Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 239 posts · 90 votes
New to the site and wondering if there are other investors in my area (Washington DC metro and Baltimore metro areas) that are into real estate data- that's my specialty...
Really looking forward to this site. Been listing to the pod casts for a while!
I went to library school but now it is called information studies or something fancy like that. I'm hoping to use my librarian (Information Specialist or whatever they're calling it) powers on RE. How do you envision using data?
My current research method is focusing on a few neighborhoods and seeing what is going for what and why. Making spreadsheets for past sales, picking out fields (columns) that weigh more to me and adding info that won't/can't be found in the public MLS.
Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 239 posts · 90 votes
11y
Very cool! That's interesting data mining and sounds like an analytical approach. I use data for just about everything, but the main thing I've been working on is a tool that uses Zillow valuation data to mine the MLS for deals. So far, it is working well and in final testing now- I'm hoping to mine the MLS daily for deals and make the first step (finding a property) more efficient for investors. Hope that makes sense!! :)
COCKEYSVILLE, MD · Member since 2009 · 65 posts · 28 votes
11y
Take a look at the frankly.com website. It has been a great source of data in the past, but since Frank is changing his business model it may not be as available in the future, unless you can use his agents. It is very easy to get sold data by subdivision, for example.