New investor in St. Louis, Missouri

New investor in St. Louis, Missouri

Saint Charles, MO · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hello Everyone,

Here is a quick introduction. My name is Aaron and I recently relocated to St. Louis, MO area due to a career at Stifel Financial. I currently rent and have entertained the idea of purchasing a duplex or other small multifamily unit and house hack (as I have noticed this is a seemingly popular idea amongst new investors). I would love any feedback from people who are in my shoes now or who have been in them in the past on things or scenarios to consider before beginning this journey. Also, as I am STILL very new to this, any recommended learning material such as good articles, books, etc. pertaining to my situation would be appreciated immensely.

Best Regards

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 16 votes
10y
Welcome! I would recommend downloading every bigger pockets podcast and listen to them, over time of course. I really enjoyed them. Then when you are finished/caught up listen to wheel barrow profits with Jake and Gino. They have been on bigger pockets and have a similar podcast, only specializing in multi family. Welcome the group.
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 16 votes
    10y
    Welcome! I would recommend downloading every bigger pockets podcast and listen to them, over time of course. I really enjoyed them. Then when you are finished/caught up listen to wheel barrow profits with Jake and Gino. They have been on bigger pockets and have a similar podcast, only specializing in multi family. Welcome the group.
  • Saint Charles, MO · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks for the response. I have already been spending every non working minute listening/watching bigger pockets podcasts. I look forward to following up with wheel barrow profits!

  • Real Estate Professional · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Welcome Aaron Welter I am also in the St. Louis area, and fairly new to the game. I am looking at the same options as you to get started! Best of luck, and feel free to reach out anytime as I am from St. Louis, and know the area pretty well.
  • Wholesaler · Saint Augustine, FL · Member since 2016 · 328 posts · 98 votes
    10y

    @Aaron Welter Stay active on here and use your keyword alerts! You will learn so much. Good luck and welcome to the club!

  • Linda LabbePro Member
    Investor · North Bay, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 709 posts · 262 votes
    10y

    hi   WELCOME TO Bigger Pockets  am active in St Louis and looking for more eyes  on the ground feel free to contact me

  • Investor · Swansea, IL · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Aaron Welter I just recently moved close up here as well for a job change to Mission: STL. So a big congratulations on your new job. So far I am greatly enjoying the new city living. I am currently living in Illinois, but I work in STL. This is a merely for convenience of having family and a babysitter. My wife and I just had a REI that we went to and learned a mass of information. We do not currently have any investments in the area, but we are actively involved in analyzing deals and looking for opportunities for a house hack. I wish the best of luck to you and I hope that we can meet sometime soon and talk about strategy and get involved in local REI groups.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    @Aaron Welter

    Welcome to the BP family! You came to the right place to learn all about real estate investing! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing
    Check out BP Podcasts: http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/podcast/

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best!

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Aaron Welter

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Make sure to read the Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

  • Peter MacKercherBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 567 votes
    10y

    @Aaron Welter Hey, happy to have you here. Like others have said I'd recommend getting out there and attending some meetups to get a better feel for how other people are operating in the STL market. Always best to get that knowledge as close to the source as possible. Feel free to reach out if you'd like to chat, always happy to talk shop.

    Cheers!

  • Saint Charles, MO · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Good to see more people from the St. Louis area in BP. I am also living in St. Charles, it look like we might be neighbors hehe. I am also starting investing and also work as a realtor assisting home buyers and investors.  @Aaron Welter there is a big investor community in St. Louis. Here are some meetup groups in the area:

    https://www.meetup.com/TheSouthSideInvestmentClub/

    https://www.meetup.com/LifeonaireREIA/

    https://www.meetup.com/StCharlesREIA/ (this one typically have around a docent people assisting is good if you have particular questions or for advice, also its free that is always a plus)

    https://www.meetup.com/FasterHouse-Buyers-Club/

    https://www.meetup.com/realestate-520/

    The one that I personally recommend the most is the SSIC they have good speakers and there is a good number of experience investors on their meetings. Let me know if you are interested in meeting on a cafe to talk about real estate and the local market.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.