Newbie Chicago Investor Looking 2 Network, Help A Brother Out?

Newbie Chicago Investor Looking 2 Network, Help A Brother Out?

Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes

Hey BP Family! 

The names DeVante Hill and I am currently located in Hazel Crest, IL (South Suburb of Chicago). I always frequent the Big City and will hopefully be staying on the Northside in 2017. I went to the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign and majored in Poly Sci. I currently am studying to be a licensed realtor in the state of Illinois and that's the extent of my real estate experience. 

I got attracted to real estate because I like the flexibility of the industry and the myriad of ways to make money from real estate (liens, rentals, flips, etc). I also wanted a job career doing something I can be passionate about while also not having my financial security being dependent on me getting up at 5am, 5 days a week, for the next 30 years of my life.

In addition my grandfather has various real estate holdings in the Chicago and surrounding suburbs (vacant lots in up and coming areas and affordable housing) but unfortunately he's old fashioned and operates under the "fix it myself and save a dime" mentality. This has caused him to work for his property instead of allowing the property to work for him. Which leads me into my next topic.

My goals for real estate are simple I want to network with local Real Estate Investors who can help me learn as much as I can about investing so that I can get off to a quick start. I truly believe that once I get started, the sky's the limit!

~DeVante

2Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 153 votes
10y
DeVante Hill Welcome to the BP community. There are a lot of great resources here for you to utilize, so keep participating in the forums and ask plenty of questions. I'm a local investor in the Chicago market, and I focus primarily on the south side of the city and surrounding suburbs. If you're looking to network, Jeff Valentino hosts a great meet up every first Tues in the month out in Orland Park. Reach out to him and he can give you more information. If I can help in anyway I'm here-reach out if you have any questions. Good luck
See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Glenwood, IL · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Welcome @Devante Hill I'm from Glenwood, IL & I'm a new wholesaler.   This is truly a place where you can network and learn!  Happy investing!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 153 votes
    10y
    DeVante Hill Welcome to the BP community. There are a lot of great resources here for you to utilize, so keep participating in the forums and ask plenty of questions. I'm a local investor in the Chicago market, and I focus primarily on the south side of the city and surrounding suburbs. If you're looking to network, Jeff Valentino hosts a great meet up every first Tues in the month out in Orland Park. Reach out to him and he can give you more information. If I can help in anyway I'm here-reach out if you have any questions. Good luck
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y

    welcome to BP!  We have an awesome group of local investors on here always willing to help out

  • Spring Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Good Morning , My name is Bob , I'm a Bigger Pockets Member that Flips homes, and am also a Full Service General Contractor that specializes in  only working with Investors on rehab/repairs to get there investment homes ready for sale,If I can be of assistance on any homes you are looking at or have under contract ,we would be Glad to Help.

  • Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Martha F. We're basically neighbors. Keep me up to date on your progress and ways that I can help!

  • Glenwood, IL · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Yes we are!  We can rally & support one another @Devante Hill !

  • Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Hey @Larmon Cummings Jr thanks for responding. Yes, I will stay active in the BP Realm and will not hesitate to reach out. Thanks for referring me to @Jeff!

  • Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Hey @Brie Schmidt Thank You! Yes I agree, as I am slowly starting to find out and the support so far has been amazing!

  • Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Hey @Bob Madro that's good to know! I will def stay in touch with you!

  • Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Martha F. Yes I agree we can create a system of accountability!

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Hello and welcome @DeVante Hill. BP has great info and networking with other professionals.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @DeVante Hill

    Welcome. 

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). You can Google to locate them and go to meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

  • Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Hey @Paul Timmins Wow, Thanks for the insight! Your single post has helped tremendously! I definitely will niche down and put my effort into one solid area instead of spreading myself too thin. And the literature you have provided will be of great use to get me up to speed. Can't thank you enough.

    ~DeVante

  • Investor & Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 86 posts · 29 votes
    10y
    Welcome! I invest in Lansing, IL which is just down the road from you. Tons of great resources and people here on BP. Let us know how we can help.
  • Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Hey @Derek Martin that's great to hear,that's not too far! I have family that lives in Lynwood so I frequent the area quite often. Yes I agree, I've been soaking up as many podcast as my brain can handle while also establishing beautiful connections. I will not hesitate to reach out.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wheeling, IL · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hello Devant H.

    I'm new to Chicago but I have 20 years in construction and now a home inspector / fliper.

    I hear the south side is heating up. I will be looking it over, I can halp you with a rehab / or inspection. Thire are REA groups that meet ups that meet  in Chicago and  around good place to start. 

    Ps. Be wise about buying class telling you how to do Real Estate. 

    Net working will teach you more I thank.    

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 353 posts · 213 votes
    10y

    @DeVante Hill - Welcome to Bigger Pockets, but also the world of Real Estate Investing. When I started, I did the GURU thing, and went into Wholesaling. I worked on it for a very long time. Bandit signs, craigslist ads, yellow letter campaign. After 10 months, I had spent a ton of money and did 2 deals, but it was a ton of time and moeny for very little return. Then I opted to start going to REIClubs. I went to a few, and they were sales pitches, or worse, teh organizers wouldnt' let you network with anyone but them, etc.

    I then did a few meetups and more REI Clubs, just because I felt there had to be something better. I attended one group. The guy running it asked me a question.. "When I first had the idea of doing Real Estate Investing, did I want to be wholesaler? did I even know what that was?". I didn't answer. I sat stumped. I took a few days, then e-mailed him.

    It was the most eye opening question. The question is this. what do you want to do? Then DO IT!!!

    I then delved into networking to learn being a landlord and make that happen. Do you know how much money that guy forced me to give him. NONE. It was an investor, helping another investor. Best advice I ever got. So mine to you is this. GET OUT FROM BEHIND THE COMPUTER AND TV. go meet up with REAL investors. Key being REAL, not jsut those saying they are investors.

    Get to REI Groups. There are a ton locally. I can share my thoughts with them privately. I don't want to step on toes, but each group has its own personality, its own identity. I hit up a couple, but ruled some out. Just didn't work for me. But they could for you, etc.

    So go to them all, find out which ones work for you. But NEVER just go to one group and stop thinking they are all like that. THEY AREN'T. And also, to really get something out of a group you like. you have to attend regularly for others to take you seriously.


    Good Luck to you Neighbor! Oh, and I-L-L-I-N-I!!! How about how we just got Lovie Smith? 

  • Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Dale Stevens Solid information as always. And yes I agree, I will attend multiple Clubs to find my sweet spot. Preciate the straightforward guidance. 

    As far as Lovie, that come out of nowhere but definitely is the right move to restore some order on the gridiron. I'm more curious about Groce future at this point!

  • Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    @DeVante Hill I loved your intro and the passion behind it. I think you're in the right place. Within a year I went from learning about Real Estate investing to buying my first rental and getting my Realtor's license. I wish you the best in your endeavor. 

  • Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Greg Niemann Thanks greg I will definitely be needing your expertise!

  • Financial Advisor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Hey @Loukas Stoumbos that's awesome news to hear man. I will definitely aim for the same time frame to get the ball rolling! Preciate the kind words.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.