New Member from Tacoma/Puyallup, WA

New Member from Tacoma/Puyallup, WA

Realtor · Sequim WA & Port Angeles, WA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 78 votes

Hello, my name is Catherine Barnes. I have worked in the property management field for 17 years. I have managed single family homes, duplexes, triplexes, condos and apartments for property owners since beginning my career in 1990. Before moving to Washington, I was employed as the Community Manager of a 197 Unit Apartment Community in Carmichael, California. I am also a landlord myself ! I still learn something new every day working in this business. Tacoma/Puyallup area is such a great market right now. Prices are affordable and rentals are hard to come by. It's a landlords paradise. I am currently working as a Residential Property Manager at Vista Property Management in Puyallup, Washington.

1Reply
8 views

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 601 votes
    10y

    Hi @Catherine German, 

    Welcome to the BP Community. Thanks for introducing yourself. Don't be shy at jumping in on the forums and familiarizing yourself with the blogs and podcasts. Lots of great stuff on here. All the best!

  • Real Estate Investor · Bonney Lake, WA - Washington · Member since 2016 · 58 posts · 35 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP! Glad to see more new members in the area.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 33 votes
    10y
    Welcome to the BP community! Please reach out. I'd like to learn more about property management.
  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 786 posts · 717 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP.

  • Investor · Kent, WA · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP Catherine, I believe you are spot on with the Tacoma/Puyallup are being a landlord or other investors paradise.  Sounds like you have some experience behind you.  Do you go to meetups?  Maybe we will meet there sometime.  I'm venturing into your market now and would be great to chat!

    All the best

  • Realtor · Sequim WA & Port Angeles, WA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 78 votes
    10y

    Thank you. Yes - I have been in the business for a long time. Both of my parents were rental property owners and landlords since I was a small child. My mom was a Realtor and Property Manager and owned her own property management company in Stockton, California.

  • Bellevue, WA · Member since 2016 · 154 posts · 57 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP, @Catherine German! Sounds like you have a lot of great experience! What are you looking for next in your real estate ventures? How can this community help you? 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 49 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Catherine German.  I hope you find the networking here at Bigger Pockets helpful.  I am not in your market but I do enjoy property management (I know that might sound odd).  I look forward to hearing from you on this platform.

  • Realtor · Sequim WA & Port Angeles, WA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 78 votes
    10y

    Hi

    @Jennifer King - I would like to network with people who want to invest in S. Tacoma area houses. This is an older neighborhood with some great deals, Craftsman homes and old cute bungalows from the 20's and 40's. I can find the deals but cannot buy right now. Just bought my 1922 Craftsman in August 2015 for 155K and I could turn around and sell it today for about 225K with no improvements.

    I moved from Sacramento in January and have been working as a Maintenance Manager for a property management company in Puyallup and am moving into Residential Management now with the same company so I need to build my portfolio of rental properties. Seeking to network for referrals with Realtors.

    I was born into property management and it's something I know but there is so many other areas of Real Estate I don't know so I think that this is might be a great forum for learning.

  • Puyallup, WA · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    @Catherine German

    Welcome to the forums! Do you refer any of your maintenance contractors to others who self-manage (like myself)? Or is that something that's not in the best interest of your business (which I would completely understand)?

    Enjoy your time on this site! There's a ton of useful information here!

    Curt

  • Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 31 votes
    10y
    Welcome Katherine! It's a great time to get started!! Tacoma has tons of opportunity right now for BRRR deals.
  • Realtor · Sequim WA & Port Angeles, WA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 78 votes
    10y

    Hey @Curt McClements I'm happy to refer you to contractors. Yes, I have a good vendor list. I have worked hard to get it. When I rolled into S. Hill, I had been out of the area for 7 years. Let me know what you need done and I can give you some names. They are reliable and reasonably priced, plus insured & licensed.

       

  • District court clerk · Kent, WA · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    10y
    Welcome to BP! Glad you have joined our group. I look forward to seeing you around the site.
  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Catherine Barnes

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 500 posts · 243 votes
    10y

    Hello @Catherine German and let me add my welcome to the Bigger Pockets Pierce County community!

    If you or @Curt McClements are ever stuck for a plumber, I would also recommend Rick or Jim at Main Line Drain, they've done good work for me, both non-emergency and emergency stuff.

    Catherine, I will likely be contacting you at some point related to my W-2 profession, but I would be interested in seeing if you're also looking at the city of Tacoma itself, or just the south areas?

  • Realtor · Sequim WA & Port Angeles, WA · Member since 2016 · 164 posts · 78 votes
    10y

    I live in the South Area and I just see so much opportunity all around me but I like all of Tacoma market for RE bargains.

  • Real Estate Investor · Auburn, WA · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP, Catherine! 

    I'm fairly new here myself, and I've started looking in Tacoma myself. You mentioned old craftsman style houses down in the South end, and that what I want to start looking for. I'd love to connect with you and pick your brain one where the best places to look would be.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.