New investor in Los Angeles from Chicago

New investor in Los Angeles from Chicago

Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 5 votes

Hi everyone! I've been lurking around BP on and off for a while now and I've finally decided to write my first post. About 9 months ago I moved to LA  from Chicago and I've been loving every minute of it. I've been researching the various ways of real estate investing on BP and I feel that wholesaling would be best for me right now since I'm just getting started. I would really like to connect with other investors and learn about your experience in the industry and to meet new people. If anyone has any advice on local real estate investment clubs that I can attend please let me know. I'm really excited to get started and make my dreams come true :)

2Reply
12 views

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Massage Therapist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 613 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    @DaNia Allen

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. 9 months! You been here about 8 months longer than me...Lol. I'm enjoying my experience here at Bigger Pockets so much that in 38 days I earned the Addict and Welcome Committee awards. I'm learning faster by participating. The more I know the more comfortable I am doing what it takes to be confident and successful investing.

    During your time here at Bigger Pockets you may have noticed various resources such as: ebooks, forums, blogs, webinars, podcasts, keywords alerts, an awards system, a learn section, colleagues, informative people in many fields of real estate, and more. 

    You mentioned connecting with REIA meetings. There are several in California. Go to Bigger Pockets Members list and search for members who have information associated with what you are seeking. Send a colleague request. Link to members or people in real estate to have as accountability partners, and mastermind groups.

    At the bottom of this page is a list with help in it. Click on help. You we see answers to questions that you didn't even think of. Example @mention function.

                                    Enjoy as you prosper.....

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @DaNia Allen thanks for introducing yourself! It's great to have you here! Don't miss The BiggerPockets Podcast - they are great for learning how others are finding success.

    I highly suggest that you take a look at - The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Wholesaling

    Oh - and be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts- especially for "Hawthorne" so you'll be notified when people mention it here in the forums.

    Thanks again for introducing yourself!

  • Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Renea Steward

    Thanks! I've been doing my best trying to read as many forum and blog post that I can. I really enjoy the podcast and have found those to be extremely helpful. The only thing that I wish the site had was a glossary on terms (I might be overlooking it). I'm still trying to figure out what probates, spec houses, and REOs are.

  • Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Brandon Turner

    Thanks! I'm really enjoying your site and love the podcast that you all have put together.

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2015 · 202 posts · 34 votes
    11y

    welcome to BP, i agree the podcasts are great!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Lakewood, CA · Member since 2008 · 96 posts · 31 votes
    11y

    DaNia,

    Welcome to BP, this is the best site in the industry that is for sure. I grew up in Hawthorne so welcome to California.

    Feel free to reach out to me if you need any help at all.

    Regards,

    Bernie

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @DaNia Allenwelcome to BP and congrats on making the move to LA. What type of real estate are you looking to invest in? 

  • Massage Therapist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 613 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    I noticed your questions @DaNia Allen. Probate is a legal document.

    Spec is short for speculative.

    Spec houses is a custom home on a site built from a unique set of plans for a specific client.

    REO is Real Estate Owned

    I'm looking forward to being one of your accountability partners.

                                   Enjoy as you prosper......

  • Massage Therapist · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 613 posts · 84 votes
    11y

    @DaNia Allen

    REO is Real Estate Owned by banks

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    @DaNia Allen

    Welcome to the BP family! You came to the right place to learn all about real estate investing! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 469 posts · 81 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP @DaNia Allen!!!  I concur with @Renea Steward and @Brandon Turner. Lots of info to help you sort through and plenty of forums to ask questions and get ideas...

  • Wholesaling · Kearny, NJ · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Welcome @DaNia Allen! Plenty of people are on here that will help you and help you where you want to go. 

    Goodluck!

  • Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joe Fairless:

    @DaNia Allenwelcome to BP and congrats on making the move to LA. What type of real estate are you looking to invest in? 

    I'm looking to start off with wholesale deals then work my way up to purchasing rental properties. I've always wanted to own my own apartment building. When I was younger my family use to own an apartment building that we lived in and I'm hoping to do the same and build a portfolio of rental properties.

  • Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko I've tried to used the search for members function but the results only display Chicago area members and not members surrounding me in LA.  Do you have any advice on this?

  • Yucaipa, CA · Member since 2010 · 137 posts · 96 votes
    11y

    @DaNia Allen

    You're only able to search in the Chicago area most likely because you initially signed up for BiggerPockets while you were in Chicago. I bet your profile says Chicago. 

    You will need to change it to Hawthorne. Go up to the top right of the screen where your picture is. With the dropdown go to "Profile & Settings" and change to Hawthorne with the correct state and zip code.  If that doesn't work use the Contact Us page found in the footer at the bottom of the page and ask the staff to help you with the change.

    Guy

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @DaNia Allen:

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko I've tried to used the search for members function but the results only display Chicago area members and not members surrounding me in LA.  Do you have any advice on this?

    When you got to the 'meet' area you should be able to view members near you, unfortunately because I don't see your screen I can't troubleshoot it for you. Hopefully you can figure it out.

  • Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko @Guy Olds thanks guys. I'll have to send an email and report it. I was just trying to see if anyone else had experienced the same issue.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @DaNia Allen

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Make sure to check out all the informative podcasts.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.