Newbie from San Francisco (interested in Columbus or Cleveland)

Newbie from San Francisco (interested in Columbus or Cleveland)

Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 41 votes

Hi there,

My name is Lesley and I am new to the Bigger Pockets community as well as Real Estate Investing. While I don't have any experience yet, I'm looking to network and learn more about buy-and-hold properties. I currently live in San Francisco, CA but am looking to invest in buy-and-hold rental properties in Columbus or Cleveland, OH. My goal is to replace my current income with income from investment properties within the next 10 years.

I am a licensed Interior Designer and, while I currently work on commercial spaces, I have experience in designing multi family units (finishes and layout) that I would love to put to use.

If you're an investor in the Bay area, I would love to buy you a cup of coffee in exchange for any tips or suggestions on getting started.

Cheers!

4Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 239 posts · 117 votes
9y

I'm glad to see everyone is excited about my hometown. Cleveland is a great location for cash flow and appreciation has been great as well. Always willing to help out some BP members!

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 192 posts · 95 votes
    9y

    @Lesley Ray Welcome to BP! We have almost identical goals, although Raleigh is my market and I'm already a few properties in (just got an offer accepted today actually!). Feel free to PM if you have any questions, and I work in Soma if you're in that area and  want to do coffee. I'd also recommend checking out Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller and Building Wealth One House at a Time by John Schaub if you haven't already. The former is a soup to nuts handbook and the latter is like like having a mentor give you pro tip after pro tip. Good luck!

  • Contractor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 317 posts · 181 votes
    9y

    @Lesley Ray& @Gabe C. .. I am an investor in southern California and I invest heavily in Northeast Ohio. I'm originally from Cleveland, and am heading there this week with my business partner to keep an eye on a few of our projects. Actually looking at turning a few of our rentals into corporate housing. If any of you want to talk shop, I'd be happy to discuss. Hit me up anytime.

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Lesley Ray:

    Hi there,

    My name is Lesley and I am new to the Bigger Pockets community as well as Real Estate Investing. While I don't have any experience yet, I'm looking to network and learn more about buy-and-hold properties. I currently live in San Francisco, CA but am looking to invest in buy-and-hold rental properties in Columbus or Cleveland, OH. My goal is to replace my current income with income from investment properties within the next 10 years.

    I am a licensed Interior Designer and, while I currently work on commercial spaces, I have experience in designing multi family units (finishes and layout) that I would love to put to use.

    If you're an investor in the Bay area, I would love to buy you a cup of coffee in exchange for any tips or suggestions on getting started.

    Cheers!

    Welcome to BP and the REI in general! Cleveland is a great market right now. There is a lot going on. Please let me know if there is any way I can help! Feel free to send me a message!

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Lesley Ray:

    Hi there,

    My name is Lesley and I am new to the Bigger Pockets community as well as Real Estate Investing. While I don't have any experience yet, I'm looking to network and learn more about buy-and-hold properties. I currently live in San Francisco, CA but am looking to invest in buy-and-hold rental properties in Columbus or Cleveland, OH. My goal is to replace my current income with income from investment properties within the next 10 years.

    I am a licensed Interior Designer and, while I currently work on commercial spaces, I have experience in designing multi family units (finishes and layout) that I would love to put to use.

    If you're an investor in the Bay area, I would love to buy you a cup of coffee in exchange for any tips or suggestions on getting started.

    Cheers!

     That's awesome that you plan to invest in real estate! We are local here in columbus. What types of properties are you wanting to purchase? What sets your eyes to Ohio?

  • Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    Hi @Robert Ellis,

    I'm originally from Ohio (Cleveland and Columbus), so I am familiar with the areas and feel more comforting starting my investments there rather than an unknown city. I'm looking for buy-and-hold rental properties, with little money down. I'd like to generate $10,000 per year in passive income, although I understand that will take time to build up.

  • Nutley, NJ · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I used to travel to Columbus a lot with my day job and think it was a great city.  I drove around the neighborhoods with a co-worker and always thought it would be a good place to invest in. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 602 posts · 250 votes
    9y

    Welcome to BP @Lesley Ray! I am moving up to Emeryville next month. Let's connect. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 653 posts · 769 votes
    9y

    Welcome, Lesley! OH is definitely a good place to do some buy and holds right now. I'm about to close on my 2nd duplex out in CLE and am always open to sharing what I've learned if you've got any specific questions.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    A pleasure to connect Lesley! 

    I'm buying and holding single-family homes in affluent suburbs in Columbus, primarily targeting desirable school districts to attract long-term family tenants. I'm closing this Friday on a house in Westerville more than happy to walk you through my deal end to end. 

    If of interest please inbox me to arrange a time to connect. 

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Hey Lesley! I'm down in LA and also invest out-of-state. Any reason in particular for Columbus and Cleveland as your picks?

  • Specialist · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 239 posts · 117 votes
    9y

    There are a decent amount of opportunities in both areas. I specifically hail from Cleveland. If you ever need boots on the ground or more information about a home, neighborhood, etc. I am always willing to help out a BP member!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2015 · 220 posts · 99 votes
    9y

    Hi Lesley,    Thanks for the post!   Your goal of 10 years caught my eye as my brother and I have the same goal in a similar time frame.   I'd love to connect to chat more!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2012 · 771 posts · 252 votes
    9y

    @Lesley Ray

    Welcome to BP. Feel free to PM me with any questions about the Cleveland, Ohio market.

  • Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    @Timothy Murphy III, Thank you! I will definitely reach out if I decide to go that route.

  • Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    @Bryan Pham, sounds great! Feel free to PM me when you get up here.

  • Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    @Ali Boone, I am originally from Ohio; born and raised in Cleveland and then lived in Columbus for 6 years. The area is familiar to me and I know I have friends and family in the area to provide assistance if need be.  I've also read (and witnessed) the rapid growth that both cities are experiencing.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 56 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    @Lesley Ray

    I have the same story only I am from Socal.  Did you go to OSU?

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Cool! Sounds like a good deal then! :)

  • Architect · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Welcome to BP Leslie! Great to see you here! I have ties to the Cleveland area too through my wife and have considered investing there. My research hasn't led me that far yet, but cash flow is easy to find, so are the properties. I lack street knowledge of the neighborhoods, so haven't purchased anything so far. Focusing locally for now. Let's catch up on REI next time we see each other.
  • Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    @Akshat Jain, Great to see you here as well! I am actually from Cleveland and have a family friend who is invests in properties around there.

    Let's definitely chat next time we see each other :)

  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 857 votes
    9y

    @Lesley Ray welcome to BP. Hope you narrow down where you wish to invest

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    9y

    Hi Lesley, 

    Welcome to BP!! 

    I am not in the Bay area, but you can grab me a virtual cup of coffee in exchange for tips on investing. LOL

  • Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 89 posts · 41 votes
    9y
    Rob Gillespie I will actually be in Cleveland the week of Nov. 11-24. If you're around and free, I'd love to buy you a cup of coffee.
  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    9y

    @Lesley Ray Looking forward to it!!! 

    Bring your winter coat!!! LOL

    The only thing hot about Cleveland is the Real estate!

  • Specialist · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 239 posts · 117 votes
    9y

    I'm glad to see everyone is excited about my hometown. Cleveland is a great location for cash flow and appreciation has been great as well. Always willing to help out some BP members!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.