Newbie Orlando FL / QUIT 6 Figure job 馃槉馃槉 Need Mentor

Newbie Orlando FL / QUIT 6 Figure job 馃槉馃槉 Need Mentor

Marlton, NJ 路 Member since 2016 路 13 posts 路 4 votes
Hi BP Friends,          My Name is Deniz, recently sold my shares at the firm where I was the managing partner and had 6 figures salary..  ( Crazy? Trust me , had reasons.. I'm sure , will do well in REI in future )  exremely execited to start REI business in Orlando area in which I would like to develop a portfolio of multi family / SFR / Vacation rental houses and of course flipping business..           I have been reading BP and listening podcasts for the last two months and realy enjoyed every minute of it so far.. I know I will have up and downs in the course of RE but is it different in other areas? Anyway, I'm looking forward to work with a mentor / coach ( I'm ready for investments by mid Jan )  You may choose to learn form your mistakes or you may ask help from an experienced person to eliminate many of those..         I 'm married and have two lovely boys 8 and 10 ,  and a big fan of ski and traveled most of ski resorts in Europe..    For some of you it may sound a bit awkward but software programming is one of my hobby and I do this for the fun of it..  Currently working on an ERP which I will use in my RE business and that will allow me to get rid of all excel sheets / notepads etc,..  and will enable me share all data with my team members.. Yeah, I love web based ERP programmes and they are quite good but I have found most of them much likely being designed for big corporations not for mid-size business owners.. and I perefer something I always carry around with me which is deginitely not my lap top but my smart phone !.. So, this programmed is designed for iphone and ipad for the moment but also has web base option.. Anyway, when completed , will share scree shots in BP marketplace..        Hoping to meet many of you in local REI meetings !..  DC
3Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent 路 Melbourne, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 8 posts 路 5 votes
9y

@Deniz Cengiz Welcome! I'm new too! I'm in Central Florida and found out about Bigger Pockets through our local REIA, the Central Florida Realty Investors.  CFRI is great because the members are really open about sharing their knowledge.  It's a pretty positive group and affordable to boot - $150/year.  They have a lot of different focus groups every month.  Check out their calendar of events.  

@Account Closed's BP meeting on the 28th will be my first BP event.  Hopefully I'll see you there!

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Brokerage/Vacation Homes/Short Term Vacation Home Rental Marketing 路 Orlando, FL 路 Member since 2013 路 159 posts 路 127 votes
    9y

    Hi Deniz -

    Welcome.  BP is great for information and assistance.

  • Marlton, NJ 路 Member since 2016 路 13 posts 路 4 votes
    9y
    Hi, Keith Courtney and Stephen Anderson thanks for warm welcome !.. will definitely contact both of you, As stated in my earlier post I 'm ready to go for investment in Jan 2017 !..
  • Lender 路 Orlando, FL 路 Member since 2009 路 121 posts 路 74 votes
    9y

    Deniz:

    Indeed you may choose to learn from your mistakes, but in this business your mistakes may cost you a great deal of that capital you just pocketed. You are correct there are ups & downs to anything we may choose to do in life and this is no different. While it isn't brain surgery there is a great deal to cover and to learn and like most other endeavors to become proficient will it require time, diligence, and laser focus. The idea is not lose money while doing so unfortunately all too many have in many ways because they thought this was going to be easy.  Of utmost importance here is the team you surround yourself with, which will be the most valuable and critical investment you will make.  This is a relationship business, your goal now is to surround yourself with those who know what you do not and can do what you cannot.  

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Dallas-Fort Worth, TX 路 Member since 2016 路 35 posts 路 3 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Deniz Cengiz:

    Hi BP Friends,

    My Name is Deniz, recently sold my shares at the firm where I was the managing partner and had 6 figures salary.. ( Crazy? Trust me , had reasons.. I'm sure , will do well in REI in future ) exremely execited to start REI business in Orlando area in which I would like to develop a portfolio of multi family / SFR / Vacation rental houses and of course flipping business..

             I have been reading BP and listening podcasts for the last two months and realy enjoyed every minute of it so far.. I know I will have up and downs in the course of RE but is it different in other areas? Anyway, I'm looking forward to work with a mentor / coach ( I'm ready for investments by mid Jan )  You may choose to learn form your mistakes or you may ask help from an experienced person to eliminate many of those.. 

           I 'm married and have two lovely boys 8 and 10 ,  and a big fan of ski and traveled most of ski resorts in Europe..    For some of you it may sound a bit awkward but software programming is one of my hobby and I do this for the fun of it..  Currently working on an ERP which I will use in my RE business and that will allow me to get rid of all excel sheets / notepads etc,..  and will enable me share all data with my team members.. Yeah, I love web based ERP programmes and they are quite good but I have found most of them much likely being designed for big corporations not for mid-size business owners.. and I perefer something I always carry around with me which is deginitely not my lap top but my smart phone !.. So, this programmed is designed for iphone and ipad for the moment but also has web base option.. Anyway, when completed , will share scree shots in BP marketplace..

    Hoping to meet many of you in local REI meetings !..

    DC

     Welcome to BP Deniz!  You sound like you already have a successful mindset!  Wishing you many deals and more success!

  • Professional 路 Carlsbad, CA 路 Member since 2012 路 12k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Deniz Cengiz

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Make sure to listen to the podcasts. They are very informative, and contain ample information. https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Melbourne, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 8 posts 路 5 votes
    9y

    @Deniz Cengiz Welcome! I'm new too! I'm in Central Florida and found out about Bigger Pockets through our local REIA, the Central Florida Realty Investors.  CFRI is great because the members are really open about sharing their knowledge.  It's a pretty positive group and affordable to boot - $150/year.  They have a lot of different focus groups every month.  Check out their calendar of events.  

    @Account Closed's BP meeting on the 28th will be my first BP event.  Hopefully I'll see you there!

  • Richardson, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 31 posts 路 18 votes
    9y

    Hello @Deniz Cengiz,

    Welcome to the BP community. I can relate your story to mine, just the scenario in my case is a bit different. I like your conviction, confidence, and determination in your opening paragraph! Keep it that way, as the REI road is a rough one, just like any other biz. I am also a big user of technology for business. Have you used Podio?

    Same like you, married with 3 kids, also looking to work with a mentor/coach.

    Since programming is your hobby I cshare some ideas for the RE industry. Anything you need in Dallas TX please feel free to call, text, or email me anytime.

  • Investor 路 Bushnell, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 456 posts 路 224 votes
    9y

    Hello Deniz, 

    Welcome to Bp, and congratulations on making the move to real estate investing .. 

    @Sam Ally I'm pretty sure Deniz was referring to asking for a mentor when he said he could learn from his mistakes or ask someone who has already made those mistakes ... Hence why he is looking for a mentor .. @Deniz Cengiz correct me if I'm wrong .  Anyway my partner out of state pretty much did the same thing your doing .. He spent many years designing and engineering cell phones and their cradles and parts for a major manufacturer , matter of fact he holds around 23 Patents and took a buy out because he wanted to invest in real estate .. He then met me and we are moving forward with building our empire .. He is funding us 100% and I'm doing all the boots on the ground stuff including managing the flips and everything before and in-between we then split profits 50/50 .. eventally we are going to get involved in buy and holds which at that time we talked about starting a property management firm , not only to manage our properties but others also. Because I found funding pretty quickly when I came back to investing after taking a few years off from it . I pretty much skipped over the wholesaling part, as in I never really learned and perfected the bird dogging and wholesaling and sometimes I regret that. Now that I'm having a difficualt time finding properties with enough profit potential to split and still have a decent profit , I am forced to look at hundreds of properties from wholesalers who seem to want to make it rich off one property ( not all of them but a lot ) I'm finding most market the same property and add the amount they feel they would like to make on that property even though they don't even have a contract with the seller , they are just marketing another wholesalers property .. This is happening a lot .. I then follow the bread crumbs until I feel confident I located the original wholesaler . I can normally tell because the property in question is sometimes as much as 40k less than other wholesalers trying to market the same property . Had I spent the nessesary time learning the process better then I could have a wholesaling team and cherry pick which properties I want to flip and then wholesale the others . I tell you this because you are just starting out and can take 6mths and learn the ins and outs .. Not saying you can lean everything in 6 months but you would have a but of advantage over a investor like myself .. I am now putting all my buying attention toward auctions .. I hope to make it to Stephens meeting this month And  hopefully I'll  see you there . I'm about 1 hr 15 min away from that meeting place but I still look all over center florida for properties . If I can help you any just give a shout out and please do your due diligence when choosing a mentor and be careful not to get taken advantage of ..it happens to the best of us .. If you decide to learn the wholesaling part first then Stephen might be a good choice .. ( only recommend because of reputation , I haven't actually met him yet ) I wish you the very best .. And ...

    God Speed , 

    Michael Short  

  • Investor 路 Bushnell, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 456 posts 路 224 votes
    9y

    @Sam Ally , Its nice to know that somebody else sees what I keep  complaining about , it would be nice to have a team of bird doggers. Maybe later on when I'm doing 4-5 flips a month , which I hope to be doing in the next couple years ..hell.. Hopefully sooner .. Lord knows both myself and my partner are very excited about to future possibilities . I hope maybe we can meet and possibly help each other out in the future , I'm sure I could certainly learn a lot from you and your team .. Till that day take care and 

    God Speed ,

    Michael Short 

  • Lender 路 Orlando, FL 路 Member since 2009 路 121 posts 路 74 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed  I urge you to take some of that flip money and apply it to building your cashflow portfolio, this is where the market is currently. We went from 15 flips monthly in So.Cal to building a rental portfolio in Florida and shall continue to focus on building that for the next several years.  Position yourself properly and I guarantee you 2 or 3 yrs from now you will find an abundance of properties at 35 cents on the dollar.  

  • Investor 路 Orlando, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 780 votes
    9y

    I am hosting a local BP Meeting in Orlando monthly and invite you to the next one on Nov 28 at 6:30PM. Click here for more info and to register if you plan to attend.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521-events-an...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.