Real Estate Newbie in Northern Virginia

Real Estate Newbie in Northern Virginia

Chico, CA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 2 votes

Hi folks! My name's Paul Munly and I'm a full-time federal employee, tired of the 'rat race' and looking at commercial Real Estate investing as a means of creating wealth for my family and giving back to my community. I own a single-family home in the Manassas, VA area and am contemplating a move back home to Portland, Oregon in the not-too-distant future. I've been doing some research and stumbled upon Peter Harris' free Commercial Real Estate Investing for Beginners course on Udemy, which has me hoping to make my first commercial deal by then end of 2016. While I'm still making my way through the course, I've been applying the concepts I've learned thus far (using CAP rates, GRM, Cash Flow, and Cash-on-Cash returns to evaluate properties) and hope to find a mentor in the BiggerPockets community who's interested in teaching me the ropes of doing actual deals in exchange for my assistance. If that sounds interesting to you, or if you have any words of wisdom, drop me a line! I look forward to chatting with you all!

0Reply
20 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 515 votes
    10y

    Hello @Paul Munly and welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is a great place for all things real estate. BP offers free online videos and educational courses and even has it's own podcast in itunes. You can also post blogs and share ideas with other. You came to the right place and I wish you all the best.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP

  • Rental Property Investor · Carlisle, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 543 votes
    10y

    @Paul Munly, welcome.  Check out the podcasts and webinars.  Good luck!!

  • Rental Property Investor · New Kent, VA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Welcome from Richmond! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    @Paul Munly  welcome to BP from a fellow Northern Virginia Real Estate Investor. 

  • Investor · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    @Jack Butala Welcome to BP!  I've learned a lot from this site and have met some great people as well.  Good luck!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.