Dent guy from Virginia, looking to get involved with buy and hold

Dent guy from Virginia, looking to get involved with buy and hold

Automotive Dent Removal specialist · Forest, VA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 1 vote

Hey everyone! 

My name is Kodi and I am 23, own a mobile paintless dent removal business based around lynchburg and roanoke Virginia.  I just opened last year, but business is already great and now my goal is to buy my first buy and hold property by this time next year.

The only reason I am waiting until next year, is because everyone is telling me I need to be in business for at least 2 years before I can get any type of mortgage or home equity loan. 

I have been listening to the podcasts and reading the forums for a few months now and I am hooked. Really look forward to meeting new people and learning everything I can! 

0Reply
11 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Blacksburg, VA · Member since 2013 · 53 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets, Kodi!

    No need to wait two years. Find a good deal, and the financing will find you!

    If I were to tell anyone to wait before investing, it would be to spend that time educating yourself.

  • Automotive Dent Removal specialist · Forest, VA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Thanks for that Andrew! 

    I do plan on educating myself as much as possible, then once I have a solid plan I will start searching for the deals. At this point I'm just still not sure what's really a "deal" and what's not. I only moved here a year ago so I really don't have many connections as far as realtors, contractors, or people I can bounce ideas off of. Not coming up with excuses, I guess I'll just feel more confident once I have done some more networking 

  • Property Manager / Real estate investor · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Hey Kodi,

    I'm in Lynchburg and can give you quite a few contacts in regards to contractors. I had trouble spotting deals at first as well so it's best to study/know the area you're planning on buying in before you pull the trigger. You can use a realtor just make sure you have a good one that understands what you're trying to do, otherwise they'll sell you anything. 

    Once you know the area, you'll know based on the amount of repairs, whether or not it's a good deal. You have to learn how to analyze deals either through your own spreadsheet or the BP analyzing tool. 

    -Are you handy with tools? 

    -Do you have a wife/GF/friends willing to get her hands dirty? 

    -What type of properties do you want to invest in, SF, multi-family?

    Another thing... ppl will always tell you to wait or you can't do something when you want to do it, but where there is a will there is a way. You just want to be prepared before you do anything.

    Let me know if you have any questions and I'll help you out as much as I can or point you in the direction of someone that's know more than me.

    Take care,

  • Automotive Dent Removal specialist · Forest, VA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    hey Christian thanks for the advice! 

    I am very handy, and I'm great at figuring things out. 

    My fiancée is on board with REI 100% and she is trying to research as well, and she is all about doing the work ourselves. She's the one who's good with design type things, her only problem is seeing potential in really ugly things haha.

    Currently I think I'd like to get started in single family homes, then when I have that down is like to try a multi family.

  • Brian ChadwickPro Member
    Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Welcome to BP! Good luck.
  • Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    11y

    welcome to bp @Kodi Rath

    Read,ask lots of questions,listen to the podcasts then get to wrk learning ur market

    Make sure you come to the next meetup in Roanoke 

    Good luck

  • Property Manager / Real estate investor · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 6 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kodi Rath:

    hey Christian thanks for the advice! 

    I am very handy, and I'm great at figuring things out. 

    My fiancée is on board with REI 100% and she is trying to research as well, and she is all about doing the work ourselves. She's the one who's good with design type things, her only problem is seeing potential in really ugly things haha.

    Currently I think I'd like to get started in single family homes, then when I have that down is like to try a multi family.

     Sounds like a plan, it always best when you're able to do things on your own, that way later down the road when you don't have time and have to hire someone they're not jerking your around.

    We really wanted to start out in Multi and since I'm a PM I figured it would be easy but I underestimated in many areas at the time so we've taken a step back and are buying small SFH's and will revisit once we have all our ducks in a row and team completely assembled.

    Let me know if you want to meet up at some point.

    Talk soon

  • Automotive Dent Removal specialist · Forest, VA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Mark Brogan when and where is this meet?! I would love to be involved. 

  • Automotive Dent Removal specialist · Forest, VA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Account Closed I would love to! Where are you located in va? Maybe my fiancée and I could meet up with you and your wife/GF/significant other for lunch or dinner one evening? 

  • Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    11y

    @Kodi Rath

    Set up your keyword alerts for Roanoke va and the man that sets up date and time will let u know 

    We meet once a mnth

  • Real Estate Agent · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Mark,

    I am also in Roanoke and would be very interested in those meetings.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.