Middle Aged Newbie in New Haven Ct getting his feet wet.

Middle Aged Newbie in New Haven Ct getting his feet wet.

Project Manager/RE Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Let's try this again...Brett Avelin here.  LIve in Guilford, Ct, am looking to invest in New Haven CT if I can afford it.  Also looking at Wilmington NC on a tip from a friend if New Haven is too pricey (Last BP Podcast with Steve Garner from Wilmington was super helpful and full of good tips)    

Haven't found/reached out to local REIA yet, but aim to this fall. I am currently invested with a syndicate group in a 105 unit property down in GA. Did it so I could learn about the process. In truth I have found the whole thing a bit over my head and intimidating, but I think it will be a good investment as well as good learning.and I should be able to get my cash out in the next year after the refi. The people I am working with are top notch. I have enjoyed their level of professionalism, due diligence, and proactive steady approach.

Am looking to do my first deal this next year on my own.  Have been studying the Air Bnb market as my mother in law has inspired me.  She is 75 and was burning through her retirement, so now she rents a room in her apt. in New Haven East Rock neighborhood and has it rented 5-6 nights a week all year round.  The BP Podcast with the guy from Austin TX (forget his name) was very helpful regarding Short Term Rentals.  Guess I'm a bit nervous though given the unknowns regarding regulations, saturation, finding the right people to manage/clean etc in the Air Bnb market.  

Looking to have this first deal be five to ten units.  Realize it's a lot to bite off first time through, but from everything I have been reading/hearing it makes the most sense.  I have some background in construction and currently am a Project Manager so I would look manage it myself unless there is an existing Property Manager in which case I will see.

I am happily married with two kids.  We love playing soccer, swimming in the summer, and enjoying romps around New England to Cape Cod, Maine, and Vermont.  I also have gotten back into playing guitar of late and look to play out at some point for fun.

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael S.Pro Member
Biggerpockets Support · Las Pinas, Metro Manila · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

Welcome to the BP community Brett and all the best on the first deal. 

BiggerPockets
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael S.Pro Member
    Biggerpockets Support · Las Pinas, Metro Manila · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome to the BP community Brett and all the best on the first deal. 

    BiggerPockets
  • Investor · Highland Park, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    I looked briefly into the NH market and there seemed to be lots of opportunity there I would love to hear from someone  that has experience  investing there

  • William CollinsPro Member
    Investor · Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2013 · 373 posts · 299 votes
    10y

    welcome to the BP community and investing in CT. I am looking at eventually trying shoreline airbnb.

  • Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Hey Brett! Welcome to bigger pockets. It looks like you have some good ideas on how to into real estate. Wishing you good luck as you get started!
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 114 votes
    10y

    Hi and Welcome to Biggerpockets @Brett Avelin!

  • Licensed Contractor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    Welcome to the BP community @Brett Avelin, best of luck investing!

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    10y

    @Brett Avelin,

    Welcome to the Best Real Estate Site on the Net.
    It is always nice to see another Ct., resident in the forums.
    Click on the "Education Tab" at the top of the page, and you could be spending many hours on the Information that is available.
    Raymond

  • Project Manager/RE Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Hey

    Thanks Raymond. Yes lots to learn. Will check it out. 

  • Project Manager/RE Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Big thanks for the warm welcome. You guys are from all over the place!  Look forward to learning and sharing along the way. 

  • Project Manager/RE Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Kevin Breed how far are you from Wilmington NC?

  • Licensed Contractor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    @Brett Avelin I am in Wilmington...small beach town Carolina Beach is a community of Wilmington. I have sent you a message as well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.