Newbie out of San Antonio, Texas

Newbie out of San Antonio, Texas

San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Good afternoon y'all my name is Manuel Fernandez, I am the third and probably not the last I'm thinking. I've been interested in real estate for awhile but have only recently started taking action. I am a young Texas native, and an undergrad (full-time) in my junior year majoring in RE Finance & Development at UTSA. I've been listening to the BP pod casts, and was on show #100 where upon hearing Josh talk about getting the most out of BP I decided to stop being a lurker and introduce myself. I've also been taking notes, reading forums, watching DIY programs, and signed up for the next SAREIA and SARENC meetings later this month. My short-term goals are to purchase a MF, create an LLC, and get some experience, hopefully this shows potential to a possible mentor later on. In the long-term I plan on trading up to larger complexes and establish financial freedom early. My interests are in MF rental property, and currently I'd like to zero in on the student housing niche. I am ready to learn and work, I'm a newbie but will try and contribute however I can to this awesome community.

1Reply
10 views

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2008 · 156 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP and to a very exciting and profitable business. I wish you much success. Let me know if I can help you.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Welcome!  I'm curious about the RE finance & dev't major at UTSA.  Are you enjoying your classes??

    Lisa

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    11y

    @Manuel Fernandez

    Hi and welcome to BP and the world of REI!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Lou Castillo thank you I'm excited to be here I appreciate the reply and help, I wish you success as well! @Lisa Moon thank you I'm glad I finally decided to post! I haven't had the chance to take any of my RE classes yet unfortunately, I changed majors from education so am about a semester or so behind in my current degree despite being a junior. My classes in general are great but the thing is unlike other subjects various RE courses may or may not be available semester to semester it's a bit funky. @Larry Fried thank you I'm glad I took this step I feel very welcome here!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 804 posts · 230 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP, a really good place to be.  It is a really awesome site.  There is much to learn.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Joe Moore Thank you, it really is it's a treasure trove of resources and knowledge

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @Manuel Fernandez

     Hey, I'm a newbie as well, I don't live too far from UTSA. Welcome to BP, I hope you have fun here.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Tamela Shannon thanks it's been great so far, and it's nice to know someone on here from around here as well what kind of REI are you interested in?

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Manuel Fernandez Thanks for introducing yourself! It's great to have you!

    Oh - and be sure to set up some keyword alerts - especially for "San Antonio" so you'll be notified when people mention it here in the forums.

    See you around the site!

  • Contractor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 647 posts · 205 votes
    11y

    @Manuel Fernandez, welcome to BP! This is definitely the place to be for good REI info, have fun with it and don't be afraid to reach out!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 0 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Manuel Fernandez:

    @Tamela Shannon thanks it's been great so far, and it's nice to know someone on here from around here as well what kind of REI are you interested in?

     Buy and hold seems like my niche,  maybe with a little flipping from time to time. I've learned so much within the last few weeks of being on here. I've also started building a small network of people just from talking about this at work. What niche are you looking into?

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Manuel Fernandez

     Nice move to jump in, man.  Be active!

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Manuel Fernandez

    Welcome. Take a good look at student housing see below.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers).

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Chad Clanton It's been great so far and thank you I appreciate it! @Tamela Shannon I really like Multi-Family rentals, but more specifically I want to start by focusing in on the student housing niche around school so maybe rent out a SF since so far I haven't seen many MF around school (browsing online anyway), harden it up, and be clear and concise on the agreement since it is STUDENT housing we're talking about. @Ben Leybovich Thank you sir I'm trying to make things happen so I definitely will! @Paul Timmins Definitely thinking student housing so I'll be sure to check these out thanks!

  • Investor · Schertz, TX · Member since 2014 · 70 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    Welcome, Manuel. My son also majors in RE Finance & Development at UTSA. 

    He's just finishing up his second year so I think the 2 of you are pretty much in the same boat with not having taken any of the courses towards your major yet.

    Perhaps you will have a class together in the Fall? I've left him alone so far and haven't hit him up to work in the family business during his first couple of years so he could get his basics out of the way, but he'll be interning for me soon. Free labor's the best kind! Lol

    Good luck in your studies and career.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    I wonder if you can make a partnership with the school. Make them pay you for the students living there...I would research into it see if anyone has done it.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Clint Weir Thank you for your kind words, and wow yeah very similar, I'm planning on taking courses through the summer to stay on track (I'm twenty-two now) and if all goes as planned will take my first RE class this fall. I'm sure we're bound to have some classes together especially being RE majors. 

    Lol non-paid internships definitely have benefits for both parties that's for sure! Is he also a member here on BP? It'd be great connect with someone else who is local and no less a fellow undergrad at UTSA! 

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Tamela Shannon You know that's interesting and it'd be pretty cool if it was possible. I've been thinking about visiting the RE D&F department in the business building anyway since I had some questions about on-campus RE Clubs & Organizations so I could just ask them next week when I go.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 114 votes
    11y

    Hi Manuel!

    Welcome to the group to bigger pockets group! Wishing you success!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Marlon Wilson Thanks Marlon I appreciate it and I wish you much success as well my friend! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.