New Member, Currently Residing in San Clemente, California

New Member, Currently Residing in San Clemente, California

San Clemente, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 8 votes

Hello everyone,

I'm 21 years old and have been serving on active duty as a US Marine for the past 3 years and plan on attending college at Arizona State to begin the pursuit of my MBA in 2 years immediately after I finish my enlistment, but my "big time" goal in life is to become a multifamily real estate investor and create my own chain of luxury apartment complexes all over the United States and potentially all around the world, and from there become a venture capitalist and invest in small tech startups that have huge potential, but just not enough funds to get it started.

I'm still currently educating myself on the subject of real estate investing and real estate in general (reading books, listening to podcasts, studying markets in different areas, etc) and I look forward to networking and learning from all of you here and potentially even shadow/work with some of you sometime in the near future!

-Hunter Johnston

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SyriosPro Member
Moderator
Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
9y

Welcome to BiggerPockets Hunter and best of luck investing!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets Hunter and best of luck investing!

  • Doug McVinuaPro Member
    Property Manager · Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2016 · 608 posts · 426 votes
    9y

    @Hunter Johnston Welcome to BP and thank you for serving our great Country!

    Investing starts with one property, you could House hack the first one with a VA loan and have very minimal out of pocket expenses.

    God Bless the USA!

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    9y

    Hello @Hunter Johnston, welcome to the site! It's great to have you here. 

    BiggerPockets
  • Real Estate Investor · Mandeville, LA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Wow Hunter - I wish I was as smart as you when I was 21! I retired from the military 15 years ago and just this year began my Real Estate investment adventure. I wish you well and many years of much success.
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 602 posts · 250 votes
    9y

    Great to see another California investor @Hunter Johnston, persist and never give up on your journey man! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Hunter Johnston:

    Hello everyone,

    I'm 21 years old and have been serving on active duty as a US Marine for the past 3 years and plan on attending college at Arizona State to begin the pursuit of my MBA in 2 years immediately after I finish my enlistment, but my "big time" goal in life is to become a multifamily real estate investor and create my own chain of luxury apartment complexes all over the United States and potentially all around the world, and from there become a venture capitalist and invest in small tech startups that have huge potential, but just not enough funds to get it started.

    I'm still currently educating myself on the subject of real estate investing and real estate in general (reading books, listening to podcasts, studying markets in different areas, etc) and I look forward to networking and learning from all of you here and potentially even shadow/work with some of you sometime in the near future!

    -Hunter Johnston

     Welcome to BP Hunter.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2010 · 72 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Hunter.. Welcome! I'm in the Chicago area! Looking to network, brainstorm & grow my business! I just joined a great nationwide group of investors that are absolutely KILLING IT! I'm pretty excited from what I've seen so far & to be earning & learning alongside and with the best in the biz! We're looking to expand our network and train investors in other markets.. Message me, let's make some $$ together! 
Steve

  • West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2016 · 235 posts · 72 votes
    9y

    Welcome @Hunter Johnston

    You have an extraordinary vision. Use that discipline and focus that has been instilled in you and you will succeed. 

    If I could go back to 21, (I'm 31 now), I would tell myself to never take a week off of learning and never "get out of real estate." Listen to podcasts like BP as well as other great entrepreneurial podcasts like The School or Greatness, The Brendon Show, How I Built This, etc,  every week. No excuses.

    Enjoy your time at college with friends, girlfriends etc, but never get 100% caught up in that and lose your long term vision. Work at this vision bit by bit week by week and by the time you're 31, you could be mostly there. 

    I made the mistake of getting out of real estate back in 2011 after a few flips ended up in smaller profits than originally planned. Instead, I should have stayed the course, learned how to do it better after each project and by now I could have been a machine cranking out multiple flips per month. 

    If you ever lose motivation, just listen to a BP podcast, attend a REIA event, or similar, and your fire will be reignited. Good luck and thanks for serving our country so we can go out and invest in real estate!

    -Brad

  • San Clemente, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    Brad, thanks for the response I greatly appreciate your input! I plan to stay the course and continue to improve my knowledge on the subject and take the leap sooner than later and get the process started. My goals are to be capable of living completely off of my real estate investments by the time I'm 31 and I won't settle for less!
  • James LetchfordPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 87 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    @Hunter Johnston Welcome to BP. I was also a U.S. Marine and live in the San Clemente area. If there's anything you ever need, be sure to hit me up. S/F.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.