New: Geospatial Planner, Michigan (Okemos, East Lansing, Lansing)

New: Geospatial Planner, Michigan (Okemos, East Lansing, Lansing)

Investor · Lansing, MI · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 21 votes

Hi BP'ers!

I'm a new member living in Lansing, Michigan and I'm about to graduate from Michigan State University with an MS in Urban Planning. Go State! I currently own 2 SFR's in Lansing, one I live in, one I'm fixing up. In fact, that is how I found BP - I was searching for some fixer-upper advice on Google. I'm going to list both of them soon so I can relocate when I find a job.

I'm originally from Bloomington, Indiana. Go Hoosiers! Indiana University-Bloomington is where I earned my BA in Geography. Also, I own a vacant land property just outside Bloomington. I listed it too so I can take all the investment money I have to my name and make a fresh start in a new geography.

Did I say I'm graduating soon? Well I am and I'm looking for a job in either the Urban Planning or Geospatial Analysis arena. Actually, it would be ideal if I could score a job where I can do both! And, I want to find my new job in a hot real estate market that still has room to grow. That way I can augment my vertical job income with some horizontal passive income (a little something I picked up on from the BP podcast with Pat Hiban).

Finally, I'm looking forward to participating in the Forums. I expect I will best be able to answer geography- and urban planning-focused questions. I'm not afraid to ask my own questions either. Thanks for reading!

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Bloomington, IN · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 9 votes
9y

Ben,

Welcome, and Go Hoosiers (its little 5 weekend!). I've never thought of asking an urban planning question, but now I know who to go to when I have one. Where is your property in Bloomington?  Is it zone for multi family or commercial units?  If so I may be interested or know others who are. 

Congrats on the pending graduation

-Marc

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bloomington, IN · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Ben,

    Welcome, and Go Hoosiers (its little 5 weekend!). I've never thought of asking an urban planning question, but now I know who to go to when I have one. Where is your property in Bloomington?  Is it zone for multi family or commercial units?  If so I may be interested or know others who are. 

    Congrats on the pending graduation

    -Marc

  • Investor · Lansing, MI · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    Marc,

    Thank you for being the first to comment on my intro, and my graduation!

    Who's your team in the Lil 5? I'm obligated to root for the Cutters since I'm a townie. As to my property, I wish it were zoned MF or C but it's AgRes, it's very steep in most places, and it's way out by Lake Monroe (but not shoreline unfortunately).

    And, please do bring on the urban planning questions when they pop up, There's not much point in all that studying unless I can use it to help people. Even better, I'm quite familiar with Bloomington and Monroe County planning/zoning.

    Ben

  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    Ben,

    Congrats on getting involved here at BP and more importantly, for getting ready to graduate a Spartan! 

    I'm also an MSU alum living in Lansing with an interest in real estate investing.

    Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about the Lansing area!

    Dillon

  • Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Welcome Ben! I'm have an Urban Planning and Regional Development degree myself (University of Arizona). I'm currently working as a Transportation Planner in Lansing MI. Welcome to the forum, I look forward to some good conversation.
  • Lansing, MI · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hi guys, Im also new to REI and I live in REOtown currently while we close on a Duplex in Lansing. What are your thoughts and the Oldtown and REOtown improvments?

  • Investor · Lansing, MI · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 21 votes
    8y
    Hi Kyle, Luke, and Marc, I just sent this message to Dillon but I wanted to send it to everyone else on this thread too. Hi [All], Thank you! And hey, I just got an offer on my first Lansing SFR and, God willing, I will close the week of the 16th-22nd. That still leaves me with my second SFR in Lansing and my newest acquisition, an SFR in Haslett. I did try to get into MF after House-1 but I couldn't meet those price points and still get quality properties at the time and the deals on House-2 and House-3 were incredible. Still, I'm keeping my eyes peeled while I continue to get House-2 and House-3 ready for rental (not sure which one I will rent first). That I've done all this while I have been looking for my dream job has only been possible with major help from the BP community! Thank you! All the best, Ben
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.