New Member in Los Angeles/Chicago Markets

New Member in Los Angeles/Chicago Markets

Malibu, CA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 4 votes

Hello!

My name is Dawid and I am a fourth year student at a University in California. My family is originally from Europe. However, we reside in Chicago, IL today. I have been a blue collar worker almost my entire life, literally. When my family came to the United States, they had $5,000.00 in their pockets with 5 young children in toe. With no defined plan for finding work or a place to live they took work where they could find it.

By the time I was 7, I was a full-time janitor cleaning 5 movie theaters in the greater Chicago area working the graveyard shift, school followed every shift. After a good 7 or 8 years, I was able to find a part-time job and leave the semi-embarrassing life that many people could not relate to. by the time I was 18, I was a store manager at a popular national retailer managing over $4M in assets while being a full-time student. I have since moved to California to finish my degree in International Relations. BUT, I'm tired, tired of being simply a student, with my upbringing I am ready to make a change.

This past year my Father was diagnosed with cancer and has since beat the ailment. My parents have worked all their lives; 15-20 hours a day with little to show for their contributions. I know that the most precious asset we all possess is time and I am ready to cash in on that very principle. I have made a vow to myself to have purchased, flipped, and sold a property by the end of this year. I do not break my promises. Please, if you have any advice on how a young 21 year old guy can break into the Real Estate Investment business either in the southern California or Chicago market, do not hesitate to contact me. Any and all advice is welcomed and sincerely appreciated. I am ready to change my family's life, I'm determined, passionate, and I'm done waiting.

3Reply
13 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Dawid K. thanks for introducing yourself! It's great to have you here! Don't miss The BiggerPockets Podcast - they are great for learning how others are finding success.

    Also - here's a couple articles you might enjoy:

    The 21 Best Real Estate Investing Books Ever

    How to Start Investing In Real Estate at a Young Age

    Oh - and be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts- especially for "Malibu" so you'll be notified when people mention it here in the forums.

    Thanks again for introducing yourself!

  • Property Manager · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 72 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    Dawid,

    This is a very moving story. I'm first generation American born and raised in Chicago and my parents are also immigrants. They raised a family of 7 kids on minimum wage and now own several properties. I wish you the very best,  brother. 

    So yourself a favor and read the beginners guide offer here on Bigger pockets. That should give you an idea of how to start. 

    Good luck!

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    11y

    Hey @Dawid K. welcome to BiggerPockets. Wow, that was a really good introduction. I wish the best for you here and in life! Make the most of the site by interacting in the forums -- dont be afraid to ask any question you have related to REI. See you around!

    BiggerPockets
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Dawid K. 

    welcome to the site.

  • Diamond Bar, CA · Member since 2013 · 110 posts · 34 votes
    11y

    @Dawid K.

    Welcome to BP. You can get all your questions answered here on this site. The only thing you would need to do is just ask. =)

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 720 posts · 439 votes
    11y

    Hi @Dawid K. 

    Welcome to BP! I am an emigrant also, and many people around here. You are a hassle and if you stay focused you can make it!

     If you can take a loan, start investing by buying a 3-4 flat in Chicago to live in one of the units and rent the rest to help you cover the mortgage and expenses. If you look hard enough you could find a building where you can live almost for free in one of the units, plus you'll get tax benefits. 

    You can buy owner occupant with as low as 3.5% down. If you don't qualify, see if your mom would qualify. This way you and your family can be close.

    You could also get your Real Estate license while you are studying and learn that side of the business also.

    Let me know if you need more advice!

  • Malibu, CA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Lumi Ispas @Nixon Vayupak @James Wise @Dave Visaya @Sam Chavez @Brandon Turner 

    WOW! Thank you all for such a warm welcome! I cannot wait to get started and get to know all of you better. It is heartwarming to see a community that truly engages with one another. Thank you, again for welcoming me and all the great advice!

    Best regards,

    Dawid.K

  • Involved In Real Estate · Evergreen Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dawid K.:

    Hello!

    My name is Dawid and I am a fourth year student at a University in California. My family is originally from Europe. However, we reside in Chicago, IL today. I have been a blue collar worker almost my entire life, literally. When my family came to the United States, they had $5,000.00 in their pockets with 5 young children in toe. With no defined plan for finding work or a place to live they took work where they could find it.

    By the time I was 7, I was a full-time janitor cleaning 5 movie theaters in the greater Chicago area working the graveyard shift, school followed every shift. After a good 7 or 8 years, I was able to find a part-time job and leave the semi-embarrassing life that many people could not relate to. by the time I was 18, I was a store manager at a popular national retailer managing over $4M in assets while being a full-time student. I have since moved to California to finish my degree in International Relations. BUT, I'm tired, tired of being simply a student, with my upbringing I am ready to make a change.

    This past year my Father was diagnosed with cancer and has since beat the ailment. My parents have worked all their lives; 15-20 hours a day with little to show for their contributions. I know that the most precious asset we all possess is time and I am ready to cash in on that very principle. I have made a vow to myself to have purchased, flipped, and sold a property by the end of this year. I do not break my promises. Please, if you have any advice on how a young 21 year old guy can break into the Real Estate Investment business either in the southern California or Chicago market, do not hesitate to contact me. Any and all advice is welcomed and sincerely appreciated. I am ready to change my family's life, I'm determined, passionate, and I'm done waiting.

     Wow Dawid that was a truly touching story. Your story reminded me of what life is all about. Striving to make the most out of yourself! We all tend to take life for granted sometimes. I have no doubt that you will be extremely successful in the world of Real Estate. I just want to thank you for reminding me what life is all about. If you're ever back in Chicago and need some help, do not hesitate to contact me.

    P.S. Congrats on your father beating his illness

    Good Luck!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP community @Dawid K.  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. 

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Malibu, CA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Ben Oki 

    Thank you for taking the time to read my story and thank for the support! He is stronger than ever!

    I will make sure to keep in touch!

    Best wishes and successful endeavors in the new year,

    Dawid.K 

  • Malibu, CA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko 

    Thank you for the warm welcome! I cannot wait to get started. Thanks for the link, I will make sure to make good use of it!

    Best regards,

    Dawid.K

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.