First deal in the works!

First deal in the works!

Asheville, NC · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 2 votes

Hello! My name is Zion Greenfield and I am from Asheville, North Carolina. I Graduated from Appalachian State University in December with a degree in business. I come from a real estate family. Almost everyone in my family has been involved in real estate in some way. My aunt owns the largest Keller Williams brokerage in south florida and many of my family members are a part of her team. Since graduating I have been working on a massive addition to my fathers house. While working on this project I learned a lot about rehabing and remodeling homes. 

About 5 months ago, shortly after I moved back home to work on the house, my father suggested that I invest in a house and rehab it.  This suggestion got me really thinking. I began to look around at the financially successful people that I knew. I began to realize that the majority of them were in the real estate biz. After talking with several of them, and discovering bigger pockets I was sold on becoming a real estate investor.  

From here I began reaching out to the successful real estate investors that I knew, and I knew way more than I ever previously realized. After hearing all their stories I decided it was time to start learning the market. I got an agent, who was recommended to me by an investor,  and began looking at houses all over town.

When my father made this suggestion he was under the impression that he would be able to get a 2nd mortgage on his house to fund the project. When I started to really do my research I learned that I needed to have a realistic plan for how I would fund my investments. At this point in time my father found out that he was unable to refinance his house due to his recent bankruptcy, regardless of the large amount of equity he had in it. About this time I learned about creative finance.

I notified my realtor of my economic situation and to my surprise it didn't phase her. She said that she had faith in my investing career and would be happy to continue working with me even though I had no capital. I have since been looking at homes with her every couple weeks. Aside from learning the market I have also been trying to build a network.

I have been keeping in close contact with my mentors, I informally have 4 right now, and I have also been attending CREIA meetings as well as a real estate investment meet up group. All of this hard work has started to pay off a bit because today I just may have stepped into my first deal, which I will make another post about right after this!

If you have read this far thank you for your time and I look forward to being a member of the bigger pockets community!

Peace!

Zion

1Reply
27 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    It sounds like you have a great foundation in place Zion! Even better, you're surrounded by people with experience. That will keep you motivated and straight arrowed. Please stick around and share your successes!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP community @Zion Greenfield It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more.

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 677 posts · 309 votes
    11y

    Here ! Here! Welcome Zion. Sounds great that you have been exposed to real estate investing and you know several people already in the business. Good luck to you and hopefully we will here more of your endeavors. 

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Zion Greenfield

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is a treasure chest full of resources. You will find resources here from blogs to pod casts and forums. You can also send messages to members which is my favorite part of the website.

  • Pat S.Pro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Asheville, NC · Member since 2013 · 82 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    Welcome to the forum @Zion Greenfield! 

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y

    Hey @Zion Greenfield, welcome to BP and the wide world of REI!

    It sounds like you have an amazing foundation in place, and a great head on your shoulders.  You're doing all the right things.

    I'm an active investor & agent not too far south of you, so feel free to reach out anytime.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.