New Member in San Angelo, Texas and Logan/Ogden, Utah

New Member in San Angelo, Texas and Logan/Ogden, Utah

Real Estate Agent · Soldotna, AK · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 9 votes

   I'm Kyle Titus. I'm 24 and currently an active duty member of the Air Force so I'll moving around a little bit in my future. The markets that I'm currently seeking to invest in are Logan/Ogden Utah because I have family there and San Angelo, Texas because that is where I will be located next.

    I've currently done one deal in the Phoenix, Arizona area, again because of familial ties. I know that investing at a distance can be very difficult but I also know that with a good team in place it can still be lucrative. Im currently looking for any references to brokers/agents that work in and or around the San Angelo, Texas and Logan/Ogden, Utah markets. I've done a little bit of research on each one but I would obviously appreciate an expert's point of view before making any types of purchases. I'm really looking to use this great tool as a means to network and accelerate my ability to do deals.

    My overall goal is to replace mine and my wife's income completely through real estate investing by the time that we are 40. I know that is very attainable through smart and consistent investing.

2Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Amy KendallBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Lehi, UT · Member since 2016 · 397 posts · 318 votes
9y

I know @William Hochstedler is a good agent in the Logan Area! I would talk with him.  Very responsive and has lots of experience in those areas!

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Henderson, TX · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    you're thinking right. I'm trying to do the same, which it means that im not that wrong

  • Real Estate Agent · Ogden, UT · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Welcome Kyle! The areas you wish to invest in Utah are fantastic. Both college towns with tons of opportunity. I am currently an agent that specializes in Ogden and surrounding areas. Please let me know what questions you have and I would be happy to help you out!

  • Investor · San Angelo, TX · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    Hey Kyle, Great to see your post. I am an active duty investor and I have a couple of homes in San Angelo. It can be a great market for military students rotating through the schools there. Hit me up anytime. Good luck! -Don
  • Ogden, UT · Member since 2013 · 266 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    kyle,

    I remember the great times I had with the military. I think your making a great financial decision with investing in the logan/ogden area, I currently invest and sell real estate in those areas and have no regrets. best of luck

  • Amy KendallBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Lehi, UT · Member since 2016 · 397 posts · 318 votes
    9y

    I know @William Hochstedler is a good agent in the Logan Area! I would talk with him.  Very responsive and has lots of experience in those areas!

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Kyle Titus

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Make sure to listen to the podcasts. They are very informative, and contain ample information. https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/

  • Broker · Logan, UT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Thanks for the shout out @Amy Kendall

    We're here to help.

    I would just say that Logan and Ogden are quite different markets.  Logan is very much a college town with over 25% of the population somehow related to USU and the largest employer.  Weber State ( and the community colleges) play a much smaller roll in Ogden's market..

    Right now Logan is experiencing it's first price movement since the mid 1990's.  Ogden is much more dynamic (volatile) but has quite a bit more near to mid-term upside.

    Welcome to BP @Kyle Titus!

  • Real Estate Agent · Soldotna, AK · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    Alexis Jaramillo Thanks! Like I said I have family and friends in those areas that are also wanting to invest so I will definitely forward any questions I have onto you. Don Petrash I hope that I can make the best of my time in San Angelo and find some good deals. I don't know how long it has been since you were actively pursuing properties in that market but if you know of any good agents/brokers that work well with investors I'd love some recommendations. Mike Gallagher I also feel like it is a good financial decision and am excited to get further in. Amy Kendall thanks for the reference! I've read a lot of his posts on the Logan/Ogden market but thanks for tagging him here. William Hochstedler Yeah I have noticed the heavy reliance on USU in Logan. I have also seen/heard that the Ogden market can almost vary block by block, do you have recommendations for areas to avoid in Ogden? I've also noticed that, in Ogden, the closer down toward Weber state I look, prices tend to go up a little. Is that consistent with what you see as well?
  • Real Estate Agent · Ogden, UT · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Depending on what you want to do buy and hold or flip will depend on where you want to look in ogden. If youre looking by Weber State then above Harrison blvd is always nice and also south of 34th street into the terrace and surrounding areas such as riverdale and roy are great for buy and hold. just let me know what youre looking for. I know working with agents can be difficult for an investor but I am also looking into investing myself so I have the mindset of an investor since that is why I got my license in the first place. 

  • Broker · Logan, UT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I like to play around with the demographic map tool on Trulia

    There are absolutely better, more stable neighborhoods near Weber state and east of Harrison.  But these are the same vintage houses that get similar rents as East Central.  Because of the neighborhood and the long-standing Ogden stigma, there is a substantial difference in price points.  And this is changing...

  • Investor · Layton, UT · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 237 votes
    9y

    Let me caveat my response by saying that I have only 1 investment property in Ogden (but grew up very near and attended WSU), but I personally would have a harder time choosing a property west of Washington Blvd (400 east) and definitely west of Wall Ave. I'm sure you could find cash flowing properties (on paper) but I think you would have a harder time finding quality tenants. That being said, there are good people everywhere and with the right property manager in place I'm sure you could make some of those properties successful. 

    For me, I like to only look at properties east of 400 east and south of 25th street, but that's just my personal preference. 

  • Bountiful, UT · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    @Kyle Titus Welcome! And as a former Navy guy, thank you for your service!!!

    Replacing yours and your wife's income by 40 shouldn't be too hard given your military pay :D : D :D  j/k j/k But that is a great goal, and I hope you encourage all of your fellow service members to achieve that same goal! I wish someone would have started me in this business when I was still in. I'd be retired by now!!!! 

    Good luck you and your family. And stay safe!!! 

    All the best, 

    Aaron

  • Real Estate Agent · Soldotna, AK · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    Alexis Jaramillo Being an out of state buyer I would definitely prefer to buy and hold, I'm not opposed to rehabbing a little bit but still along the buy and hold lines. Thanks also for the ideas for where to draw lines on looking. William Hochstedler that tool is pretty awesome. I hadn't ever seen it before. I especially like the unnatural hazards tab. Also thanks for the other great information about the market in general. Much appreciated. Caleb Rigby that sounds like very sound advice. It pretty much goes with what I have heard from others as well. Lower prices are enticing but like you say, I'm sure that can lead to problems if you get the wrong renters in there. Thanks for the advice about where to confine my search to, I will definitely take that into consideration.
  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Kyle Titus welcome to BP and thank you for your service. It's so nice to see so many of our military here on the forums. Best of luck to you!
    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Lehi, UT · Member since 2016 · 136 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    @Kyle Titus FIG (Fourplex Investment Group) is building new investment properties in both Utah and Texas.  As part of FIG I am noticing very stable jobs in the South Salt Lake/Lehi areas that are a little less affected by Oil prices.  However north of the Hill Airforce Base is a great area with good economic growth as well.  We have a lot of out of state investors wanting to buy properties and be close to the Silicone Slopes area because of the 62,000 new jobs in the area and low low crime.  As an agent, that's usually the only complaint I get for the Ogden area, the crime can be tough.  My mother in law owns $5M complex in Ogden and currently us struggling with break-ins every month.  I would look hard at crime rates in all areas that you are looking at as well as the price range you are going to be in.  If your rentals are in the $700-900/month range you will struggle a lot more with bad tenants (my duplex always ended up having issues with druggies because it was old and I couldn't ask more than $850/month).  Now, I only buy newer properties in areas with large job availability and that will rent in the $1300/month range +/- $200/month.  I'm currently buying an Edge Homes townhome at a 6% cap that is 5 minutes from the Silicone Slopes and will rent for $1650/month, it will be finished in April and I'm excited to own my first rental that won't require the "sweat equity" that I normally have to add.

    Good luck, reach out to me if I can be a resource at all.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.