Thanks.

    @Caleb Heimsoth:  do you mind sharing what TR provider you work with?


    @Alexander Felice, @James Wise, I've never said to help me for free. In my OP I've wrote "For a fee", let's say a percentage of house closing, maybe 3% or so. The problem I see is finding highly moral and ethical mentor/TK company but I don't offer to be helped for free.

    So, I'm not trying to get into RI investment for big money (although that would be awsome!) but as a necessity. I don't see any other way of getting a passive income with such relativley low risk and "passivity" as with real estate, while soon I won't be able to work and my medical condition is not in the books to get any kind of disability and I'm not even 40 years old.

    Jay Hinrichs , Honestly, I have no idea what Notes are.... forgive me but my financial education is very poor, only recently I started learning about RI investment. Please refer me to more info about what you've suggested. I must add another complicating factor... currently I only have around 20K cash available, no 401K/IRA, good credit score, never owned a real estate (always been renting). All savings were spent into trying to save my wife. So no, I don't have 100k to invest in notes (even if I knew what Notes are :-)))) ). But I've heard that staring with 20K is possible, that's why I still have hope. I must be passive, so I will need to hire a Management company.

    Originally posted by @Ali Boone:

    Hey Stan. I'm a little late to the thread, but I'd be curious which turnkey providers you met and what numbers or data they showed you to show those levels of markups. I've always bought turnkeys for myself and I know for a fact there are some great ones out there. The prices of their property are level with the offering itself...the property prices may be higher than neighboring properties but it's because they are fully rehabbed/redeveloped and the price is consistent with the quality. Lots of turnkeys do great quality work too. You don't have to share names on the thread but if you want to message me and we can talk more or... just in case turnkeys are of interest, then I wouldn't want you to rule good ones out by accident.


    Oh, I would be glad to find a really honest and transparrent TK provider who doesn't rob unexperienced clients but I think there are higher chances of gettign help by an investor who doesn't act as a TK provider but who would agree to help me for a fee.

    You're right, why not sharing the names? I will. First, I've been listening to Clayton Morris's podcasts. The podcasts are very well made and he is an amazing presenter. He buys forclosed houses in Indianapolis for really cheap and sells them for 38K-45k cash only, promising to include a rehab in that great price. Well I followed two of his clients on this forum: the rehab Morris does seems to be of horrible quality and always takes much longer than anticipated, communication is very poor, the areas are questionable - if you're lucky you get a house on a decent street vs a bad next street, and he doesn't explain any of that. When people started compaining about him on this forum, he created a special podcast episode advisind investors not to be "control freaks" when buying passive investment properties - basically saying like it's OK to wait forever for your property to be rehabbed, after all it's passive investment, right??? He also sendt his clients to a horrible PM company in Indianaplis. Those two clients I followd on this form were able to acheive what they wanted anly becuase of publicity they've put to the matter and thus puching Clayton to complete those rehabs etc... This is a good example of what I call dishonest and unethical TK provider.

    Then I started looking for real people reiews on TK providers. Norada seemed to have good reviews. They have properties listed on their website, including in Indianapolis so I could compare them with those of Mr Morris. Basically those are same kind of homes that Morris sells, rented out for same amount, but Norada sells them for 60K-70K rehabbed. So, they take at least what... 50% cut for themsleves??? Also, their projected return on the website doesn't include tons of hidden expenses, when all taken into the account - I came up with very poor return numbers - but on the surface Norada looks awsome - so much confidence in their words, such clear-cut postst on the forum... This also doesn't seem to be honest or ethical, although to a leesser digree than in my first example. This is what causing my frustration and lack of trust. In both of above examples those TK providers didn't seem to treat customers the way they would want to be treated - that's my opinion.



    And there are other forum members saying they also invested with top-rated national TK providers and got bead deals and regret doing so, one particular thread comes to mind but the lady didn't share the TK's name.

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    The "@" mentions don't work in my browser....

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth  ,  @Alexander Felice,  @James Wise ,  @Jay Hinrichs ,  @Ali Boone  - please read my post above. Mentions didn't work in it....

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Stan C.:

    @Caleb Heimsoth  ,  @Alexander Felice,  @James Wise ,  @Jay Hinrichs ,  @Ali Boone  - please read my post above. Mentions didn't work in it....

     Again, you need to change your thinking. Some random guy saying teach me everything & then when I do a deal I'll give you a cut is incredibly unappealing to a successful business person. I get those calls & emails weekly. I don't want any of that in my life. What I want is someone who can fulfill a need for me. You need to lead with what you can do for them. Best place to start would be successful business owners who have a need IE they are hiring. You get the job, show your value & you'll end up being taken under their wing if you show some promise.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Stan C.  I agree with @James Wise.  I’ve been trying to help newbies with this topic as much as I can and it’s beginning to be a lot.  I’m getting more messages in a day than I used to get in a week.  

    That being said, I’d be leery of Morris invest.  Just look for threads on here regarding him 

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 20 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Stan C.:

    @Caleb Heimsoth  ,  @Alexander Felice,  @James Wise ,  @Jay Hinrichs ,  @Ali Boone  - please read my post above. Mentions didn't work in it....

     Again, you need to change your thinking. Some random guy saying teach me everything & then when I do a deal I'll give you a cut is incredibly unappealing to a successful business person. I get those calls & emails weekly. I don't want any of that in my life. What I want is someone who can fulfill a need for me. You need to lead with what you can do for them. Best place to start would be successful business owners who have a need IE they are hiring. You get the job, show your value & you'll end up being taken under their wing if you show some promise.

    But if money is not appealing, what is? Isn't this whole game for money, after all?  What would you want as a return from a person like me?   I wouldn't exactly ask for teaching everything they know but for helping me out on a property or two, by providing their expertise and experience. 

    Turn Key providers don't ask for anything but money in return. The only issue I'm having with them is so far I was unable to find a transparent and fiar TK provider, but the approach of "services in return for money" seems fair and straightforward and as old as this world.  

  • Specialist · Bozeman, MT · Member since 2017 · 191 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    I agree with @James Wise on this one. In my opinion, your best bet would be to work for an investor to expand your knowledge base. Time is money and a small percentage of your deal just isn't appealing. For one, it would take a lot of time to get somebody up to speed if you are starting with a blank slate. With that said, there is no guarantee that you will close any deals but the time will already be spent. I would be VERY weary to work with anyone who accepts that deal. 

    I really hope you find what you are looking for. With that said, the people who would accept a deal like you are proposing probably will end up being exactly what you don't want to find. 

    I would recommend reading about investing first and getting a solid foundation of terms and processes under your belt. 

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    again - mentorship is free

    transactions are expensive.

    what you're saying is you want to pay, fine, but you don't want to pay the market rate, you want to pay (I think you said) 3% of a transaction fee. Well when I do a deal I'm taking in 20-30%

    Why am I going to take a 90% cut in rate, PLUS teach you the process?

    Find a great mentor for free, or find someone you can pay, you won't be able to combine the two AND score a massive discount.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    I do not believe your goals are realistic in regards to making 1K per month and live abroad having real estate as a low risk passive investment. Real estate is defiantly not low risk or passive. You will need a PM which will be difficult to find and manage and will need considerably more income to make it worth your effort to manage from abroad.

    Your lack of knowledge and trust are hurdles you will not likely get over. 

    Your best option would be to join a real estate club, get to know some members and find someone to join with. Caviate is you need cash, the more the better.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Stan C.:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Stan C.:

    @Caleb Heimsoth  ,  @Alexander Felice,  @James Wise ,  @Jay Hinrichs ,  @Ali Boone  - please read my post above. Mentions didn't work in it....

     Again, you need to change your thinking. Some random guy saying teach me everything & then when I do a deal I'll give you a cut is incredibly unappealing to a successful business person. I get those calls & emails weekly. I don't want any of that in my life. What I want is someone who can fulfill a need for me. You need to lead with what you can do for them. Best place to start would be successful business owners who have a need IE they are hiring. You get the job, show your value & you'll end up being taken under their wing if you show some promise.

    But if money is not appealing, what is? Isn't this whole game for money, after all?  What would you want as a return from a person like me?   I wouldn't exactly ask for teaching everything they know but for helping me out on a property or two, by providing their expertise and experience. 

    Turn Key providers don't ask for anything but money in return. The only issue I'm having with them is so far I was unable to find a transparent and fiar TK provider, but the approach of "services in return for money" seems fair and straightforward and as old as this world.  

     To be clear I didn't say money wasn't appealing. What your offering isn't though.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    YOu should be looking at buying GREAT performing notes.... NOT the asset.. owning the asset and living off shore is not a good play in my mind.. BE the BANK... let someone else deal with the day to day tenant etc.. and just ACH your payments into your account... 1000 a month is 100k in cash more or less  EASY EASY EASY .,,

    I'm going to go with Jay on this one. Check out the notes route. I think those seem like they could be a better fit.

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 100 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    @Alexander Felice , @Millie H. ,  @James Wise ,  I used 3% as a hypothetical number, that would need to be negotiated. What would you charge, for instance? 

    My point is, it's not hard for an experienced investor to acquire one of many properties and make it cash flowing, they've done it hundreds of times. But money talks - if 3% isn't enough then it isn't.

    @Thomas S.,  There are many overseas investors invested in US real estate. I see you're in Canada, I assume your properties are in Canada, but there are investors all over the world. Of course I'm putting PMs management fees into my calculations.    

    What type of investment poses lower risk than real estate??? I'm eager to know. I've considered REIT but they are higher risk in my opinion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.