New Member from Switzerland

New Member from Switzerland

Turgi, Aargau · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 13 votes

Hi there
I'm a 23 y.o. university student from Switzerland. I have taken up an interest in real estate investing after reading Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki earlier this year (from what I read on the forums and heard on the BP podcasts so far, this is a popular starter drug among investors). Anyway, I'm at the very beginning of my life as a real estate investor and am not yet looking for actual deals. At the moment, I'm working on my financial education by reading all sorts of books about real estate investing (e.g. several from Kiyosaki's Rich Dad Advisors and BP's Brandon Turner as well as your president-elect), listening to podcasts (BP, Rich Dad Radio Show) and checking out the BP forums and blog posts.
What I'm looking for at the moment is basically any knowledge, best practices and tips you guys can provide, especially concerning the Swiss market, because that's where I will most likely start for practical reasons (living close to your investment). What I'm also glad for are book and seminar/event recommendations, specifically for the Swiss market if possible. Speaking of events, has anybody here visited the "EXPO REAL" in Munich? With that being such a large event, I would assume it's worth the travel/hotel costs?
Over the course of the next year, I will probably be looking out for some good advisors. So if anyone has any leads to good advisory firms in Switzerland, I'm all ears. Advisors/the team is another topic I would like to hear from you about. Robert Kiyosaki and his Rich Dad Advisors keep talking about the importance of having a whole team of advisors together before you even set out on your first investment property: An attorney, an accountant, a real estate broker and a property manager. Later, you can (and should) add more members, including, but not limited to: mortgage broker, a contractor, appraiser, insurance agent and tax advisor. Yesterday, while browsing the BP forums, I found a post of someone saying they own several properties but have never spoken to an attorney. So what is your philosophy here? What are your experiences with team members (or without them)?
Hopefully by now you can see what I'm about at the moment. It's still quite a big jumble up there between my ears, any information you can provide will likely help me out and will be appreciated.

0Reply
27 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    9y

    Hey @Dominik Perrenoud welcome to BiggerPockets go check out the Ultimate Beginner's Guide: https://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investin...

    It's a pretty neat guide for starting to learn more about Real Estate Investing.

    BiggerPockets
  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    In response to having a team in place before you buy your first property: I'm not convinced that's something that should be a major focus for you right now. More often than not your team will be built by trial and error. You'll hire the wrong contractor and then learn from your mistakes. Sure you can ask around and try to cut down on the mistakes but mistakes are inevitable, just make sure you Learn from them. If I were you I'd Focus on ONE THING: finding deals. That is above all else the most important.
  • Turgi, Aargau · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Dave Visaya for the link, I'll be sure to check this guide out in the coming days!
    And thanks @Account Closed for your input. I will keep it in mind!

  • Rental Property Investor · Zurich, Switzerland · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Hi Dominik. I'm living in Zurich right now an also very interested in real estate. I'm curious to know how your progress has been over the last few years since you posted this. Buying real estate in Switzerland seems so much more complicated (and obviously much more expensive) than in the United States which is obviously the the market of focus for bigger pockets. Do you have any good english resources to learn about real estate in Switzerland?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.