Beginning Investor in Dallas - DFW area

Beginning Investor in Dallas - DFW area

Carrollton, TX · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 10 votes

I'm a little slow at getting around to posting an introduction post.  I've already got a "how I got here" kind of post on my blog.  I'm an IT Systems Administrator at a point where I have to specialize to go any further.  I live in Carrollton, TX (suburb of Dallas) and commute to Down Town every day.  I want to stop that commute.

Anyway, my experience in Real Estate investing is only a little.  I've had a rental property that was my original house.  It's being sold.  I had purchased a 2nd house while the first was being rented and that one has been sold.  So I'm not new to the process of flipping, just new to doing intentionally for profit.  I've got a business partner who is a retired general contractor looking for something to pass the time.  Together I'm confident we can estimate repairs and perform them easily.  If we can't do it ourselves, he can manage a subcontractor to perform the work while I look on in awe and learn from a master.  All in all, a pretty good starting point.

I'm getting old (40, I know, that's not "old"...) but I've learned in that time that you can't be 100% sure about anything.  I've looked, researched, and done my homework so to speak so I'm now looking at the next steps.  Once my current contract signed and dried, I'll be looking for a property to start rehabbing with the proceeds of that sale.

So that's where I am.  My first goal is to learn enough from my partner and form enough friendships to have a group of trusted subcontractors that I just point them at a job and it gets done.  I'm also flipping houses to start off with so I can start the (new and improved...) BARRRR process.  It probably won't take long to get to that point but that's the direction.  The next big step goal is earning enough income passively to equal my job.  Build up a safety net then go full time real estate investing.

Feel free to connect with me, follow me, ETC.  If you're in the Dallas Metroplex, I hope to meet up with you some day.

I'm planning on catching the Denton County event in Flower Mound since I do live, technically, in Denton County.

Good luck in your business and I hope to form friendships with as many of you as I can.

--Zane

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Tyler HodgsonBusiness Member
Investor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 192 votes
8y

Hey Zane. Welcome! I will see you at the meetup in FloMo on the 30th. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tyler HodgsonBusiness Member
    Investor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 192 votes
    8y

    Hey Zane. Welcome! I will see you at the meetup in FloMo on the 30th. 

  • Carrollton, TX · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Sounds good.  I've never been to an event like this.  The closest thing has been a meetup group that does Craft Beer gatherings around the metroplex.  Getting in front of strangers will be completely new to me.

  • Andy WebbPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2013 · 750 posts · 538 votes
    8y

    Hey man, we are neighbors - at least in the same city. I am a Craft Beer fan...possibly going to check out the 3Nations brewery down the road in Farmers Branch later tonight. Let me know if you want to talk REI.

    Andy

  • Carrollton, TX · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    I haven't been to 3Nations.  Been to everything around Downtown Dallas (even the new location of 4 Corners).  We should get together and discuss.  I'm always looking to make more friends.

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
    8y

    Welcome aboard @Zane M.!!  Stick with it and you can easily have your money outearn you.  DFW market is on FIRE!!!

  • Carrollton, TX · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    I know, and that's why I'm wanting to get in sooner than later.  I'm still looking at where the best place to start would be (location wise). 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 263 votes
    8y

    @Zane M. Welcome to BP! If you are looking for another meetup, I go to one in Richardson. Most of the those that attend invest in the Dallas/Collin County area, but some Denton as well.

    @Dana Chun organizes the meetup. Next meeting is tomorrow (10/24).

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Hey Zane, talking with people like you is why I love BP. I love to geek out on RE with local investors. Give me a shout. We can grab a drink somewhere and talk shop or hit up some of the local meetup groups together. I work in Uptown so I'm pretty close to you. 

  • Carrollton, TX · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    @Andrew Herrig thanks for the welcome.  I'm still not sure where I want to work (area wise).  I have a road map for the next 2 years on what I am going to do, not where.  Still figuring that one out.  I'm right at the corner of Denton, Collin and Dallas.  I've have/had property in Fort Worth.  I'm just not sure which would be a good fit for my budget, strategy, and time frame.  I'd rather not throw darts and hope to hit one that's compatible with my goals.  That being said, I want to attend everything I can and get to connect with as many people as possible.

    @Hunter Hill

    I'm nothing special.  Right now I'm just another "newbie" still needing to earn my "street cred".  That being said, I've only got 3 tests left for my Real Estate License (and still on the fence if I should complete them), about a week worth of reading (that I know about) and then my full-time J.O.B. to contend with.  I'm sure we can meet up after I get off work one day.  The Gingerman isn't bad and I've never been to Katy Trail Ice House.  Also I can't "geek out" on RE yet.  I'm still to new to know much.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.