BP Newbie from Harrisburg, NC with a few scars

BP Newbie from Harrisburg, NC with a few scars

Professional · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 2 votes

Hi,

My name is Rob Smith and I have been in the Real Estate industry for 16 years. The road has been long and winding and now I'm learning and growing and enjoying the whole process. I'm currently on the real estate account of a major, global financial institution based in Charlotte, NC managing some aspects of their Global Real Estate locations.

In 2001, I bought my first townhome, fell madly in love with my next door neighbor, and we married 2 years later. That began my journey as an accidental landlord. I started as a part time leasing agent for a family owned Multi Family Housing company and quickly rose to Vice President, Regional Property Management. In 2006 we lost everything when I was laid off. From 2006 to 2012 we did our very best to rent, sell and manage our personal properties to no avail. 

Now, four years later my wife and I are limping back into the market and I'm so excited to know that Bigger Pockets is here.

Ten months ago, I joined Bigger Pockets and started to learn and grow and stretch. We've made 20 offers on homes in the MLS through a broker in and around Charlotte. The competition is fierce and we've been beat in all our offers. Working exclusively through the MLS has been a huge mistake and it's embarrassing that it took 10 months to learn the lesson.

We are now driving for dollars. I've connected with another investor in the area and I'm working with him to bird dog some properties. 

Our goals over the coming year are as follows:

1. Analyze 25 properties a week, Walk 10 properties, and make at least one offer a day. 

2. Build to rent one home. We live in a great, working class neighborhood and the prices are accelerating. Last year, homes were selling for $105,000 and this year they are selling for $130,000. There are three lots available, owned by the city. 

3. Generate $20,000 savings to put back into real estate purchases throughout the year. 

Thank you for all of your work and help on the forums. This community is amazing.

2Reply
30 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome to BP Rob! You've got some good goals lined out, best of luck!

  • Contrarian Investor · Greensboro, NC · Member since 2016 · 219 posts · 174 votes
    9y

    Heck of a story Rob.  Best of luck!

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Hey Rob welcome to BP! Seems as though you've found the site as helpful as I have. I started working with a buyer here in Charlotte not too long ago so I'm well aware of the fierce competition you speak of. Would love to connect and see how we can help one another reach our respective goals!

  • Specialist · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 111 posts · 95 votes
    9y

    Hi Rob, You are on a good track now for building a solid portfolio here.

    It is amazing about the non-mls finds.. 

    all through networking, very enjoyable and profitable and as i always say, it is important to 

    Make $ the day you buy!

  • SC · Member since 2014 · 303 posts · 183 votes
    9y

    Welcome @Rob Smith.  You've got a great set of goals - best of luck!

  • Investor · Carthage, NC · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Welcome, also looking to build to rent in NC.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Rob Smith

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Make sure to listen to the podcasts. They are very informative, and contain ample information. https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.